Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Exhaust - Just want to check before I leap in !!!!!!!  (Read 8684 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: New Exhaust - Just want to check before I leap in !!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2017, 17:28:43 »

Whilst I agree that DIY is nearly always the way to go, if those bolts shear, its rarely "10mins per bolt", only if you're really lucky.

The last one I did took 22 bits to drill just one of the bolts out (they other 2 drilled out much better)...

But you are notoriously hard on things!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2017, 17:44:49 »

If the original mounting rubbers are GM and are good condition then re-use them rather than using the ones that come with the ETS kit as they will be stretched and splitting around 18 months - 2 years.

That's not my experience; mine have been on there three years(might be four :o ) with no problems. I HATE messing about with exhausts, and my procedure is simple: replace everything, at the same time, with new.

Well I've fitted four ETS exhausts on various Omega's and used the rubbers supplied on the first two and they've failed in that time frame (picked up by my local MOT man) after that I just refitted the GM ones - no problems. Maybe they changed suppliers at some point?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2017, 17:56:06 »

Ive yet to change an omega exhaust where the cat to centre box bolts have come out. Had to drill them every time, which isn't easy when laid under the car with little room to move around.
Having said that,I have never taken one to have someone lese do it for me - yet.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2017, 19:59:51 »

As long as you don't cut your face open with an angle grinder ::) :-X

you was unlucky. :'(

in all the years I fitted exhausts, I never once used an angle grinder,,, blue spanner O yes, air chisel, air saw, and big hammer.
Hoof'land storeman.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 October 2017, 20:04:40 »

you was unlucky. :'( clumsy

in all the years I fitted exhausts, I never once used an angle grinder,,, blue spanner O yes, air chisel, air saw, and big hammer.

FTFY :y

Angle grinder isn't the tool of choice for exhaust work(that's the hot spanner), but if it's all you have..........

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 October 2017, 20:07:39 »

Have had many eternal car systems as good or better than GM. tWIN PIPE 3.0 BOX A DIRECT FIT. Not really a diy job if your old one been on for 10 yrs...

Rubbish!
If the downpipe to system bolts undo, then it's a 40minute start-to-finish job, on your own, in the street.
If using a DIY drill add 10minutes per bolt that doesn't undo. Replace with a longer bolt and nut. If you have oxy-acetylene, heat the stub of the bolt to cherry red and punch the bastard thing out - 1minute plus however long it takes to get the tools out.

This is a job where DIY not only makes sense, but is to be recommended.
Whilst I agree that DIY is nearly always the way to go, if those bolts shear, its rarely "10mins per bolt", only if you're really lucky.

The last one I did took 22 bits to drill just one of the bolts out (they other 2 drilled out much better)...

the bolts harden, due to the continued heating and cooling of the system,   quality drill bits help.

my own personal way, I know nickw, will shout, I remove the downpipes to drill them out, as I don't have access to a blue spanner at home, but do have use of one at work if I really need too.
Hoof'land storeman.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 October 2017, 20:09:43 »

you was unlucky. :'( clumsy

FTFY :y

Angle grinder isn't the tool of choice for exhaust work(that's the hot spanner), but if it's all you have..........

we call it the blue spanner.
Hoof'land storeman.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 October 2017, 18:44:18 »

I tried to drill out the studs on my exhaust but i gave up in the end and then I struggled to remove the cats too. but I wish that I never had to replace the damn cats as they sound tinny as hell  >:(.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 October 2017, 19:40:12 »

I tried to drill out the studs on my exhaust but i gave up in the end and then I struggled to remove the cats too. but I wish that I never had to replace the damn cats as they sound tinny as hell  >:(.
The cat on one of my 2.5s rattles too, but it still passes MOTs on emissions so I guess it still works.
As said before, it is worth persevering with undoing the screws holding centre section to cat section; it saves so much time and aggravation. I have not had a failure in 10 years, using heat and patience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 October 2017, 19:50:04 »

If the original mounting rubbers are GM and are good condition then re-use them rather than using the ones that come with the ETS kit as they will be stretched and splitting around 18 months - 2 years.

That's not my experience; mine have been on there three years(might be four :o ) with no problems. I HATE messing about with exhausts, and my procedure is simple: replace everything, at the same time, with new.

Well I've fitted four ETS exhausts on various Omega's and used the rubbers supplied on the first two and they've failed in that time frame (picked up by my local MOT man) after that I just refitted the GM ones - no problems. Maybe they changed suppliers at some point?
My experience more or less matches what you have experienced. Both ETS and Eternal supply really low quality rubber hangers. IME, the shitty old ones tend to last longer than the provided ones, assuming they are not badly knackered.
Grumpy old man

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 November 2017, 11:06:29 »

Thanks all for advice.

I shall order the ETS one from the Bay of Flea and may see if I can get a respected independent garage to pop new one on for a few quid, but I may try soaking the bolts first, give them a warm and see if they will move as I did get some plusgas.

Assume the whole 3.0V6 kit is OK for the 2.5V6 (no changes in middle sections).

This I believe is the one of choice ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-SALOON-3-0-208HP-1994-2001-Silencer-Exhaust-System-/150810088414?hash=item231cfb53de

Also, looks like delivery is free  :y

Thanks for advice.
Andy.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 November 2017, 15:14:34 »

This I believe is the one of choice ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-SALOON-3-0-208HP-1994-2001-Silencer-Exhaust-System-/150810088414?hash=item231cfb53de

Just ordered it now  :y

Quick crawl under car and front bolts look surprisingly clean  :D  Proof of the pudding, is in the Plusgas I guess and give a bit a clean to make sure  :y

She was blowing ever so slightly from one of the middle silencers, and I can see more wadding if I look up tailpipe and I pulled a piece of rusty metal out of it !!!!!!!!! :D :D

Guess its time for the old girl to have new one after 10+ years !

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 November 2017, 19:02:36 »

Many years ago I decide not to do my own exhausts, thus avoiding muck on the face in the eyes etc. Anything else mechanical I'm game for. :y

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 November 2017, 08:29:19 »

Must be variable Nick, my new ETS rubbers disintegrated in short order so I popped the 10 year old GM's back on.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 November 2017, 19:00:54 »

Ordered one from Eternal,supposed to have been delivered today by DPD,got home to find that despite the option to leave it with any of my neighbours they'd taken it away again and are going to deliver it again tomorrow,when I still won't be in as I'll be at work,so who knows if/when/how I'll get it.Meanwhile 3 of the 4 cat flange bolts came out,the 4th sheared >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.