Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NCDC 2013 nav issues  (Read 4883 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
NCDC 2013 nav issues
« on: 08 November 2017, 15:22:46 »

Bit of advise required please guys.

Nav unit has always been temperamental since I first acquired it with paired screen some years ago.

As the disc would get ejected with message advising dirty and couldn't be read ,I went down the route of getting a new laser from Gerbers in Germany.Whilst I rarely ever used the nav system

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: NCDC 2013 nav issues
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2017, 15:27:43 »

Bit of advise required please guys.

Nav unit has always been temperamental since I first acquired it with paired screen some years ago.

As the disc would get ejected with message advising dirty and couldn't be read ,I went down the route of getting a new laser from Gerbers in Germany.Whilst I rarely ever used the nav system I like things that are designed and ment to work to work as intended,so I went down the route of having the new laser fitted today.

Despite it being replaced correctly by a qualified guy the fault remains and his advise is the entire mechanism needs replacing as the spindle isn't getting the disc to spin.

Is it possible for this part to still be purchased and if so where and ideas of costs would be helpful.I am not confident replacing it myself although if it only requires the old part removing and replacing almost like for like with limited electrical ability will give it a go.

Appreciate the nav system on these units is now very old fashion,but if it should work I would quite like it to again.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2017, 15:36:04 »

I've one with a paired screen that I bought a while ago, and have no use for.
I haven't tried it, but Big Al assured me it was working when he removed it.
You're welcome to try it if that would help.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2017, 15:44:05 »

Thanks for that Nick...appreciate offer .

Does it have the full colour screen etc or just the non CID,as might be I need to dismantle it if that's possible with them.

We might need to talk outright purchase though as unsure if my plan is viable :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2017, 20:11:31 »

Guessing Bose or non Bose will come into play if your swapping Units.;)  also does yours not have Nokia Telematics  :-\
« Last Edit: 08 November 2017, 20:14:04 by zirk »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2017, 20:15:04 »

Both from Elites so think they would be Bose.

Would it be possible to just take nav complete unit from A and swop into B without messing up the paring and see that as simplest route

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2017, 20:27:32 »

Both from Elites so think they would be Bose.

Would it be possible to just take nav complete unit from A and swop into B without messing up the paring and see that as simplest route
If you mean the whole half Din Sat Unit its paired, but if you leave the PCB's intact and swap just the mechanics then that should be fine.

Im just thinking out loud why the spindle wont spin, does it reconize the CD is in there, and did it work before he changed the laser?

What happens if you put a music disc in and use the CDC button, does that work?

« Last Edit: 08 November 2017, 20:32:32 by zirk »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2017, 20:36:26 »

The Nav drive unit (as in the cradle assembly with laser unit) can be swapped complete, three screws, two ribbon cables from memory.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2017, 21:09:02 »

Thanks Chris.

Yes unit worked fine for past 4+ years with disc,but has now stopped and keeps throwing disc out as states cannot be read.This was the same message before laser was changed.

Havent tried a music disc as yet but there is no audible sound when disc is inserted of anything spinning .

VXL V6.

So for a very simple fix the internals of the nav unit can be replaced in its entire without anything needing soldering/pairing or complicated electronics.

Basically split the units  then take cover off ..couple of screws and unplug cables then refit ?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2017, 21:16:01 »

Swap this bit....

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2017, 21:22:10 »

Cheers for the picture.

Assume it removes quite simply ..no little springs etc...just couple of screws and ribbon cable .

Sorry for silly questions but bits of wood is my trade ;D ;D ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2017, 21:38:45 »

Thanks Chris.

Yes unit worked fine for past 4+ years with disc,but has now stopped and keeps throwing disc out as states cannot be read.This was the same message before laser was changed.

Havent tried a music disc as yet but there is no audible sound when disc is inserted of anything spinning .

Well the symptoms you have been having for the last 4 years are pretty much standard lazar failing, if its not the disc, hence why I said try a music CD, but in both cases you can normally hear the disc spinning up and or the laser mech going eegt, eegt.
when it first inserted, by the way to get music to sound from the amp on the top deck you need to select the CDCc button. So sounds like, from what he is saying is that its not spinning up now and why he suspects spindle motor or what ever, could it be a faulty repair, ie, disc load sensor, switch somewhere from the repair??

By the way, stupid question I know, but he has changed the correct laser, upper deck one?  ;D
« Last Edit: 08 November 2017, 21:47:53 by zirk »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2017, 21:57:45 »

Chris.

All valid points but I must assume he has replaced laser as he showed me what appeared to the similar part as I supplied although I left unit with him for the day.

Up to around 12 months ago the unit worked fine..would load nav disc and display map etc,just 1 day it stopped working and the disc would just get bounced in and out with message on screen saying it cant be read.

Disc is spotless,but could be a disc fault so first place to start is with another disc and see if that loads.Will try the audio disc as advised tomorrow and see what results that gives.Presume if I get sound then not machine fault ,although remember when it used to work there was a distinct sound when discs was loading ,but that noise isn't present now.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2017, 22:00:47 »

Cheers for the picture.

Assume it removes quite simply ..no little springs etc...just couple of screws and ribbon cable .

Sorry for silly questions but bits of wood is my trade ;D ;D ;D

That's right. Ribbon Cable plugs (on the main head unit) are quite fragile though.

Another Pic stolen from Internet showing the unit in situ

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2017, 22:26:57 »

Thanks for guidance and help with my never ending silly questions,but I think I have the basis of what needs doing and looks to be within my comfort zone.

Will try another disc first just to rule out that as being the cause of the problem ,then will attempt to source and dismantle a known working unit .

Thanks all again :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.