Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Two weeks to say how much we are going to pay  (Read 11357 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Two weeks to say how much we are going to pay
« Reply #75 on: 21 November 2017, 16:35:13 »

Great, maybe hotel prices in London will go down a bit now then! ;D

I can certainly see London becoming less important.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 21 November 2017, 17:26:23 »

Some banking operations are already moving abroad.

The EBA (European banking authority) is moving from London to Paris.

And the European Medicines Agency  ::) ::) :( :(

Yep.....Amsterdam. Located in London since 1995 and employs around 900 people in Canary Wharf, apparently.

Put into perspective since the June Brexit vote 300,000 jobs have been created in the UK and the current number of job vacancies has also grown. Where the EU and many mainland European Governments don't care much about business success, wealth creation and jobs like we do in the UK and in Eastern European countries like Poland, unemployment especially youth unemployment is much, much higher than the UK.

Shock horror for Remoaners, Brexit is a divorce, who would have thought it! So I expect each party to take back and assume control in many areas. We are doing the same in where the EU has taken control of trade deals, CFP and CAP etc. The moribund EU Commission decision-making process also cannot cope with the rate of Global change, UK Government pre-EU had a very good record in the introduction of innovative legislation in many changing areas like copyright protection of computer games to biotechnology which gives us a competitive advantage. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 21 November 2017, 17:41:19 »

Sigh, where to start......... ::)
No deal does not automatically mean a hard border in Ireland. Nor does it threaten the so called peace process (someones bluff needs calling on that one).
The border can remain open on the conditions that the Dublin Govt. are responsible for ensuring that a serious problem doesn't develop where illegal immigrants arrive in the Republic of Ireland and then try to enter the UK by heading north to the border.
Also, if any kind of terrorists come across the border and then nip back down south again, the UK will reserve the right to take any security measures needed to protect its people. Job done.
No need to worry about customs, as that border has always been more porous than a sponge and no-one cared, so why make an issue of it now ?
As for the DUP. Most of them aren't religious at all, although their founding father was. Even his son has been known to get blind drunk, although he got pretty concerned when a copper found him and said "I'm gonna tell your Da".  ;D
I'm surprised the DUP are said to be so strongly against the possibility of a hard border, as the Republic has been seen by many Loyalists to be an aggressor and an enemy (often with good reason)  and would prefer it to be on a different continent.  ::)
What they will not stand for (and rightly so), is the notion of a border in the Irish sea, between mainland Britain and the island of Ireland
The £40 billion or whatever the figure is, is ludicrous. Its politics again. The politics of uniting the cabinet, by a compromise which doesn't completely suit anyone but will probably bring the remoaners, such as Hammond and Rudd close to being "on message" with the rest of them.
If we need to pay them to access their market. We should be reminding them that they sell a hell of a lot more to use than we sell to them, so they need to make a generous offer to access our market in return.
What we need right now is a clone of Thatcher to appear out of the mist, to scare the bejaysus out of the pygmies in Brussels like she used to.
Or at least a PM in possession of a spine.

A hard border is an EU problem, not a UK one so we need to do nothing apart from having an electronic customs system so all official importers declare their goods pay any import duties for goods imported from Eire into NI. A customs deport and bonded warehouse can be located anywhere and importers can be called from time-to-time to go there and have their loads inspected. The EU is a protectionist area where they restrict competition through high import tariffs and quotas. Why should we care if ROW uses the border as a cheap import route into the EU? ::) ::) ::) It is not our problem. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 21 November 2017, 18:21:30 »

It seems quite apt that the European Drugs Agency is to be located in Amsterdam!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 21 November 2017, 18:22:17 »

Unlikely.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 21 November 2017, 18:43:45 »

Unlikely.

If you look at this from another angle the EU are moving their banking authority from a city that's a global banking centre, to a city that's not even a regional banking centre.  ::)

Now tell me again who's diminished by this move?  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 21 November 2017, 20:00:25 »

Unlikely.

If you look at this from another angle the EU are moving their banking authority from a city that's a global banking centre, to a city that's not even a regional banking centre.  ::)

Perhaps that should read.........from a city that 'used to be' the global banking centre. ;)

Nothing is forever, even my good looks and charm will eventually fade. :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 21 November 2017, 21:07:05 »

Unlikely.

Perhaps that should read.........from a city that 'used to be' the global banking centre. ;)

Don't you know Opti that after Brexit Great Britain will be THE new world power, the centre of the world's trade, and everyone is going to be so rich..............??!!! ::) ::)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 21 November 2017, 22:49:51 »

Unlikely.

How so? Are we to assume that passporting rights for financial services will be exempted from the lack of free movement of people/goods/services? If we don't get passporting rights, why would Paris or Frankfurt not be a preferred option?

Put into perspective since the June Brexit vote 300,000 jobs have been created in the UK

But down 60,000 in the last quarter. 30,000 job vacancies down also.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 22 November 2017, 00:31:31 »

I bet that there will be much wailing and knashing of teeth and accusations of a stitch up, especially from the EU's newer members that two of the EU's founding members have landed these agencies.   ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 22 November 2017, 03:15:14 »

Unlikely.

Don't you know Opti that after Brexit Great Britain will be THE new world power, the centre of the world's trade, and everyone is going to be so rich..............??!!! ::) ::)

You mean like Singapore where this is a good free-trading post-Brexit vision for the UK. Read up on where Singapore was after independence until now. Reading about how well we administered Hong Kong compared with how our political f*ckwits ruled the UK in comparison especially Liebour ones is also a good one. The irony of how well a technocratic administration with Hong Kong can manage an economic area compared with the total self-serving mess the EU Commission has made is not lost on me. :o :o :o

The City of London is not going anywhere despite what Remoaners wish as it is cheaper, easier and more profitable to do business here than other European mainland wannabe financial centres. It takes about 100 years to build the infrastructure and skills to make a major financial centre, which is why China has been so lucky in inheriting Hong Kong.

Remoaner Passporting drama is also a non-story as this has already been sorted by London based financial institutions and don't forget that the reverse also applies to European financial institutions being able to carry on trading here. For those that don't know this is largely handled by the UK having the same financial laws as the EU where there are international reciprocal agreements, which both parties are signatories of.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 22 November 2017, 08:37:22 »

From what I read, the reason that the rest of Europe is making it hard for us is that the EU will go into bankruptcy after we go

Keith ABS

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 22 November 2017, 08:59:31 »

UK factory output is at its highest level since 1988. Ive seen this with my own employer. The order books are full to bursting, and the only problem they seem to have is convincing the workforce to work 25 hours a day 8 days a week.
My share options are more valuable by the day.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 22 November 2017, 09:53:57 »

I wonder how big business across the EU feels about potentially being denied access to the world's biggest financial centre and whether the political project is worth the price once their banking costs inevitably rise when and if the EU pull up the drawbridge.  ::)
« Last Edit: 22 November 2017, 09:55:32 by Sir Tigger QC »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 22 November 2017, 11:22:21 »

It seems that the pragmatic German businesses are increasingly concerned to the point of panic, about the vanity of politicians damaging their prospects in the UK. Some think that applying pressure to allow us border controls might do the trick. Its gone way past that point now though. If they had done it 2 or 3 years ago, it might have worked.
Even some german politicians are starting to go off message.

http://www.westmonster.com/german-business-leaders-push-to-stop-brexit/
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/882335/Brexit-News-Germany-European-Union-MEP-EU-News-Michel-Barnier-Brexit-Divorce-Bill-UK
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/20/stop-brexit-happening-german-business-leaders-tell-eu/

I believe the problem the EU has is that it knows that in reality there is very little wriggle room between single market membership and operating under WTO rules, from the UK point of view. This makes it very difficult for them to give us a deal which is less favourable than the single market, while being worse than us just leaving and reverting to WTO rules.
The only way around that for them is to do some serious spinning, and get the UK opposition to join in with their illusion.
In that respect they have been successful and it looks like it has netted them £40 billion.
It may still be the case that they are so petrified of having to give us a deal which wont be able to stop us from doing ok, that they will actually force the no deal option, and hope the furore this causes in the UK will bring down the Govt. allow Corbyn into power, and then they can  "negotiate" with him.  :-\
Time will tell.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.