Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil. How hard can it be.  (Read 11487 times)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: Oil. How hard can it be.
« Reply #30 on: 08 November 2017, 13:04:00 »

Personally I don`t see the point in trying to find oil for £20/5l on a car that costs £1000`s
I'm an habitual oil changer.  I'm already at 8k on this oil, hence the urgency to actually now get some, as in my mind, its already 3k overdue.

Making it £100 for a DIY change 3-4 times a year adds a considerable amount to running costs.

I admire the ambition, but I don't fancy lying under the car every 6 weeks  ;D. So mine's staying in for the full 12,500 miles

Heathen  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 November 2017, 14:00:59 »

Personally I don`t see the point in trying to find oil for £20/5l on a car that costs £1000`s
I'm an habitual oil changer.  I'm already at 8k on this oil, hence the urgency to actually now get some, as in my mind, its already 3k overdue.

Making it £100 for a DIY change 3-4 times a year adds a considerable amount to running costs.

I would imagine, though, that the wizzo oil specs are just to make the engine last the (no doubt optimistic) manufacturer's service schedule without lunching itself. If you're going to change the oil more regularly then you can probably afford to use less exotic oils anyway.

It's only an engine, after all.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 November 2017, 14:39:16 »

But that would make buying oil as easy as getting any low saps 5w30 from any where.
What kind of OOFer are you to suggest such a thing?

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 08 November 2017, 14:49:24 »

My diesel astra is going the full twelve months between services, which probably will equate to ~15000 miles.
It’s a car....a modern car...it’s what people do.  ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 November 2017, 15:39:43 »

But that would make buying oil as easy as getting any low saps 5w30 from any where.

One who just fills his car boot with Halfrauds oil every time they have a special offer.  ;D

215k miles and counting with no engine issues. That's the thing - the engine in a modern car will still be working long after the bodywork has rusted away if it's reasonably well looked-after. OK, if you have a warranty to keep up, then you might need to put your hand in your pocket for the pucker oil once a year, just to get a receipt for the file, but for extra oil changes over and above that - who cares?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 November 2017, 15:43:09 »

I admire the ambition, but I don't fancy lying under the car every 6 weeks  ;D. So mine's staying in for the full 12,500 miles

I used to do as Jamie with my Omega but the Merc has tended to be serviced as per Jimmy's ie when the car tells me at about 15000  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 November 2017, 17:25:39 »

True, unfortunately this is the cost of running more expensive cars.

If you can buy your oil for your planned annual oil changes using discount codes and get free delivery then it makes it a bit more palatable.
I'm sure you mean 6 monthly ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 November 2017, 17:27:53 »

I work on the basis that whatever the claimed life is, it needs to be halved, possibly with exception of dot4 brake fluid, that's normally good for the claimed 2yrs.

So oil must be done 6 monthly (or 5k), coolant 2-3yrs for 5yr stuff etc.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 November 2017, 17:36:44 »

That was the problem, trying to find low saps C1 oil, meeting stupid Fraud spec 934-b, at a sensible price.  Not helped when *EVERY* stupid web site like Euroshite actually specify an unsuitable oil for my car (probably because they make better profit on the lower spec Fraud 913 (which when you look up that Ford spec clearly state unsuitable for DPF cars)).

The shit ain't gonna be in there long enough to worry about marketing wank. But I ain't so stupid to put in what Euroshite and friends "recommend", because I'm not enough of a sucker to believe what they say.

So I've acquired some, that meets the spec, I reckon an oil change will come to just under £40, as the filters are a bit pricey at just over £5 delivered.

At current mileage, I expect it to get new oil approx. 3 - 4 times a year max, as its only insured for 20k pa.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 November 2017, 21:04:08 »

True, unfortunately this is the cost of running more expensive cars.

If you can buy your oil for your planned annual oil changes using discount codes and get free delivery then it makes it a bit more palatable.
I'm sure you mean 6 monthly ;)

No, what I meant was buy enough oil for all the changes you will do in a year  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 November 2017, 08:00:58 »

That was the problem, trying to find low saps C1 oil, meeting stupid Fraud spec 934-b, at a sensible price.  Not helped when *EVERY* stupid web site like Euroshite actually specify an unsuitable oil for my car (probably because they make better profit on the lower spec Fraud 913 (which when you look up that Ford spec clearly state unsuitable for DPF cars)).

The shit ain't gonna be in there long enough to worry about marketing wank. But I ain't so stupid to put in what Euroshite and friends "recommend", because I'm not enough of a sucker to believe what they say.

So I've acquired some, that meets the spec, I reckon an oil change will come to just under £40, as the filters are a bit pricey at just over £5 delivered.

At current mileage, I expect it to get new oil approx. 3 - 4 times a year max, as its only insured for 20k pa.

Further research suggests I don't have a Fraud engine....its a JLR one.....now try finding stuff for that!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 November 2017, 11:53:37 »

Reminds me I need more GM 10/40, I thought I had loads left in drum. But it was empty, had enough for this change though.

Sheer delight of an oil change though, takes minutes. Modern cars which have massive under trays and access issues, no dip stick worry me for Jag XF/XJ if I DIY.  :(

2boxerdogs

« Reply #43 on: 10 November 2017, 12:33:51 »

Glad I've got the old Merc , always had Mobil 1 fully synthetic from new & I have continued with that,  oil changes bi annually as recommended  not bothered about the cost of the oil Halfords had it on offer so  bought 16 litres and watched MB of Boston use it when it was serviced there I've only done 7,000 miles in the two years I've had it not used a drop & still a nice golden colour.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 November 2017, 14:35:43 »

Reminds me I need more GM 10/40, I thought I had loads left in drum. But it was empty, had enough for this change though.

Sheer delight of an oil change though, takes minutes. Modern cars which have massive under trays and access issues, no dip stick worry me for Jag XF/XJ if I DIY.  :(

Igenium engine has a dipstick  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.