Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mokka spare wheel well too small diameter to accommodate spare wheel  (Read 4177 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

I am embarrassed to have persuaded my sister to buy a steel spare wheel for her Mokka, only to discover it will not fit in the hole in the boot floor. Hole has plenty of depth, but not diameter. Are space saver wheels smaller diameter?

STEMO

Yes...usually 15 or 16”.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

I am embarrassed to have persuaded my sister to buy a steel spare wheel for her Mokka, only to discover it will not fit in the hole in the boot floor. Hole has plenty of depth, but not diameter. Are space saver wheels smaller diameter?
Generally not, as with most cars that would upset the ABS/Stability. Not to mention one corner being dangerously lower than the other 3.

The wheel itself might be smaller diameter, but would have a higher profile tyre to make rolling diameter approximately equal.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

Generally not, as with most cars that would upset the ABS/Stability. Not to mention one corner being dangerously lower than the other 3.

The wheel itself might be smaller diameter, but would have a higher profile tyre to make rolling diameter approximately equal.
The space savers on Vauxhalls are all 16” as far as I know. They fit into the spare wheel well where a full size won’t. So they must have a smaller rolling diameter. I’ve used mine on the astra and they are fine to get you to a repair shop, not dangerously lower at all.

STEMO

From the manual:

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Learn something new every day :y

Its a stupid, wanky idea though.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

Learn something new every day :y

Its a stupid, wanky idea though.

No, not a bad idea really.  Not only for space saving reasons, but I'm sure people get the full sized tyre fixed quicker to avoid going round on the space saver for too long.  ;)

Before the days of space savers, I wonder how many people had a punctured tyre in the boot that they hadn't got round to fixing.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

The wife had to drive home from Sheffield in the dark after the AA man put her space saver on the Captur. The fickin thing was lit up like a Christmas tree. ABS, TPMS, TC, ABS and every other acronym we’re going mental.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile

Get her to place it on the boot lid like the old Rover 2000/2200/3500. :)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Mokka spare wheel well too small diameter to accommodate spare wheel
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2018, 17:21:43 »

Or on the bonnet like a Landy

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2018, 17:50:04 »

Or on the bonnet like a Landy

Yep.......so problem now solved. :)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2018, 18:09:13 »

On an expat forum recently there was a long thread about a fellow driving from uk to malaga and back via various stop offs. His car did not have a spare wheel as standard. I read somewhere bmw decided the aveage puncture occurred every 93 k miles. He bought a fullsize spare and had two punctures in 4000 miles.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2018, 19:49:06 »

Spare wheel in the XJ6 I used to have was a space saver.A full size spare would fit in but raised the boot floor height to do so.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2018, 19:53:11 »

Spare wheel in the XJ6 I used to have was a space saver.A full size spare would fit in but raised the boot floor height to do so.
I reckon my XJ would take a full size front spare, rear might be a bit too much of a squeeze.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.