Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Decent photo printer  (Read 2616 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Decent photo printer
« on: 19 October 2017, 14:32:06 »

Who's using what.

Not interested in a all in one, scanner / copier type machine as i've got a very good stand alone flat bed scanner already.

I just want to print high quality upto A4 (A3 would be a advantage but not essential)

Most pickys will have come from a DSLR and are pretty high res  :y

I've used Epson for years but the inks tend to dry up quickly and non oem inks don't work very well  :(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Decent photo printer
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2017, 14:33:58 »

We use boots. The more they print cheaper it gets.

Once you factor in paper and ink.
Hoof'land storeman.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2017, 14:37:38 »

We use boots. The more they print cheaper it gets.

Once you factor in paper and ink.

Yeh, I was eyeing them up last week  :-\
How good quality are the prints ?

Taking / playing with / printing is a bit of a passion of mine (when time allows)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2017, 14:38:15 »

I think the online and local shops that have sprung up make having your own printer a bit pointless these days, I'd submit them online to a few companies and see which one comes back best. Very cost effective  :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2017, 14:39:48 »

I think the online and local shops that have sprung up make having your own printer a bit pointless these days, I'd submit them online to a few companies and see which one comes back best. Very cost effective  :y

Mmmmmm

Your not the first to say that to me today  :-\

Lincs Robert

« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2017, 14:45:06 »

My Mrs is always emailing them pics of the grandkids - & then picks the piccies up after work. She has framed quite a few & im really impressed with the quality.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2017, 14:46:18 »

Must admit Ive pretty much given up any colour printer now, unless they get used on a daily basis there not cost effective, even the cheap'ys, the ink dries up, doesnt seem to last 5 mins, non oem / refills dont work correctly, the price of decent paper, blah, blah, my lastest printer which is an all singing and dancing type, and wasnt cheap, everytime switched seems to spend more time cleaning itself rather than try and actually print anything.  :-\

I would vote 3rd Party print shops for decent quality prints, at least your not paying for there costs when they dont print properly and get thrown away.  :y
« Last Edit: 19 October 2017, 14:48:36 by zirk »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2017, 14:47:25 »

Mmmmmm

Your not the first to say that to me today  :-\

You can get all sorts with the snaps, calendars, fabric framed wall things, even made into small books to post to people for quite reasonable money  :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2017, 14:49:01 »

Okay, who uses which printing services ?

What sort of prices are we looking at ?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2017, 14:58:08 »

I used CostCo recently for big frame with multiple photos in with various sizes, can't remember the cost but quite cheap

http://costco.photokio.sk

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2017, 15:00:31 »

« Last Edit: 19 October 2017, 15:02:16 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2017, 15:31:13 »

I use an Epson colour laser printer, no dried up ink and the cost per print up to A4 is much cheaper than inkjet. Where the ink is waterproof they also don't run if any small spots of liquid hit them. Comparable in print quality to the Epson Photo 950 inkjet I was using at the time without the hassle and excessive print costs. The main difference is that laser ink gives a matt finish, which I personally prefer anyway and used to specify in the days of film prints.

When I bought mine some time ago Epson was the best for photo quality closely followed by Cannon, whether that is still the case I don't know? They are inexpensive to buy but the OEM cartridges are expensive and depending on the size and price they will either do either 3000 or 5000 prints with an average 5% coverage and they need a new photoconductor after about every 8000 to 12000 prints.

The only other downsides are they are big and very heavy compared to an inkjet and a bit noisier, but the A4 pages are produced very quickly 8-16ppm after a very short warmup period.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2017, 16:00:22 »

I have to say that I use my HP Officejet 7510 A3 wireless all in one constantly, and have found the quality of printing excellent.

I enjoy photography and I have printed untold numbers of photographs onto photographic paper at the best setting and got perfect results.

The convenience of having my own printer to hand, which I also use on wireless to print from my Ipad and phone, is such that I could not be arsed to use other means.

But, no doubt, some will say I am just old fashioned!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2017, 16:06:01 »

I have to say that I use my HP Officejet 7510 A3 wireless all in one constantly, and have found the quality of printing excellent.

I enjoy photography and I have printed untold numbers of photographs onto photographic paper at the best setting and got perfect results.

The convenience of having my own printer to hand, which I also use on wireless to print from my Ipad and phone, is such that I could not be arsed to use other means.

But, no doubt, some will say I am just old fashioned!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

I'm with Lizzie. I've had that exact same model in the house for 2 - 3 years and its been no bother at all.
Starts up after not being used for a few weeks and it just works. No clear print heads etc etc.
We've even started using non HP branded refills and they work fine too so cost are kept down to.
Having said all that we have only ever printed normal 6x4 photos, and a lot of colour a4 work stuff.
Good luck with your search though.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2017, 16:26:56 »

The biggest waster of ink with inkjet printers, especially with HP ones, is switching it off often, because when you switch them on, the machine purges the cartridges into a piss-pot before doing anything else. HP claim that it is to keep the heads clean, but it can't hurt their ink resales either!
It's best to keep the printer on all the time, as I do: I've never had a dried-up cartridge in the last 20 years.....

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.