Author Topic: Memory  (Read 3440 times)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
Memory
« on: 27 October 2017, 17:20:19 »

Ive notice my notebook is running tad slower than it used to...not quite sure why...

Ive run a full antivirus scan and Malwarebytes....nothing found..

Ive uninstalled any programs that I don't use and deleted a few programs from the startup group...

So I only have 2GB of memory and under normal use its using 90% plus of that.....so I'm thinking that adding more memory might do the trick...

Seems to have gone a bit slow since the large win10 update....

According to task manager its got a SODIMM 2GB 1333Mhz with a free slot....

So if I were to buy this, would the notebook be happy, no idea of the make of SODIMM already in there...

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-corsair-ddr3-so-dimm-pc3-10600-(1333)-204-pin-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-150v

Any ideas? It looks ok to me, but would it be better to buy a 4GB SODIMM and replace the 2GB one that's there?  :-\

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: Memory
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2017, 18:49:21 »

It will be fine with the extra 2Gb, the only time they need to be matched is using dual channel  :y

Windows ideally should have 4Gb unless you have a program that require more.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2017, 18:52:13 »

Do you use CCleaner or similar regularly Dave? I am always amazed at how much junk Windows stores. :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2017, 08:26:27 »

It will be fine with the extra 2Gb, the only time they need to be matched is using dual channel  :y

Windows ideally should have 4Gb unless you have a program that require more.

Thankyou  :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2017, 08:27:27 »

Do you use CCleaner or similar regularly Dave? I am always amazed at how much junk Windows stores. :y

Just tried it....it did clear out quite a bit  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2017, 15:17:39 »

MEMORY !1Dont talk to me about firkin memory. I'm 58 years old today and cant remember what I did five minutes ago, but my 18th birthday seems like it was yesterday.  ;D :'(  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2017, 17:11:31 »

TD - presumably with only 2Gb, you are running 32bit Windows.  Note that on consumer grade kit, any 32bit OS such as Windows will not see beyond about 3Gb (figure varies with actual hardware).

For day to day use on 32bit Windows, 2Gb should be more than enough.  Its certainly what's in my daily laptop, the diags PC and my electronics desk PC.  For 64bit Windows, 2Gb is tight.

You may be able to adjust that maximum amount it can reserve for graphics in the BIOS, particularly if using a non Intel chipset or discrete graphics.

Lastly, Windows, like any other modern OS, will try to maximise the resources it has available.  In Task Manager, its the commit value that's probably key - post that up :y
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2017, 17:47:04 »

TD - presumably with only 2Gb, you are running 32bit Windows.  Note that on consumer grade kit, any 32bit OS such as Windows will not see beyond about 3Gb (figure varies with actual hardware).

For day to day use on 32bit Windows, 2Gb should be more than enough.  Its certainly what's in my daily laptop, the diags PC and my electronics desk PC.  For 64bit Windows, 2Gb is tight.

You may be able to adjust that maximum amount it can reserve for graphics in the BIOS, particularly if using a non Intel chipset or discrete graphics.

Lastly, Windows, like any other modern OS, will try to maximise the resources it has available.  In Task Manager, its the commit value that's probably key - post that up :y

Yes its running 32bit win10...
Its also got an Intel chipset for graphics....its runs an Intel program to manage it...
Nothing in the bios about graphics that I could see  :(
Committed value is 3.9/4.6GB ..... not sure what that means  :-\
« Last Edit: 28 October 2017, 18:01:24 by TD »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2017, 19:36:55 »

Its using 3.9Gb, there is a total of 4.6Gb of virtual memory (Physical ram plus pagefile in windows).  Sounds massively excessive.

How many processes are running (Task Manager)?  Is it the manufacturer's bastardised build, subsequently upgraded to Win10? If so, a rebuild is best clean up option.

I think unless you need the extra storage space, spend money on SSD, and rebuild from scratch on the SSD (I know from one of your former lives, this is trivial to you :y)
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2017, 07:13:43 »

It came with win10 on it....and yes, it could probably benefit with a rebuild  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2017, 19:39:50 »

It came with win10 on it....and yes, it could probably benefit with a rebuild  :y
Ah, if its the manufacturer's build, you know that will be full of guff, even if you've cleared most of it out.

Before creating the media, check how the licencing is done on it (Settings > <bottom option, something like security> > Activation), and the version (ie, Pro or not). If activated with digital licence, use MS Media Creator to create bootable USB to rebuild. Obviously you need backups, backups and backups, yada yada yada.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2017, 20:16:26 »

..... I'm 58 years old today and  ..

A belated Happy Birthday  🍻 🍰

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2017, 17:45:49 »

Its using 3.9Gb, there is a total of 4.6Gb of virtual memory (Physical ram plus pagefile in windows).  Sounds massively excessive.

How many processes are running (Task Manager)?  Is it the manufacturer's bastardised build, subsequently upgraded to Win10? If so, a rebuild is best clean up option.

I think unless you need the extra storage space, spend money on SSD, and rebuild from scratch on the SSD (I know from one of your former lives, this is trivial to you :y)

LOL, I rebuilt it this afternoon.....and it took most of the afternoon  ::)

If I hadn't of had a USB keyboard lying about I'd have been stuffed, as one of the things win10 wouldn't recognise (sound card being another) was the keyboard! Bit difficult trying to setup without a working keyboard!

Had to use USB keyboard then head over to manu's website and download a win10 driver installation.....which sorted everything out!  :)

Its certainly quicker now and committed is now 2.6/3.4GB with edge open and 5 tabs....  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2017, 18:40:53 »

committed is now 2.6/3.4GB with edge open and 5 tabs....  :y
That's about the right ballpark :y
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2017, 13:47:45 »

if its an old Notebook just keep it clean, more memory will help but an old'ish CPU that will soon start to hit 100% if its full of crap.

Ive got an old Sammy Atom CPU with 2GB Ram (Max it will allow) running Win10 Pro, which I use as a little run around on the go, fully backed up, so not that fussed if I lose it or it it goes bang, but it still runs sweet because its kept clean.

Ive emptied the Start Up on it, the only thing I have running on Start Up is my AV (in my case Win Defender), anything else I can wait or start it when needed, makes a big difference on an old machine.

As TB says, fresh install is the way to go every time, I probably do mine every year or two, especially after a major update, the amount of crap left behind or built up over the years can really make a difference.

Im a great Partition lover as well, Disk Partitions are useful tools, All my Own Data plus the Windows stuff, Docs, Downloads, Vids, Pics etc are kept on another Partition, so my C drive is purely Windows stuff, so much easier to back up or disk clone. and recover if need be.

If youve just rebuilt it, now a good opportunity to clone the drive and kept it tucked away somewhere, I tend to go over board, I clone or disk image the bare Win virgin install Drive, then clone again after my required basic Apps have been installed, ie Office etc, they get labeled and kept for a rainy day.

Weekly within House Keeping I use CCleaner and Glary Utilities to clean then reboot and do a Restore Point, Monthly I also MawlwareBytes and a full Partition(s) Back Up.

Ive probably got a Glary Utilities Pro Lifetime Licence kicking around somewhere, your welcome to have a copy of that if you want to start using it, but again just remember to rid of all these cleaners and stuff from the Start Up Menu.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 November 2017, 17:16:34 »

Ive probably got a Glary Utilities Pro Lifetime Licence kicking around somewhere, your welcome to have a copy of that if you want to start using it, but again just remember to rid of all these cleaners and stuff from the Start Up Menu.

Thankyou, Ive had a look at Glary Utilities and seems useful tool to have  :y :)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 November 2017, 18:23:18 »

Thankyou, Ive had a look at Glary Utilities and seems useful tool to have  :y :)
PM sent.  ;)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 November 2017, 18:34:42 »

PM sent.  ;)

Replied  :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.