Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Reminder for Win10 Free Update.  (Read 3776 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Final Reminder for Win10 Free Update.
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2017, 09:29:09 »

Anybody tried upgrading on a dual boot machine?

Not expecting Microsoft crap to respect the fact that it's dual boot, but just wondering how much of a Horlicks I'll have to sort out?

Then again, I only boot this into Win 7 to Tech 2 stuff, so it might be filed under "CBA". ::)
Win10 will recognise and support Dual Boot, but, it can be a bit hit and miss if your using another WinOS as part of the Dual Boot and are upgrading from that Licence, especially after the 30 day Roll Back period.

It also depends what version of Win10 your slapping on, if you have a choice, the older the better, In theory when youve upgraded to 10 from 7 or 8.1 your previous Licence Expires 1 day after the 30 Days Roll it back option, but it doesnt its still valid, kind of, ie, if youve cloned the original drive and slap that back in its fine, with Dual Boot you need to work backwards to get it to work correctly, ie Upgrade to 10 and get the Licence Activated, then on the Dual Boot start again, Fresh Clean Install of 10,  then install 7 or 8.1 as the second boot option from your OEM or a Bootable Media that you made earlier, that should work although no guarantee it will after a win10 future upgrade as it may see a Licence issue.

Other way is to do the above, ie get 10 Activated and then use a different Licence for the 7 or 8.1 install.

As for Dual Boot win10 and say Linux, no idea, but should be fine though as no Licence issue.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2017, 10:21:57 »

OK. Will try it if I get bored over the festive season. The other OS is indeed Linux.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 December 2017, 10:42:54 »

When you upgrade and install win10 over air for the firs timet, after Installation keep a copy of the ESD File it creates, then use that for the clean install on Dual Boot if your going down that route, makes it a lot easier, cant remember if the ESB needs to be bootable or not for DB but if needed you can convert the ESD file to a Bootable ISO / USB (ask Google).  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 December 2017, 13:16:11 »

Did a dual boot win7/centos machine back in early days of Win10 (might have even been previews), expecting it to wipe out the Linux, but it didn't.  Not tried later Win10 versions.

However, either my knackered laptop has killed TIS, or Win 10 1709 doesn't work with TIS.  Laptop has been rebuilt this morning, just copying TIS back to it (over Wifi ::)), so will probably know which in an hour or 2...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 December 2017, 13:52:04 »

However, either my knackered laptop has killed TIS, or Win 10 1709 doesn't work with TIS.  Laptop has been rebuilt this morning, just copying TIS back to it (over Wifi ::)), so will probably know which in an hour or 2...
Right, it looks like TIS2000 doesn't work with 1709 then  :'(
Grumpy old man

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2017, 22:41:41 »

Final Reminder for those wishing to Update to Windows 10 for Free from Win7 and 8.1 using the assistive technologies method, the offer finally ends in 14 Days time(31 Dec 2017)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

After reading all the comments, I may just do it. I have an old laptop, which although a few years old has not been used much, but if/when my desktop dies it will be needed. It's Win 7 and won't update due to an MS update cockup up a while back. I hardly use it, so no great loss if it all goes tits up.

Well, did a system restore backup, plus a boot cd. My connection is crap, so I fully expect this to take days, but I've started.

After about 4 hours, screen says 30% complete. Let's just see what happens.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 December 2017, 22:41:00 »

Final Reminder for those wishing to Update to Windows 10 for Free from Win7 and 8.1 using the assistive technologies method, the offer finally ends in 14 Days time(31 Dec 2017)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

After reading all the comments, I may just do it. I have an old laptop, which although a few years old has not been used much, but if/when my desktop dies it will be needed. It's Win 7 and won't update due to an MS update cockup up a while back. I hardly use it, so no great loss if it all goes tits up.

Well, did a system restore backup, plus a boot cd. My connection is crap, so I fully expect this to take days, but I've started.

After about 4 hours, screen says 30% complete. Let's just see what happens.

The whole thing took just over 24 hours, mostly due to a really slow connection, laptop left on overnight. There was one hiccup, something about a missing dll file. A quick search found an easy solution that worked.

So, all done. I now need to use it and decide whether to keep it, although it would seem kinda silly not to after it taking so long and I'll need to start using Win 10 at some stage. First impression is that it looks like Win 8 but maybe better, but time will tell. I'm still waiting for the bit that asks if I've had a leg amputated.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 December 2017, 22:47:04 »

Well I built my self a PC from bits I bougt off a mate, treated my self to a new case and found the graphics card didnt fit.  Sorted all that. :y

Decided to try windows 10, happy with most of it, then my 8 port hub died, for one reason or another have been offline for a few days.

Finally back online, had to run a new lan cable from router to PC as the new hub I bought a few months ago apparently is a managed one and I cant be botherered with it. :-X

So fineally back on OOF and the net speeds are ittermitant, seems my phone line out side my have been yanked off the wall by kids playing about, damage to one of the cars as well. so my speed problems might be extarnal cable problems ??? ???

So giving W10 a go, so far not tempted back to W7, few things not happy with, but as TB allways said about W7, got to give it a fair chance first.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 December 2017, 23:31:55 »

The whole idea of this thread was last chance to free upgrade win10, using the link I posted, in other words get win10 activated on your device before the deadline finishes.

Weither you choose to use it or not is up to you, as your win10 licence will be ready and waiting for you, or put it another way when you you are forced down that route.

For those still pondering, if you do leave it the last miniute, set your system clock to US, that should give you an extra 12 / 24 hours extra, as Microsoft deadlines generaaly end in US time.  :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.