Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: steering rack or front wheel bearing problem?  (Read 4335 times)

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
steering rack or front wheel bearing problem?
« on: 28 November 2017, 19:18:33 »

Getting a nasty wobble/rumble when I take a left hand corner. Jacked the driver front and there is movement 3-9 o'clock. This isn't happening on the passenger side. Am I right in thinking that as left and right steering components are connected that this rules out steering rack problems?
On this basis I was looking at the guide for replacing the wheel bearing. However, the guide appears to be missing the part about how to actually remove the bearing. It goes from removing the caliper straight to putting the new part on.
Additionally, when I search for replacement front wheel bearing for the car I get results showing just the bearing and others showing the hub assembly. Is this because if you have the tools to remove the bearing the hub is reusable?  ???

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: steering rack or front wheel bearing problem?
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2017, 19:21:39 »

Omega front wheel bearings aren't a serviceable part. You buy a new hub, unbolt the old one and replace it with the your new one.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2017, 19:24:46 »

And FYI, the Omega doesn't have a rack.

Ideally, jack up the suspected corner, you can normally feel play in a knackered wheel bearing, or can feel its roughness if you slowly rotate it.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2017, 19:45:04 »

Piece of piss to change. Only issue you "may" run in to is if the inner race has become one with the stub axle. I'm sure someone (Entwood maybe?) had this happen and you'll need a small cut off wheel to remove it.

Hopefully that doesn't happen though and it'll slide off and new one will slide on 👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2017, 19:55:17 »

Thanks folks.

So once I have the big undone the assembly should just pull off?

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2017, 19:56:33 »

What torque should the big nut be done up to on reassembly?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2017, 20:26:47 »

That do :y

And 390lb/ftto tighten  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2017, 19:56:30 »

Am taking a punt that the problem is the bearing. Wishbones where done about 6K ago and no movement is apparent at the ball joint. Although I can swivel the steering balljoints around by hand there is no apparent play or knocking coming from them. The bearing doesn't feel too bad on rotation, no grittyness, but there is definately a bit of noise when I spin it around. As Webby the Bear suggested, the bearing has come off easily once I got a breaker bar and a long piece of pipe on the end. New bearing has cost me £26.30 delivered and I await its' arrival.
The brake dust cover behind it has crumbled to dust itself. Anyone know where I could get a replacement? :-\

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2017, 20:18:03 »

I'd see if there's one in a scrappy or eBay or a wanted ad 👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2017, 20:22:10 »

Am taking a punt that the problem is the bearing. Wishbones where done about 6K ago and no movement is apparent at the ball joint. Although I can swivel the steering balljoints around by hand there is no apparent play or knocking coming from them. The bearing doesn't feel too bad on rotation, no grittyness, but there is definately a bit of noise when I spin it around. As Webby the Bear suggested, the bearing has come off easily once I got a breaker bar and a long piece of pipe on the end. New bearing has cost me £26.30 delivered and I await its' arrival.
The brake dust cover behind it has crumbled to dust itself. Anyone know where I could get a replacement? :-\

Just an idea ... it's what I do so I pass it on ... I don't have a torque wrench big enough to go to do 320 NM, so I follow the instructions in the guide

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90544.0

but at post #5 I fully fit the wheel and do all the wheel bolts up correctly, I then tighten the hub bolt as far as I can with my torque wrench ... 270 NM. I then drive the car to my local garage and for £2 in the charity box they use their bloody big torque wrench and tighten it properly. I then drive home, remove the wheel and fit the hub cover, then refit the wheel.

It's a bit of a faff but easier/cheaper than buying a torque wrench that goes to 320 NM !!

:)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2017, 20:56:48 »

Why bother? Cut the crusty bits off with some snips and do something important.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2017, 21:40:22 »

Just an idea ... it's what I do so I pass it on ... I don't have a torque wrench big enough to go to do 320 NM, so I follow the instructions in the guide

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90544.0

but at post #5 I fully fit the wheel and do all the wheel bolts up correctly, I then tighten the hub bolt as far as I can with my torque wrench ... 270 NM. I then drive the car to my local garage and for £2 in the charity box they use their bloody big torque wrench and tighten it properly. I then drive home, remove the wheel and fit the hub cover, then refit the wheel.

It's a bit of a faff but easier/cheaper than buying a torque wrench that goes to 320 NM !!

:)

Well 320NM is about 32kg at 1 metre or 16kg at 2metres. With the breaker bar and metal pole I can get 2m away. So I just need to put 16kg of weight at the end. I reckon so long as I have at least 320NM it'll be okay.  8)

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2017, 21:43:07 »

Why bother? Cut the crusty bits off with some snips and do something important.

Okay :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 December 2017, 09:22:05 »

Before randomly changing the Wheel Bearing (which would likely be noisy as well as having play) get a young assistant to put their foot on the brake when you rock the wheel... If the play remains then it’s not the bearing but one of the numerous ball joints in the steering assembly, which is far more likely.   ;)

Edit: Just read that it is a bit rough/noisy so my be the case it needs doing anyway but I’d still be doing the test with the brake applied. All that said, it could easily be more than one component causing the issue.  ::)
« Last Edit: 01 December 2017, 09:24:13 by Lazydocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.