Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So it's Black Friday  (Read 3943 times)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
Re: So it's Black Friday
« Reply #15 on: 24 November 2017, 13:57:25 »

I don`t there were any bargains, just shit they couldn`t sell through the year at normal prices.

Yep, believe me this is all a con.  There is nothing worthwhile being sold at any lower price than can, and will be found at all other times of the year.

In the retail trade you have to keep the footfall going and go for repeat business constantly, whilst creating the essential element: Profit.  No one day event is ever going to do that; it is just a case that if the competitor is supporting this American promotional tool, then your company must also.  It is smoke and mirrors to convince the public that it is a special, not to be missed, never to be repeated chance to get a bargain. All rubbish, as after the event even better offers will be found as all retailers, in a depressed market, desperate to keep their sales levels up, meet targets, and hopefully achieve profit expectations, will be tempting the public to come in and buy! ;)
I work in a furniture shop and i have been fed up with for the past 2 weeks people calling up asking what we are doing for Black Friday. When i tell them we don’t do it cause we don’t believe in it some get arsey with me. I tell them yes we could do a Black Friday but this would mean over inflating our price before hand to bring the prices down yet they still don’t get it the fools!!!!

I brought a necklace for the wife in warren james the jewellers the othe week and the woman serving me said look how much you save over the RRP price. Shocked her when i said no need to spout that clap trap at me i work in retail and RRP’s mean absolutely diddly squit. As i finished she gave me the bag amd proceeded to tell me how much i had saved on RRP i just gave her the look of disbelief as if to say have you not listened to a word i have said  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2017, 17:05:49 »

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=S2817Q&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=1JgXWqr7G6eGgAaH37iwDQ

http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/deals/desktops-monitors-deals

Dell 28 Ultra HD 4K Monitor: S2817Q

Market Value £556.80
Dell Price£259.99
Includes VAT & Delivery

Delivery Information
Ships in 1-2 weeks
Ships in 24-48 Hours
Ships in 1-2 weeks
Ships in 3-4 Days
Order Code s2218m
Order Code s2318hn
Order Code se2717h
Order Code s2817q

Not sure if it's an error, says £400 at checkout. :-\
Sounds like a £250 monitor being sold for £250 to me...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 November 2017, 17:09:26 »

The British public, as has been frequently said, is very, very stupid.  Which is why, according to retail analysts, Black Friday works so very well here (and boxing day sales).

I have a friend responsible for a large, well known ex catalogue shop's website, and the black Friday week and follow on cyber Monday week is more important to that retailer than xmas. All thanks to the gullibility of the society we've bred.  Great job, gang ;)
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 November 2017, 17:35:11 »

I don`t there were any bargains, just shit they couldn`t sell through the year at normal prices.

Yep, believe me this is all a con.  There is nothing worthwhile being sold at any lower price than can, and will be found at all other times of the year.

In the retail trade you have to keep the footfall going and go for repeat business constantly, whilst creating the essential element: Profit.  No one day event is ever going to do that; it is just a case that if the competitor is supporting this American promotional tool, then your company must also.  It is smoke and mirrors to convince the public that it is a special, not to be missed, never to be repeated chance to get a bargain. All rubbish, as after the event even better offers will be found as all retailers, in a depressed market, desperate to keep their sales levels up, meet targets, and hopefully achieve profit expectations, will be tempting the public to come in and buy! ;)
I work in a furniture shop and i have been fed up with for the past 2 weeks people calling up asking what we are doing for Black Friday. When i tell them we don’t do it cause we don’t believe in it some get arsey with me. I tell them yes we could do a Black Friday but this would mean over inflating our price before hand to bring the prices down yet they still don’t get it the fools!!!!

I brought a necklace for the wife in warren james the jewellers the othe week and the woman serving me said look how much you save over the RRP price. Shocked her when i said no need to spout that clap trap at me i work in retail and RRP’s mean absolutely diddly squit. As i finished she gave me the bag amd proceeded to tell me how much i had saved on RRP i just gave her the look of disbelief as if to say have you not listened to a word i have said  ;D

Absolutely right as you and I both know that any progressive (that is want to stay in business retail concern) MUST sell the vast majority of their range at COMPETITIVE prices; which means NOT RRP!  That nowadays is just a marker in the sand to state what the price could be if no competition existed.  I remember the days when Retail Price Maintenance kept the RRP as a law, and you could not mount "price promotions" below what the manufacturer demaded.  It would be illegal now, and very foolish, for any retailer to let themselves be told what the minimum price of a product should be by the manufacturer. The market forces now fully rule. 8) ;)

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 24 November 2017, 17:37:11 »

Even gayphones?  ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 November 2017, 17:43:16 »

Not the case really, if in Jimbob's case there is something you need and monitor the price you can tell if its low.

Often is impulse buy where you don't know, is where people are caught out. But if you look/research items in the months leading up you know if it's a good price or not.

Jimbob MAY have found one of just 8% of retail products that is genuinely lower today, Black Friday, than it will be tomorrow, next week or in "the sales" before Christmas.  Unless you have a feed into the sales and marketing departments of the major retail chains, and know exactly what their pricing policy will be on all their lines, that is a closely guarded secret, and you as a consumer will have no idea what the price may be outside of BF, no matter how much research you do.  Buying today is a gamble; in most cases you as a consumer will lose and the product WILL end up cheaper than today, or a better quality product will be on offer at a far more competitive price than the "BF so called giveaway". 

As said, it is all a con, a gimmick, to make you spend more in the long term. ;)
« Last Edit: 24 November 2017, 17:45:34 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 24 November 2017, 17:46:00 »

If we look at this from a holistic point of view, if you think you got a bargain, you got a bargain. No need to upset anyone.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 November 2017, 17:48:17 »

All I know is what I wanted was £60 cheaper today than its been since June (when I started choosing and pricing up).  Whether it will go cheaper still or not remains to be seen, or even stays at this low.  But today I is happy, and I beleive Ive payed a good price for a good product.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 November 2017, 17:49:57 »

All I know is what I wanted was £60 cheaper today than its been since June.  Whether it will go cheaper still or not remains to be seen, or even stays at this low.  But today I is happy, and I beleive Ive payed a good price for a good product.

And good on you Jimbob!

The customer being a happy bunny is what retailing is all about.............and trying to make sure you return for more! ;D ;D 8) 8) :y

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 24 November 2017, 17:53:07 »

All I know is what I wanted was £60 cheaper today than its been since June.  Whether it will go cheaper still or not remains to be seen, or even stays at this low.  But today I is happy, and I beleive Ive payed a good price for a good product.

And good on you Jimbob!

The customer being a happy bunny is what retailing is all about.............and trying to make sure you return for more! ;D ;D 8) 8) :y
That’s what I said.

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 24 November 2017, 17:55:55 »

in most cases you as a consumer will lose and the product WILL end up cheaper than today, or a better quality product will be on offer at a far more competitive price than the "BF so called giveaway".

In electronics, on a long enough timescale, that's an absolute given.

But if you worked on that basis, you'd never buy anything, and wondering why your Baird Televisor from 1936 won't pick up TV anymore... but best not buy a new one because the new TV you're eyeing up will be replaced by an even better one in time, so best wait for that..

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 November 2017, 18:00:13 »

in most cases you as a consumer will lose and the product WILL end up cheaper than today, or a better quality product will be on offer at a far more competitive price than the "BF so called giveaway".

But if you worked on that basis, you'd never buy anything, and wondering why your Baird Televisor from 1936 won't pick up TV anymore... but best not buy a new one because the new TV you're eyeing up will be replaced by an even better one in time, so best wait for that..

And that is the trick of the retail trade.  You make sure that the customer feels that they cannot do without the new, up to date model, and must buyit at that fabulous offer price.  Yes, that is the given in the electronics and the motor trades at least (I wonder if those two trades will become one in years to come?). ;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 24 November 2017, 18:03:00 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 24 November 2017, 18:01:39 »

This is what happens when countries suffer from deflation. Japan was one very memorable case, prices just kept dropping for years and no one would buy anything, so prices fell again.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 November 2017, 18:03:26 »

All thanks to the gullibility of the society we've bred.  Great job, gang ;)

I'll exempt myself from that statement having never bred anything I've known about.  :-\  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 November 2017, 18:13:05 »

As it was black Friday I cleaned my black car 8)
I like red cars
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.