Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Reminder for Win10 Free Update.  (Read 3771 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Final Reminder for Win10 Free Update.
« on: 17 December 2017, 21:30:13 »

Final Reminder for those wishing to Update to Windows 10 for Free from Win7 and 8.1 using the assistive technologies method, the offer finally ends in 14 Days time(31 Dec 2017)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Final Reminder for Win10 Free Update.
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2017, 18:20:47 »

Good spot, I'd missed that :y
Grumpy old man

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2017, 21:46:25 »

I've not upgraded partly caution and partly laziness, and a lot of both. Still on Win 7 on desktop and one laptop, and 8.1 on another laptop.

Are there any big downsides to doing this ? I mean do i need to have a leg amputated or something ?

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2017, 15:22:44 »

I've not upgraded partly caution and partly laziness, and a lot of both. Still on Win 7 on desktop and one laptop, and 8.1 on another laptop.

Are there any big downsides to doing this ? I mean do i need to have a leg amputated or something ?
You dont need to do anything or be disabled etc, just Install it, its been ongoing work around for most people since the official Free Upgrade close.

Download is around 3gb or there about, remember with Win10 once the machine gets activated thats it is always activated for win10 and any updates.

If its was me, due to the times scales now, and I really wanted to keep 7 and 8.2, I would just slap another HD in there, download a Fresh 10 Install get it activated, then revert back to my Drives with 7/8.1 until Im ready to move over, personally win10 works for most its pretty good in my book.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2017, 15:39:30 »

Can you download to a stand alone hard drive connected to your PC Chris?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2017, 16:23:10 »

Can you download to a stand alone hard drive connected to your PC Chris?
Kind off, but it can be a real arse and theres no guarantee it will work properly when win10 does an update.

Secong best option you can do really is to go down the Dual Boot option, ie choose wither on Boot up to use Win7 or Win10, so it installs win10 on another Partition of your hard Drive, its also messy but plenty of How To's on the Web, again a problem some have had doing this is it can mess the original win7 package (or what ever your using) after the 30 Day roll back period as your technically doing an upgrade to 10 rather than a New Win10 Licence install.

Easiest way really Rob, is to Clone your win7/8.1 onto a second Hard drive, then swap out, do a Fresh Win10 Upgrade Install on the Second Hard Drive in the Machine, let it activate itself, then remove the second Hard Drive and slap your original one back in.

You then dont even have to keep the Second Hard Drive (the Win10 one), you can format it use for something else, as any future Win10 Installs or Upgrades on that machine that you do, Windows will recognize the Machine as being Activated and will Auto License itself in the future.  ;)

Either way what ever you decide, or anyone else, I ALWAYS recommend to do a least a complete Back Up or Clone your Original Hard Drive to another Drive and Use the Cloned Drive for messing around, that way youve always got your Original Drive Un Touched when or if it all goes tits up.  ;)
« Last Edit: 20 December 2017, 16:34:18 by zirk »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2017, 17:05:32 »

I would clone a drive, upgrade that to win10 to get the machine licence, play with it, if you like it REBUILD FROM SCRATCH!!!

If you don't like it, go back to your Win7 image (I think most Win8 users will find W10 more usable)
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2017, 18:59:11 »

Gah, worst thing i ever did,w10 is rather awful in my opinion,am now actively looking for a 2nd laptop with win 7,me own fault really, tried persevering with ten so long i could not go back to 7,as windows wipes it asfter a month or so? anyway had it now around a year and still hate it with a passion!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2017, 19:12:27 »

Most W10 builds which I have had which were upgrades from W7 have eventually failed in some way.  Those built from scratch work for longer.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2017, 19:23:55 »

Thanks for the reminder. :y I think will stay on Win 7 on this laptop, which I plan to replace in 2018 and go to Win 10.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2017, 11:29:28 »

Most W10 builds which I have had which were upgrades from W7 have eventually failed in some way.  Those built from scratch work for longer.
That about sums up most OS (and every desktop OS), and major update is never as clean as a fresh install, and carries over a lot of legacy from the old OS.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2017, 11:41:31 »

Gah, worst thing i ever did,w10 is rather awful in my opinion,am now actively looking for a 2nd laptop with win 7,me own fault really, tried persevering with ten so long i could not go back to 7,as windows wipes it asfter a month or so? anyway had it now around a year and still hate it with a passion!
In what way are you hating it?  Just because its not Win7, and bits are in different places, or stability type issues?

Be aware that, sadly, Win7 goes out of support in 2yrs, so don't get too attached to it!

My own personal views are the "best" desktop Windows OS ever was 8.1, let down by an awful user interface (which is the bit users obviously interact with, making most thing Win8.1 is crap - but the underlying OS is very good, and supremely stable).  The best user interface was Win7, followed by Vista, with Win10 third.

From a stability angle, Win10 comes near bottom of all the NT based Windows, probably only surpassed on instability by early versions of NT4 Workstation, though in NT4's case, it was 3rd party video drivers (any of them!) that were the cause. Earlier builds of W10 weren't great for stability, particularly on older hardware.  The Anniversary Edition 1607 is a particularly poor build - everyone should really be running Creators Edition 1703 or Creators Fall 1709, both these seem to be an awful lot better than 1607.

For those who grumble they can never find anything, the preferred/default method introduced in Vista is search. Thats unlikely to go away. Want to adjust power saving settings, idea is hit the Windows key and type power and all the power options are displayed. Although the whole control panel thing is a lot cleaner in W10 than, say, W7. Just a shame that the search indexer keeps screwing up on W10, grrr.
Grumpy old man

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2017, 12:18:09 »

Final Reminder for those wishing to Update to Windows 10 for Free from Win7 and 8.1 using the assistive technologies method, the offer finally ends in 14 Days time(31 Dec 2017)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

After reading all the comments, I may just do it. I have an old laptop, which although a few years old has not been used much, but if/when my desktop dies it will be needed. It's Win 7 and won't update due to an MS update cockup up a while back. I hardly use it, so no great loss if it all goes tits up.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2017, 19:01:59 »

On 1709 here and I can confirm it's pretty good.  I like W10 on the whole.  I am a little frustrated that it is trying to be too many things at once and the update reminders are annoying at best.  There are rumours that it is going to get its own SSH client soon which will be nice.  Security hardening is a little tricky when integrating with legacy systems (but isn't that always the case?).  A friend of mine is having a right mare with his current client and their upcoming launch of W10.  He had about 300 separate issues to deal with and the client was pushing him to 'risk-accept' most of them. :-X

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2017, 23:34:30 »

Anybody tried upgrading on a dual boot machine?

Not expecting Microsoft crap to respect the fact that it's dual boot, but just wondering how much of a Horlicks I'll have to sort out?

Then again, I only boot this into Win 7 to Tech 2 stuff, so it might be filed under "CBA". ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.