Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scary bots  (Read 3135 times)

STEMO

Scary bots
« on: 05 January 2018, 22:10:51 »

There was a topic the other day where Lizzie, I think, asked why the number of guests online was large and wondered why they never bothered to join. Jaime said it was because they were mainly bots.
Well...I just took a peek at what these ‘guests’ were viewing and, it turns out, they were looking at members profiles. Members who haven’t been active for years...two of them looking at Dbugs profile. Take a look yourself, they are after...information.......about you, where you live, what you drive, your age.............be afraid.  :o

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Scary bots
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2018, 22:19:58 »

See we,ve got 15 on now.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2018, 22:30:17 »

I've just looked.  Tunnie and Webby were getting checked out!  GCHQ?  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2018, 22:32:05 »

I've just looked.  Tunnie and Webby were getting checked out!  GCHQ?  :)
Uncle Rupert is checking on Tunnie and the car park solicitors on Webby.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2018, 22:35:33 »

Terbert, LazyDocker, Sassanach, Lord Opti and TB are also getting the once over!  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2018, 23:03:30 »

I've noticed a couple of times these 'Guests' are printing topics, so some are real people.  ;)

And also expect a rash of new members as several Guests were apparently registering for new accounts last time I looked.  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2018, 23:23:24 »

I've noticed a couple of times these 'Guests' are printing topics, so some are real people.  ;)

And also expect a rash of new members as several Guests were apparently registering for new accounts last time I looked.  :y

No, they're probably trawling the print version of the site because it contains the basic text they're after without a load of other cruft that makes it look pretty on the screen. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2018, 23:27:35 »

No, they're probably trawling the print version of the site because it contains the basic text they're after without a load of other cruft that makes it look pretty on the screen. :y

Like the Christmas smilies?  ::)  :P

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2018, 23:38:44 »

Crikey. Are they really looking at your profile. .What if you are in the witness protection programme or a wanted criminal?

Maybe they are Russians looking for the next president of Britain. We could save them the effort and point them straight to Brackley.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2018, 01:11:18 »

One of those scary bots is viewing this thread!  ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2018, 02:19:28 »

Of course the guests will include GCHQ web crawlers looking for key words along with the other 5-eyes agencies that keep us safe, and also the Russian FSB, GRU & SVG who work as rivals each running their own operations, Ukrainian SBU, and all other intelligence agencies, including the EU and Mossad will be doing their job. :o

Just don't mention TB, culls, guns & bullets Pike or it will trigger one of GCHQ slowesh web crawlers, person of interest triggers. The real serous parallel processing and £££m are the massive parallel processing computers looking for key words in real time that ISPs must legally run in the UK and I won't mention TB, culls, guns & bullets Private Pike, and make TB a real person of interest that the mega fast Fast Fourier Transform analysis computers that telecoms companies must legally run and will now be looking for TB discussing culls, guns & bullets voice analysis keywords on the phone along with hot wiring his gay phone mike and camera in the bath which will put them off their tea, but they will settle again as they watch and listen to him watching his Samsung, LG, Phony or whatever TV. Probably, not a good idea right now for him as a person of interest to be watching RT, Al Jezeera news or ISIS terrorist videos. ::) ::) ::)

This is the level of transparent intelligence we are all subject to, along with CCTV. All transparent so nothing for you to see here, please move along and get on with your lives, while our brave security force put theirs on the line keeping us safe. :y :y :y

Safeguards are a fine line and with the UK it is much finer than the US which after Watergate and Tricky Dicky Nixon have generally ironically been stronger than ours despite traitor Snowden and the rapist 'take the moral high ground Russian agent' Assange shouting from the hills otherwise. :( :( :( I personally hate backstabbers especially those that commit treason like those two. :( :( :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2018, 11:04:17 »

Something trawled yesterday morning, using a shit load of bots simultaneously, and promptly killed the frontend web server for about 2hrs.  Opps.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2018, 15:20:59 »

There was a topic the other day where Lizzie, I think, asked why the number of guests online was large and wondered why they never bothered to join. Jaime said it was because they were mainly bots.
Well...I just took a peek at what these ‘guests’ were viewing and, it turns out, they were looking at members profiles. Members who haven’t been active for years...two of them looking at Dbugs profile. Take a look yourself, they are after...information.......about you, where you live, what you drive, your age.............be afraid.  :o

Yes, I must admit this has rather surprised me.  "Guests" actually being bots?!!  What the hell, that is scary, and yes if they are looking at our personal information, let alone what we express in posts..well!!!  I know about the GCHQ possibilities, but that does not worry me.  It is the bastard scammers, con artists, general criminals, etc, that do.

Now we are being told many of our "chips" in Apple products, along with others produced since the 1990's have a major flaw that allows for potential hacking.

Any one for going back to quill pen and paper?  Mind you, even then agents of the monarch, spies and conspirators were hard at work "looking in" to find out personal secrets and plans.

Yes, nothing new in intelligence gathering, but the speed and effectiveness of how it is done is, and getting better / worse, dependent on occupation / point of view. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2018, 15:22:35 »

Now we are being told many of our "chips" in Apple products, along with others produced since the 1990's have a major flaw
2011ish....
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2018, 15:26:34 »

Now we are being told many of our "chips" in Apple products, along with others produced since the 1990's have a major flaw
2011ish....

On the news they quoted the "1990's" TB*, so if it is only since 2011ish that is still worrying for me with my post 2013 magic gadgets! :o

* and this is one example of what is being said "out there" in the media:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-cyber-intel-researcher/how-a-researcher-hacked-his-own-computer-and-found-worst-chip-flaw-idUKKBN1ET1ZR
« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 15:29:23 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 January 2018, 15:29:18 »

2011ish....

On the news they quoted the "1990's" TB, so if it is only since 2011ish that is still worrying for me with my post 2013 magic gadgets! :o
Just make sure they are updated.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2018, 15:30:59 »

2011ish....

On the news they quoted the "1990's" TB, so if it is only since 2011ish that is still worrying for me with my post 2013 magic gadgets! :o

What, buy all new iPhone, iPad, PC etc? :o :o

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 January 2018, 15:37:55 »

2011ish....

Oh dear TB.  I think I have just asked you a stupid question! :-[ :-[

By "updated" I take it you mean any software updates that come through?

My PC has recently had a mass of updates for Windows 10, but how do I update a mobile phone's or iPad's software? ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2018, 17:16:39 »

Lizzie, that is easy. Look at settings app. It is a grey square  with a couple of gear wheels, open that and top of the list on right is Software update. have a play in there. If you have a lengthy or lot of updates it will need to be connected up to charging.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 January 2018, 17:49:47 »

Lizzie, that is easy. Look at settings app. It is a grey square  with a couple of gear wheels, open that and top of the list on right is Software update. have a play in there. If you have a lengthy or lot of updates it will need to be connected up to charging.

Right, many thanks for that Varche, will do!  :-* :-*:y :y :y :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 January 2018, 19:18:53 »

Yes, I must admit this has rather surprised me.  "Guests" actually being bots?!!  What the hell, that is scary, and yes if they are looking at our personal information, let alone what we express in posts..well!!!  I know about the GCHQ possibilities, but that does not worry me.  It is the bastard scammers, con artists, general criminals, etc, that do.

Now we are being told many of our "chips" in Apple products, along with others produced since the 1990's have a major flaw that allows for potential hacking.

Any one for going back to quill pen and paper?  Mind you, even then agents of the monarch, spies and conspirators were hard at work "looking in" to find out personal secrets and plans.

Yes, nothing new in intelligence gathering, but the speed and effectiveness of how it is done is, and getting better / worse, dependent on occupation / point of view. ;)

The biggest worry is actually foreign government's intelligence services especially the axis of evil countries of China, DPRK, Iran and Russia and how they will use them. The West is learning much about Russia's cyber capabilities from their regular attacks in Ukraine along with the active measures they are using to disrupt and sway public opinion. :( :( :(

Criminal are always looking for easy ways to make money at your expense but criminals are amateurs compared to all good intelligence services where they have large teams of hackers looking for exploits. It is illegal in many countries for the intelligence services to track you unless they have a court order or you are conversing with a person of interest, subject to a court order or from a foreign country (this will automatically includes all government and 'unofficial-government' officials) when they are allowed to record what is happening from all parties with their nationals classed as incidental information. There are rumours that at least 2 five eyes members have SIGINT from hacking several mobiles so they are hot-mics in the June 2016 collusion meeting between Donald Trump Jr & others & the Russian ambassador to the US and a Russian lawyer/agent.

Donald Trump made his first visit to Soviet Russia in 1987 and may have been recruited then as a long term asset to develop and he will have become a person of interest by five eyes intelligence from then on. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 January 2018, 20:06:34 »

Rods 2, if you suddenly disappear in the middle of the night, we will know why.....

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 January 2018, 22:15:13 »

Rods 2, if you suddenly disappear in the middle of the night, we will know why.....

Ron.

Everything I have written is already in the public domain. :y Successful research and gaining knowledge on a subject is finding and understanding where to look, doing lots of reading and buildup up a picture from a jigsaw with no defined pieces that fit in no defined order. :y

But as a retired college lecturer you know that as the most important lesson from post-school education is teaching how to do research and solve problems. :y Most of what you formally learn is at best useful background knowledge with 90%+ never used again. ::)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 January 2018, 00:18:42 »

Yep!  :y :y :y

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2018, 07:09:14 »

Ron.

Everything I have written is already in the public domain. :y Successful research and gaining knowledge on a subject is finding and understanding where to look, doing lots of reading and buildup up a picture from a jigsaw with no defined pieces that fit in no defined order. :y

But as a retired college lecturer you know that as the most important lesson from post-school education is teaching how to do research and solve problems. :y Most of what you formally learn is at best useful background knowledge with 90%+ never used again. ::)
Unless you aim to go into the teaching profession, as my son does, then you need to be able to pass it on.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 January 2018, 09:54:10 »

2011ish....

My PC has recently had a mass of updates for Windows 10, but how do I update a mobile phone's or iPad's software? ;)
If your iPhone/iPad has had a software update since mid December (that's the big update that takes 15m, and reboots device), you have the current patches for these already. iPods without wifi are kinda irrelevant.

If your iDevices are old and no longer supported by Apple, they wont get patched, obviously.

Win10, MS are still rolling out patches via Windows Update. For most of us, that will likely mean 2 Jan 18 cumulative updates. Pre Win10, patches are still being tested.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 January 2018, 14:23:13 »

2011ish....

If your iPhone/iPad has had a software update since mid December (that's the big update that takes 15m, and reboots device), you have the current patches for these already. iPods without wifi are kinda irrelevant.

If your iDevices are old and no longer supported by Apple, they wont get patched, obviously.

Win10, MS are still rolling out patches via Windows Update. For most of us, that will likely mean 2 Jan 18 cumulative updates. Pre Win10, patches are still being tested.

Thanks TB :y :y

Yes, all my devices have been updated, and in fact are in automatic software update mode. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.