Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Science, Water dowsing/divining. does it work?  (Read 1893 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Science, Water dowsing/divining. does it work?
« on: 22 November 2017, 10:52:21 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-42070719

This caught attention, especially the bit where "Ms Le Page said: I can't state this enough: there is no scientifically rigorous, doubly blind evidence that divining rods work."

I have a reasonably open mind to most things but fall back on science to explain stuff. Before I came to Spain I was sceptical - How could it work?

However since being here, I have seen many wells (bore holes, not your open wishing well types) drilled. Without exception the company use someone endowed with diving abilities to find the best site. They aren't always successful (maybe 1 in 3) but if you are aiming to hit an aquifer say a metre wide at a depth of 100 metres with a ten inch drill , there isn't much leeway for error.

We had our own bore hole drilled 12 years ago. It was quite hilarious as people turned up with packed lunches from the nearby village to watch the proceedings. The year before we had a tradesman visit and he said why not have a well. He stripped two twigs off a tree and proceeded to divine. He said yes you have water here and then proceeded to stomp his foot 35 times and pronounced it is at 35 metres. We had a good laugh at that over our meal later.
 Back to our prospective well. As well as the "official diviner", a bloke called David turned up from a different village. Their official diviner. He was joined by around 5 local people who felt they also had the gift. They used anything from one twig, two twigs, two bent welding rods and one guy had a fob watch which he dangled on the chain.

After a fair bit of wandering around the concensus was this spot. This was a metre away from the previous spot divined by the tradesman the year before.

Drilling commenced and we hit water at 38 metres. There is no average around us for depth so it wasnt a lucky guess. Some are as deep as 180 metres ( cost 54 euros a metre including sleeving)

When all this had died down I had a go with the fellows discarded bent welding rods. It works , don't know how. You can even find buried 1.5 inch plastic water pipe at half a metre. When the subject comes up, I give visitors a scientific (as far as I can ) test by getting them to walk a route. Around 1 in 4 can divine. The other 3 without exception pour scorn on it.

Back to the article. If you know the route of a water pipe and you walk it as the engineer, it seems reasonable to me that IF you have the power you could find the waterlogged area underground versus dry pipe. I still cannot explain it as it doesn't make sense

Any diviners out there? All nonsense? 

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Science, Water dowsing/divining. does it work?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2017, 12:52:19 »

It does work, I have witnessed it - but I have not got a clue as to how or why!
Also, it doesn't depend on what rods or devices used; it isn't the rods bt the person, I believe.

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2017, 12:54:43 »

It's witchcraft I tell ye......and all who use it will burn for all eternity in the fires of hell. :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2017, 13:01:26 »

As far as I can see, all the scientific studies on the matter conclude that success rates among dowsers are no better than blind guesswork by anyone not claiming to be a dowser.

No different to psychics, mystics, faith healers and other assorted open wallet surgeons.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2017, 13:03:47 »

As far as I can see, all the scientific studies on the matter conclude that success rates among dowsers are no better than blind guesswork by anyone not claiming to be a dowser.

No different to psychics, mystics, faith healers and other assorted open wallet surgeons.

Yes.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2017, 13:13:41 »

It does work, I have witnessed it - but I have not got a clue as to how or why!
Also, it doesn't depend on what rods or devices used; it isn't the rods bt the person, I believe.

Ron.

As I always say, we know nothing yet, and yes it does seem to work from all the accounts I have read and from what I have seen.

It must be down to the natural forces surrounding water (and other natural elements) and the ability, like psychics, to "pick up the feed" from hidden forces, but apart from that it is a mystery. One day we will know a lot more about this subject. ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2017, 13:20:52 »

No different to psychics..

I read that as "physics" and thought "That's a bit harsh!" ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2017, 14:34:36 »

I tend to be very pragmatic, so if something works then use it. It has worked very well in my wife's old village when they were going to bore a new well including for the MIL. As our knowledge increases, I'm sure at some point we will understand how it works. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2017, 15:35:53 »

I have seen it done, dont know how it works.......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2017, 16:41:04 »

I'm sure it works, but I find it amusing that the water companies seem embarrassed that some of their engineers use this method.  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2017, 07:21:03 »

It's witchcraft I tell ye......and all who use it will burn for all eternity in the fires of hell. :)
Still preferable to living in Lundun :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2017, 07:23:57 »

It works .

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2017, 18:25:12 »

It does work as I have the gift, dont need the Rods either.

Bit of a pain the arse if Im honest, even a simple walk to the shops  means I end going around in circles every time I come to a Manhole Cover, also banging my Head on the Bathroom Door every time I walk past can be embarrassing as well.  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2017, 19:35:17 »

Bit of a pain the arse if Im honest, even a simple walk to the shops  means I end going around in circles every time I come to a Manhole Cover, also banging my Head on the Bathroom Door every time I walk past can be embarrassing as well.  ;D

Not to mention simple tasks like having a pint or a leak.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2017, 19:39:19 »

Not to mention simple tasks like having a pint or a leak.

Trying to put a couple of straws in a drink is a real challenge! ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.