Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlights . .  (Read 7994 times)

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
Re: Headlights . .
« Reply #30 on: 30 November 2017, 17:57:34 »

I had a similar issue with my drivers side headlight and used auto glym metal polish, it’s basically a cutting polish and the head lamp is at least smooth, I would think the brightness would be restored by removing the dull layer?
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 November 2017, 18:14:33 »

I had a similar issue with my drivers side headlight and used auto glym metal polish, it’s basically a cutting polish and the head lamp is at least smooth, I would think the brightness would be restored by removing the dull layer?

That's what the wet&dry paper does. Then you restore the finish with whatever abrasive paste you favour, whether that's some specific 'headlight kit', generic plastic polish(probably the same stuff but considerably more economical) or paint refinishing products. The key to any sort of polishing is to use just enough abrasive to start with; otherwise after a lot of work you end up with a poor, but shiny surface.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 January 2018, 11:31:07 »

I got a kit in Halfords, just some stuff in a bottle and a drill attachment thingy. Didn't really make much diference to anything. I didn't use the sandpaper inluded with the kit.

After looking on a Volvo forum, seems dim lights are quite common, and new bulbs recommended. Went to local garage down the road, explained everything. He came back to me told me that new bulbs would be about £100 EACH, but then said that they were cheaper from Amazon or whatever on internet and if I bought them he would fit them. He's a good guy  :y Now ordered £47 each. See if they sort things  :-\
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 January 2018, 12:41:50 »

I got a kit in Halfords, just some stuff in a bottle and a drill attachment thingy. Didn't really make much diference to anything. I didn't use the sandpaper inluded with the kit.
The sandpaper is in the kit for a reason!!  Thats why it made no difference.

As for Amazon bulbs, make sure they are sold and fulfilled by Amazon, or you'll likely end up with £15 chinese HIDs.
Grumpy old man

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04 January 2018, 18:22:20 »

As for Amazon bulbs, make sure they are sold and fulfilled by Amazon, or you'll likely end up with £15 chinese HIDs.

I know, but after looking into it all a bit more I wasn't convinced that crapped up lenses were the reason, so I decided to dig deep and try new bulbs. Yes, actually supplied by Amazon, and so far it all seems kosher Osram branded same as those fitted. Delivery tomorrow.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 January 2018, 18:44:09 »

I was surprised at how much brighter the £15(for a pair, delivered) xenons are, than the 18 Y/O originals. No, I don't expect them to last as long, but then the rest of the car won't either.

It doesn't matter how good the bulbs are if the lens is cloudy/dull.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04 January 2018, 18:54:31 »

I was surprised at how much brighter the £15(for a pair, delivered) xenons are, than the 18 Y/O originals. No, I don't expect them to last as long, but then the rest of the car won't either.

Understood. Cash paid, bulbs ordered, try them and see, if all still crap get then I'll get the sandpaper out  :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04 January 2018, 18:59:57 »

Can you link me to those £15-a-pair specials please Nick?
Mine are the originals, as far as I know, or at least ten years in my ownership.....

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04 January 2018, 19:23:59 »

I used one of these on mine, did one on each of the Dipped Beam area and one each on the Full Beam, only took about 3 mins to do, excellent bit of kit, worked a treat.        ....for a while.

STEMO

« Reply #39 on: 04 January 2018, 19:28:13 »

I used one of these on mine, did one on each of the Dipped Beam area and one each on the Full Beam, only took about 3 mins to do, excellent bit of kit, worked a treat.        ....for a while.

That’d do the trick  :y :y :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 04 January 2018, 23:02:36 »

Can you link me to those £15-a-pair specials please Nick?
Mine are the originals, as far as I know, or at least ten years in my ownership.....

Ron.

No, because they weren't £15.

They were £12.50 :y 

LINK 

I went for those because they claimed UK stock, and I wanted them quickly. Which is what happened they arrived in 3 working days.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05 January 2018, 12:12:01 »

Understood. Cash paid, bulbs ordered, try them and see, if all still crap get then I'll get the sandpaper out  :-\

As mentioned, you need to use the sand paper! That's what strips the dull elements off, mentioned before 3M kit is brilliant. Not the cheapest, but easily most convenient. Again, that's just drill attachment, sand paper and some gunk.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 January 2018, 14:00:26 »

I was surprised at how much brighter the £15(for a pair, delivered) xenons are, than the 18 Y/O originals.
Yup, even decent HIDs degrade over time, from the very first time they are used.  The decent ones degrade less.  On an Omega, they are piss easy to change, assuming you have already fixed your adjusters, so the only inconvenience is when the cheap chinkys refuse to strike.

Yer pays yer cash, and takes yer choice.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 January 2018, 16:25:35 »

Mine are about as much use as a candle currently, so hoping they are OK at MOT (or that the new adjusters arrive so I have the confidence to fiddle). Oh, and I'd probably better polish up the lenses, again. Seems to become an annual thing once you've done it once. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 January 2018, 16:44:58 »

Mine are about as much use as a candle currently, so hoping they are OK at MOT (or that the new adjusters arrive so I have the confidence to fiddle). Oh, and I'd probably better polish up the lenses, again. Seems to become an annual thing once you've done it once. >:(
If you've never changed the bulbs, you'll notice a big difference when you do, particularly on those dark lanes with oncoming traffic when you suddenly realise that you can't even see if your lights are on.

The Shaguar needs new bulbs, but having a CBA moment to:
a) get to hellfrauds to buy some
b) look at how to take the bumper off to..
c) fit them
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.