Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG and Omega  (Read 2221 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
LPG and Omega
« on: 31 December 2017, 02:49:56 »

I am considering, once I fix it, getting rid of my Mondeo while it still has some value. As good as it is, I worry this airbag fault may just be a sign of things to come.

I happened to be pondering this, whilst enjoying driving around in my lovely black Elite, and buying fuel - and noticed LPG near me was only 50p a litre!!

Long story short, in 18 months I should no longer be under a cloud of uncertainty, and my long term work and health position will be clearer. But until then I am considering cam-belting, servicing, and gassing my Omega, to use it as my daily driver for that period.

I will need help with tank fitting and such due to weight (and will plea for that at a later date) - but I'm just wondering what folk favour at the moment in terms of LPG.

Looking online, I see STAG do a new kit, which is smarter and adapts to injector values etc. Is this likely to be good for the Omega? I was a huge fan of the classic Stag 300 kit, so an improved one sounds good.

I know not many would see gassing an Omega as worthwhile at the moment, but My Elite (Ian U's old one) is in great shape despite the mileage, and if I were to use it for at least 18 months, it'd pay for itself in half of that, and enjoy every mile

I'd appreciate any up to date experience anyone has. I'd also be happy to use an older Stag kit, as they are proven on Omegas, and will post in the wanted pages just in case!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: LPG and Omega
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2017, 08:02:08 »

I am pondering this question on my Desmond... Might wait until the spring before committing though, so yet to investigate the parts cost, but rear end kit is probably something in the order of £400 depending on tank size...

For the as yet unmaterialised Mercedes I had been considering a new KME kit :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2017, 08:38:43 »

Just put LPG on mine and got the full kit from lpg shop seems to be running great at the moment, 70lt tank in the spare wheel well need to raise the floor a little but from full to empty i have done 300 miles, going to fill up today and see if i get the same or similar to another full tank. best thing i have done to the mig this year :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2017, 11:07:45 »

Injectors are the key.

The rest of the kit is mostly fine although I've had some trouble with the plastic hose connectors on my vapouriser (old VOltran one - get the KME gold instead), but I haven't come across a set of injectors that work perfectly with the Omega.

The Valtek Red / Yellow ones are OK but cause the famous "stumble" when changing up at high revs unless you set it to use petrol at highish RPM.
Don't even bother with the AC injectors. They overfuel at idle causing the engine to surge and then run out of fuel at high RPM.

I think Chrisgixer eventually got some more expensive keihin injectors which worked much better. I'd probably do that in favour of any of the types in the cheap kits if starting again.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2017, 11:40:56 »

Just put LPG on mine and got the full kit from lpg shop seems to be running great at the moment, 70lt tank in the spare wheel well need to raise the floor a little but from full to empty i have done 300 miles, going to fill up today and see if i get the same or similar to another full tank. best thing i have done to the mig this year :y

How much was your kit all in?

I’m still on the fence doing mine, but getting closer to actually doing it.

Still not convinced my mileage warrants it (with car sharing), more rust is a concern.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2017, 12:04:59 »

Does the more modern kit add anything in the way of economy or performance or close the gap at all?

Unless it offers something amazing I may just stick with what’s proven.

That said stag have always had my vote for the best DIY kit around so would consider taking one for the team by trying newer one!

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2017, 12:44:01 »

How much was your kit all in?

I’m still on the fence doing mine, but getting closer to actually doing it.

Still not convinced my mileage warrants it (with car sharing), more rust is a concern.
total cost was £713.92 for everything :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2017, 12:54:25 »

Thanks. Good value that is  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2017, 13:01:08 »

Unless that was a long run I would be checking that’s not running lean... I never managed more than 250 around town, normally closer to 230.

Of course, if you drive everywhere like Miss Daisy then that may explain it :-X
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2017, 14:32:40 »

From my 3l, 300 miles from a tank (80l, filling to 67l) was only possible on a well behaved long journey.  The 3.2l has lower economy.

So, I agree with Lazyboy, check it ain't going lean :)
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 31 December 2017, 15:22:34 »

From my 3l, 300 miles from a tank (80l, filling to 67l) was only possible on a well behaved long journey.  The 3.2l has lower economy.

So, I agree with Ladyboy, check it ain't going lean :)
He kept that quiet.  :o

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2017, 16:44:44 »

It was on a long run on the a55 and I have just filled up again so will be re checking the mileage also I don’t drive like miss daisy never have  ;D :-X

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2017, 17:47:50 »

First thing to ascertain is that you have plenty of LPG stations in your vicinity. I had a few but they disappeared one by one until there wasn't one within 10 miles and it become impractical for me.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2018, 14:52:23 »

First thing to ascertain is that you have plenty of LPG stations in your vicinity. I had a few but they disappeared one by one until there wasn't one within 10 miles and it become impractical for me.
This became my issue, nothing within 10 miles, or within a 5 mile detour on my standard commute.

The 2 that are nearest home are also bloody expensive, both knocking on the doors of 70p, and use well over a gallon and 45mins to use.  The one 3 miles from work I can only use at lunchtime, due to rush hour traffic, and have the worlds slowest pumps (30mins for 65l), on the rare occasions they actually sell (any) fuel.

Mrs TB has the same issue, but does pass M40 services that up til very recently sold LPG for nearly 80p, before doing the usual BP thing of ripping the pumps out.  She has a very cheap place near work, but its a pig to get to, and normally queues 4 or 5 cars for the single pump.  So, on her 80+ mile round commute, she has one option, which is Countrywide at Banburyshire.  If that closes, TBE will have to go and be replaced with a soot chucker.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 January 2018, 16:24:52 »

This became my issue, nothing within 10 miles, or within a 5 mile detour on my standard commute.

Don’t let the Doctor hear this, he can’t accept a small detour can be a deal breaker. As you say miles are short but can add lots of time. I’m fairly lucky as I have 3 decent ones.

What I do wish is Costco Farnborough sold diesel and petrol

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 January 2018, 16:30:16 »

The supermarket I use have it at 50p a litre, I also pass gas stations when I visit my family etc so availability not an issue :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.