Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My toy is getting expensive  (Read 4103 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: My toy is getting expensive
« Reply #15 on: 16 December 2017, 16:54:59 »

I found around a year/12k miles was about the life of rears when the Omega was my daily, with fronts being twice as long,

I always find tyre wear amusing. When I had my Mondeo 2.5T (220 bhp via the front wheels), I could get 26k from a set, via rotating for even wear - so this is comparable to TBs experience. However, when I had my C5 2.0 Hdi (140 hp via front wheels), all four wore evenly and rotation wasn’t necessary - why would that be? Both sets of tyres concerned were Michelins.

That was the German engineering's allergy to French tyres ;D

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2017, 06:34:00 »

Had there been a wrong diagnosis and had I not taken the advice on here then presumably the car would not have been mechanically sound over the summer?  and as for constructive comments about the AC failing, it’s fair to say that as with any mechanical equipment it will only run for so long without faults occurring!
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

2boxerdogs

« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2017, 07:04:38 »

Always got around 24,000 miles out of my Michelins when I had my 2.6 mind they were £150 each , with tyres you get what you pay for, as you intend keeping the car budget your expenditure on it each year to avoid it becoming a money pit . What are you buying as your daily driver ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2017, 07:22:21 »

New cars cost up front, older cars cost as they wear... You pay one way or tother...

And newer doesn't necessarily mean better ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2017, 09:42:06 »

Always got around 24,000 miles out of my Michelins when I had my 2.6 mind they were £150 each , with tyres you get what you pay for, as you intend keeping the car budget your expenditure on it each year to avoid it becoming a money pit . What are you buying as your daily driver ?
The last 10k mile set we're Michelin ;).  The decent Michelin wear at the same rate as any other decent tyre.
Grumpy old man

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2017, 10:02:49 »

Both of my estates used to eat tyres.

Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 December 2017, 10:11:04 »

Both of my estates used to eat tyres.

I'd be disappointed with less than 20k from a set on mine.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #22 on: 17 December 2017, 10:29:24 »

The last 10k mile set we're Michelin ;).  The decent Michelin wear at the same rate as any other decent tyre.

A lot depends on your driving style , all 4 of mine had 3mm tread left when I changed them so could have probably got a couple of thousand more , but  I never leave anything to chance.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 December 2017, 11:18:56 »

A lot depends on your driving style , all 4 of mine had 3mm tread left when I changed them so could have probably got a couple of thousand more , but  I never leave anything to chance.
A lot of tyres suffer from poor grip as they wear, even in dry, so you are wise to do so. I consider the end of life of a tyre to be around 3mm, which is why I always say that part worns (usually around 5mm, as a lot come over from Germany) are false economy, as you pay half the new price of a tyre, plus fitting, for a tyres with well under a third of its life remaining.
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #24 on: 17 December 2017, 11:38:24 »

A lot of tyres suffer from poor grip as they wear, even in dry, so you are wise to do so. I consider the end of life of a tyre to be around 3mm, which is why I always say that part worns (usually around 5mm, as a lot come over from Germany) are false economy, as you pay half the new price of a tyre, plus fitting, for a tyres with well under a third of its life remaining.

Read some real horror stories about part worn eg age/accident damage wouldn't touch  them personally & as you say totally false economy.

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2017, 17:58:00 »

Pleaesed to report I got her back and after parting with my hard earned she’s running a lot more quietly than before, partly due to new boots and partly a new exhaust!
The bad news is that the sump pan and sump gaskets need to be replaced as does the rear main oil seal and it’s looking like an engine out job!
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2017, 18:00:09 »

Pleaesed to report I got her back and after parting with my hard earned she’s running a lot more quietly than before, partly due to new boots and partly a new exhaust!
The bad news is that the sump pan and sump gaskets need to be replaced as does the rear main oil seal and it’s looking like an engine out job!
Gearbox out is probably easier?
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.