Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Theres Snow  (Read 9319 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Theres Snow
« Reply #30 on: 10 December 2017, 20:00:13 »

no idea what the Yeti is.

Either fwd or 4wd, either way no excuse. Ours (1.2 fwd dsg) is very capable in both the sh!tty slush and the few inches of actual snow we’ve had. The short wheelbase does mean it’ll turn on a dime with the handbrake applied though. SWMBO was not at all impressed  :P
Most cars are capable enough, though we all know the quality of driving is at an all time low.

I think in this case, its the fact so many cars have no ground clearance, and the way the snow has be blown around up here, its lifting up the front of the car enough to reduce traction.  Certainly, whilst very slippery, its not bad enough to expect 3 abandoned cars in such a short space.
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 December 2017, 20:11:26 »

I think in this case, its the fact so many cars have no ground clearance, and the way the snow has be blown around up here, its lifting up the front of the car enough to reduce traction.....

The 4 series has a built in snow plough so after travelling about 6 feet I've collected enough snow on the splitter to build a snowman.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 December 2017, 20:35:41 »

I don't much feel like going out again, but I'm back to work tonight at 6.30.  ::)
Its nice and warm indoors and fickin freezing out. I'm getting too old to get cold. Snot fair.  ;D
Life's not fair. Get over it and get your arse back to work :-*

I did and I'm here at work now.  :P ;D
The journey was slightly stressful as I was behind a line of 7 cars, the front one of which was driving at a steady 14 mph on the straights and braking down to single figure speeds on anything that wasn't dead straight.
IF YOU CANT DRIVE IN THE SNOW STAY AT FICKIN HOME FFS.  >:( >:(
When I arrived at work I had to have some childish sideways and donut action to calm my self down.  ;D ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 December 2017, 21:01:16 »

Insignia is 4x4 but not ventured out today and day off tomorrow otherwise would gave been an early shift , I am guessing that would have been an interesting drive otherwise

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 December 2017, 22:12:52 »

Insignia is 4x4 but not ventured out today and day off tomorrow otherwise would gave been an early shift , I am guessing that would have been an interesting drive otherwise
You must have the only Insignia 4x4 where the 4x4 actually works lol

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 December 2017, 22:22:34 »

no idea what the Yeti is.

Either fwd or 4wd, either way no excuse. Ours (1.2 fwd dsg) is very capable in both the sh!tty slush and the few inches of actual snow we’ve had. The short wheelbase does mean it’ll turn on a dime with the handbrake applied though. SWMBO was not at all impressed  :P
Most cars are capable enough, though we all know the quality of driving is at an all time low.

I think in this case, its the fact so many cars have no ground clearance, and the way the snow has be blown around up here, its lifting up the front of the car enough to reduce traction.  Certainly, whilst very slippery, its not bad enough to expect 3 abandoned cars in such a short space.

Sadly many drivers today have had little or no experience of snow/ice driving. While I used to curse it every year when I started driving, at least I had refresher training every winter. :-*

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 December 2017, 22:27:18 »

No white stuff where I am, just a light flurry. But there's a lot not so far away

But what puzzles me is why poeple leave piles of snow on their bonnets and windscreen when they go to the supermarket. Is it some kind of "look how much snow I've got contest" ?

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 December 2017, 22:32:43 »

No white stuff here and there never is thank god although i do miss the omega in the snow

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 December 2017, 22:33:09 »

SWMBO saw a car going past the house this morning, every window covered except from a small square just in front of the driver. Lazy bugger. :o

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 December 2017, 22:49:36 »

Not hard to clear the "igloo", is it? Soft yard broom all over the vehicle, then sweep the snowfall clear of the driveway so you don't get sued if someone goes arse over tit in it - job done.  :y

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 December 2017, 23:25:17 »

I use a big squeegee on a broom handle, works quite well :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 December 2017, 00:19:28 »

Yep, sounds good - except for clearing the path/driveway afterwards.
It may sound unnecessary and/or a trivial point, but people HAVE been sued, successfully, after part-clearing the path to the house and a visitor slipped and sprained/broke something.
The legal advice, apparently, is to clear the snow and ice completely, or leave it alone altogether.
Why so? Because YOU did not make the initial snow hazard, but in only part-clearing it, YOU make the hazard!

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 11 December 2017, 06:55:50 »

-4°C here this morning. The ice on the wife’s windscreen was that solid, clear stuff. I was watching her from the bedroom window, she had a hell of a job clearing it  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 December 2017, 07:10:40 »

Yep, sounds good - except for clearing the path/driveway afterwards.
It may sound unnecessary and/or a trivial point, but people HAVE been sued, successfully, after part-clearing the path to the house and a visitor slipped and sprained/broke something.
The legal advice, apparently, is to clear the snow and ice completely, or leave it alone altogether.
Why so? Because YOU did not make the initial snow hazard, but in only part-clearing it, YOU make the hazard!

Ron.

Heard plenty of rumours of people being sued for clearing snow AT HOME but never actually found any proof (in the UK) ???
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

aaronjb

« Reply #44 on: 11 December 2017, 08:51:51 »

Plenty here - a good 4-5" of soft white snow that turned walking the dog into a serious workout ;D After we'd made it down the untreated country lanes to pick him up from the kennels, that is.

Only one dicey moment when we got to a large uphill section and I hadn't been able to carry much momentum (due to the corner immediately before) - still, made it up, unlike the youth in the Saab 95 Aero we passed on our way back down the hill! (If I still had the truck I'd have stopped and dragged him up it, but seeing as I only just made it up in the Skoda..)

Forecast for a hard freeze tonight down to -5ºC, so our slushy road (untreated) should turn into a giant skating rink, yay! Main roads will be fine, though, I should think, as all the bus routes have been treated.

I'm sure the motorways will still turn into a carpark..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.