Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost of food  (Read 5736 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of food
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2018, 23:11:52 »

Pasta !

All those Italians can't be wrong. It's incredible what you can do with it, very cheaply, and very tastilly, and very nutritionally. A 500 grm pack of spag or penne or similar in Lidl is .45p. Add a few bits and pieces and I'll feed 4 for around £3 or maybe £4. Yes I'm serious. And . . . it would be a credit to a half decent Italian restaurant that would charge £10 per person for it.

Meal for 4 Lidl

Pack of penne .45
Tin chopped tomatoes. 0.35p
An onion. maybe 0.20P or so ?
Pack of beef meatballs £1.60
Dash of oil, salt, black pepper fresh or dried garlic  . . . .I dunno, lets say 0.40p
Push the boat out . . . .  a glass of red wine   0.50
25 minutes of gas or electricity . . . I have no effin idea

Many variations on the above that are even cheaper, and sometimes better  :y

Bl**dy hell, can you buy a bottle of wine for £1.50 in your neck of the woods? :D Rest looks good though. :y

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2018, 05:52:05 »

Pasta !

All those Italians can't be wrong. It's incredible what you can do with it, very cheaply, and very tastilly, and very nutritionally. A 500 grm pack of spag or penne or similar in Lidl is .45p. Add a few bits and pieces and I'll feed 4 for around £3 or maybe £4. Yes I'm serious. And . . . it would be a credit to a half decent Italian restaurant that would charge £10 per person for it.

Meal for 4 Lidl

Pack of penne .45
Dash of oil, salt, black pepper fresh or dried garlic  . . . .I dunno, lets say 0.40p

Bl**dy hell, can you buy a bottle of wine for £1.50 in your neck of the woods? :D Rest looks good though. :y

Ah . . . . . well no. Caught out :-[     I buy my wine abroad  ;)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2018, 07:54:57 »

Pasta !

Meal for 4 Lidl

Pack of penne .45

Ah . . . . . well no. Caught out :-[     I buy my wine abroad  ;)

With a reasonably filled standard wine glass I get 5 glasses out of a bottle. At 67p per glass that is £3.35 or 3 bottles for £10 of their finest Nitromors red from my local off licence. Not very drinkable but fine for cooking and a glass of cheap red wine really does enhance the flavour of a bolognese sauce. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 January 2018, 08:21:26 »

70 cents a litre in our local supermarket. I use it in everything from gravy, stew, paella,soup. One of the joys of living abroad.

Anyone remember the wine concentrate you used to be able tobuy in the 80,s. .?Great for that dish of the time chicken in wineandherbs!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2018, 09:15:18 »

We have a Waitrose on site at Sky for us, only for use by Sky people. I often pop along at 4pm and get some reduced things. Pot of double cream for £0.10, normally £1. Fresh mackerel £0.90 for big pack. Pack for 4 fresh burgers £1.10.

Popped burgers in freezer for another day and did a potatoes fish bake thing with the cream.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2018, 09:33:11 »

I suspect the food never gets as far as the table.....

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2018, 09:42:22 »

So many men talking in detail on dish recipes!!! :o :o :o

Just PLEASE, PLEASE, do not all go into supermarkets together and too often!  Why?  Because on my cull list is men, along with very OAP's,  in supermarkets not knowing the rules of being there; where to place your trolley when browsing; taking so much time stuck in the way across where my desired product is; walking down the isle very slowly and somehow blocking everyone else's path of progress, and then at the checkout taking soooo looooong to unpack the trolley.............. so long to pack the bags as the product comes out the other side..............taking 5 minutes to dig out any coupons they have...........then finding their cards to pay, but taking 3 attempts to enter their PIN's.

Where is TB's cull list! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2018, 09:54:18 »

They were not men's traits you were describing, Lizzie. How often have I been trying to get through the aisles only to find 2 or 3 women b locking it and chatting trivia, and holding up the till queue until they get their purses out at the last minute, when presented with the amount to pay?
We know what we want before entering, TRY to go straigh to it and have our money/cards ready before joining the till queue!
Grrrr... >:( >:( >:(

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2018, 10:03:47 »

Yes Ron is right Lizzie, the traits you describe are not something most men do.  ::)

We don't browse for example as we know what we want, go in and get it, pay for it and get out ASAP!  :y

Women on the other hand......   ::)  The thing that women do that pisses me off is when they are at the checkout, and they're bagging everything up as the checkout person is scanning it and then when they've finished, they have to spend 5 minutes searching through a huge handbag for the purse...  Why can't they have the purse, cash and/or cards ready before they go to the checkout!  Aaaah!  >:(  :D  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2018, 10:07:09 »

;D ;D especially the Sharon thing. I bet she has a 68 inch 4D curved smart TV with full Sky package and a car outside that doesn't work through lack of any maintenance 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2018, 10:08:50 »

As above.

Another thing is repacking 4 bags when it's obvious that they've got 5 bags worth of stuff.

Shopping is a chore, not a social occasion.

Remember when you were taught to drive, and had to reverse around the corner? That's how you use rows of parking spaces.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 January 2018, 10:11:10 »

Another thing that women do is, when they spot something they might want to choose, they leave their trolley at 90 degs to the aisle while they ponder ...... then give you a hard stare when you push their trolley out of the way with yours  ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2018, 10:13:46 »

Another thing that women do is, when they spot something they might want to choose, they leave their trolley at 90 degs to the aisle while they ponder ...... then give you a hard stare when you push their trolley out of the way with yours  ::)

push? Andy- you obviously aren't moving at bloke shopping pace. Ram was the word you were looking for.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 January 2018, 10:18:22 »

And never, repeat NEVER, join a checkout queue where there is a female member of staff (identifiable by wearing her uniform) in the queue in-front of you. Once the till operator starts scanning their stuff they'll start nattering about all the in-shop gossip and it'll be next Christmas before you get served.

Occasionally it's unavoidable if the staff member is undercover in plain clothes though. >:(

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 January 2018, 10:23:55 »

James, what have you started?!!!  ;D

Ron.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.