Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

New Exhaust - Just want to check before I leap in !!!!!!!

(1/11) > >>

DrAndyB:
Hi all,

Looking to put new exhaust on the old girl (took her for a spin today and noticed a slight blow, and MOT next month).  Also, last exhaust was 10+ years ago (or longer I think !) and was a GM one !, and somebody said I had a horse tail following me the other day at work as I cruised around the car park  ;D

Remembering previous discussions on exhausts from this forum, I assume I am correct in assuming:

* The ETS / Eternal one on E.bay (Clamshell) is still a good buy ? - £90 for full system ?
* GM one was pretty quiet.  Assume the ETS one is similar - Not want a tinny sounding thing  :(
* I have the MFL 2.5V6, but fancy the twin tailpipes - I understood the 3.0V6 one will fit exactly same with the twin tailpipe back box?
* Is it a DIY job ?
* Any tips before I attempt ?
* Do I need any type of paste when making all connections on the system ?
* I have ordered 4 new bolts from the stealer - Is this a good idea ?
* Considering a Chrome tail (Nothing obscene, just a small detail finish  :)- Good idea or leave alone ?  any recommendations if others have used.
Thanks in advance all,

Andy.

tunnie:

--- Quote from: DrAndyB on 27 October 2017, 15:50:15 ---Hi all,

Looking to put new exhaust on the old girl (took her for a spin today and noticed a slight blow, and MOT next month).  Also, last exhaust was 10+ years ago (or longer I think !) and was a GM one !, and somebody said I had a horse tail following me the other day at work as I cruised around the car park  ;D

Remembering previous discussions on exhausts from this forum, I assume I am correct in assuming:

* The ETS / Eternal one on E.bay (Clamshell) is still a good buy ? - £90 for full system ? - Yup

* GM one was pretty quiet.  Assume the ETS one is similar - Not want a tinny sounding thing  :( - As close as you will get to GM for the money.

* I have the MFL 2.5V6, but fancy the twin tailpipes - I understood the 3.0V6 one will fit exactly same with the twin tailpipe back box? - Yup

* Is it a DIY job ? - Yup, just a hassle as the bolts often corroded and you have to drill the buggers out. Consider dropping cats/downpipes to work on a bench

* Any tips before I attempt ? - Plusgas the bolts where Zorst bolts to cats.

* Do I need any type of paste when making all connections on the system ? - Holts Hot Gum stuff or similar for paste on cat flange

* I have ordered 4 new bolts from the stealer - Is this a good idea ? - Not sure how good quality dealer bolts will be

* Considering a Chrome tail (Nothing obscene, just a small detail finish  :)- Good idea or leave alone ?  any recommendations if others have used. - All down to your personal choice
[/list]

Thanks in advance all,

Andy.

--- End quote ---

omegod:
I usually use household silicone when joining backboxes to pipes i.e. any sleeved joint, it works a treat

BazaJT:
Personally I'd go with chrome/stainless tips I just think they give that final finish to the exhaust.

terry paget:
Big problem is removing the screws attaching centre section to downpipes. If you break them off, drilling out the remains is a rotten job. I always heat the downpipe ends/screws to red heat with a blow torch before attempting to unscrew them, then do it gingerly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version