Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PESCO. Anyone know about it ?  (Read 1839 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
PESCO. Anyone know about it ?
« on: 09 November 2017, 19:45:28 »

It doesn't seem to be getting much media coverage.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

Re: PESCO. Anyone know about it ?
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2017, 20:15:05 »

Does anyone care? Pretty soon we won’t have anything to contribute anyway.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2017, 20:21:59 »

Google was my friend

Peshawar Electric Supply Company

None the wiser, give us a clue please?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2017, 20:39:11 »

Basically, its the formation of the EU army. And I heard today, that despite Brexit, the UK is  being signed up to it on  Monday !  :o
https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage_en/34226/Permanent%20Structured%20Cooperation%20(PESCO)%20-%20Factsheet
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2017, 20:55:57 »

Oh, didnt see that.

Well with my cynic hat on it all makes sense. Both sides are dragging their feet in the Brexit negotiations waiting for May’s government to collapse in six to seven months time. The government that follows will kow tow to the EU . Then a deal can be struck to leave Britain as the milk cow for the EU.

In the meantime it makes sense to have a seamless defence policy. Russia, terrorists and Iran arent waiting till Brexit is concluded. 

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2017, 20:58:03 »

Good reason to try and get the hell out NOW. Fat chance ;D

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2017, 21:01:43 »

Can anyone really, seriously see all of the different elements working together, that’s if we even get agreement on who contributes what.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2017, 21:19:50 »

I think that the formation of an EU military is more about the desire of EU politicians to have the ability to project hard power, than the defence of Europe.  ::)  Why spend vast amounts of taxpayers money replicating NATO (minus the USA, Canada, Turkey and other non EU countries), when it has guaranteed the peace in Europe for nearly 70 years?  ???

I'm certain that the eventual aim is to abolish national militaries and have a single EU force headquartered in Brussels and I wonder how these forces would be sent into action? A vote in the EU Parliament, the European Council, or just on the say so of the EU Commission?  :o  >:(

The other thing to think about is that we havn't had conscription in the UK since National Service was abolished in 1960.  Most European countries still had conscription until recently, but many still have it.  Germany for example still has it and I believe that Sweden has recently reintroduced it.  So there is a tradition for conscription in Europe that we don't have any more, but I'm sure that it could be introduced for the EU military.  ;)

I wonder how loudly all the remoaners will squeal when their little snowflakes get called up to serve on some unelected and unaccountable EU politicians vanity project in some Middle Eastern hell hole?  :o  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2017, 21:22:18 »

The various elements would, I suppose work togather as well, or as badly as the U.S armed forces do. There is the language barrier, but they could enforce Esperanto on us.  ::)
I think its very obviously another big step towards the creation of the U.S.E. We have been marching in that direction since its inception, so this isn't a big shock.
The shock to me , if its true, is the U.K. being signed up to it, with no publicity, despite Brexit.
« Last Edit: 09 November 2017, 21:24:28 by Migv6 »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2017, 21:54:44 »

A tweet from one of those US exceptionally bright geopolitical professor's Andrew Michta who is generally right and attended the Warsaw Security Forum this week where it was discussed:

"Perhaps because in the end national priorities will once again prevail. The issue is not the lack of coordination-it’s the bottom line. I am afraid #PESCO will soon join the long list of EU acronyms everyone brings up at think tank sessions but nobody really cares about.My 2cents"

In other words, fine ideas but none of the EU players will be prepared to come up with the money to make it happen. Another cool European paper army! 8) 8) 8) The German army would supply some broomsticks and black paint, except they need them for their own rifle training exercises next week. ::) ::) ::) I kid you not that this is what they did 2 years ago due to a shortage of rifles. :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2017, 22:15:54 »

That is where Britain comes in.  Like in NATO where few of the players contribute their agreed percent of GdP , they will continue to benefit from those that do like Britain.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2017, 22:23:59 »

As I understand it, but I'm probably wrong ....  The EU have agreed to set up PESCO, we are still part of the EU until BREXIT actually occurs, therefore by definition we are, presently, part of PESCO. When we leave the EU we will also leave PESCO, unless we sign up to it as a separate matter, however, under the current terms of PESCO no nation outside the EU can be a part of PESCO, therefore when we leave the EU we leave PESCO.

simples ...  :)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2017, 22:34:40 »

As I understand it, but I'm probably wrong ....  The EU have agreed to set up PESCO, we are still part of the EU until BREXIT actually occurs, therefore by definition we are, presently, part of PESCO. When we leave the EU we will also leave PESCO, unless we sign up to it as a separate matter, however, under the current terms of PESCO no nation outside the EU can be a part of PESCO, therefore when we leave the EU we leave PESCO.

simples ...  :)

Maybe. I wonderif it comes wih a hefty PESCO exit bill no one is aware of?

Also it is funny that wecan be part of stuff like this while the two years Brexit clock is running but are excluded from other stuff already.

Anyway it is all academic as we arent leaving anything. ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 November 2017, 22:40:54 »

My understanding, from the conversation I was listening to on the radio today, is that it isn't compulsory or automatic for member states to join. They choose to or not, as with the single market and currency.  :-\

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2017, 23:02:58 »

I thought when an army is looking for three volunteers, the sergeant points and says you, you and you. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.