Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Work dilemma...  (Read 2738 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Work dilemma...
« on: 14 January 2018, 00:33:00 »

We have several HGVs at work. In order to take them out for fuel or maintenance, anyone driving them out of the gate has to have an HGV license.

We have a supervisor who is merely standing in, and is a really decent bloke that everyone will do anything for. Two of my colleagues offered to take two trucks out of the gate to help him out.

Neither have an HGV license and one doesn't even have a C1...

If they get reported, then all three will face severe disciplinary action.

The dilemma is whether to report them or not :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Work dilemma...
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2018, 01:35:01 »

Did he know the colleagues didn’t have the licence entitlement?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2018, 03:02:42 »

Yup...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2018, 03:55:06 »

I should add, the road in question is NOT a public road, but is one to which the public has access.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2018, 04:03:40 »

Tricky one mate and only thinking out loud here, objectively, and without my work / ethical head on. I nearly deleted this post, because I thought it sounded a bit egg sucky, but I'm sure you know me well enough that's not the case - it's just rambling  :y

One side of the coin, I guess it could be argued that if

A) The stand in boss is only there for a couple of weeks
B) The Usual boss, who's coming back, wouldn't allow i
C) It's therefore not something that will happen again, no harm's been done, and will probably become dead and buried...

Maybe it would be best to let sleeping dogs lie, as such.

The rationale behind this potential scenario being, will it cause you problems at work, if you have to give evidence at a disciplinary meeting/hearing, potential tensions with colleagues (if they don't get sacked and stay in post) - and the remaining ones thinking you're a "grass" and alienating you - will you then end up with months of the shit jobs - (I don't know what they're like, this is a potential thought based on any workplace and not a slight on them).

I'm thinking back to when I reported something terrible when I worked for an NHS Trust, and as a result, the managers and HR all closed ranks, and my life was made such a misery that I got a new job and left.

On the other side of the coin, what they did is wrong, and whilst unlikely, they could have killed someone on the roads in the worst case, and questions around insurance would arise, and in any case your employer could be subject to potentially huge compensation and negligence claims, and, just as a very worst case example, you could end up explaining to a coronors court why you knew this practice went on and didn't raise concerns..
(I'm obviously being very far fetched and extreme, but you get the jist)...

It's actually a really tricky call, and not one I envy you for  :-[

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2018, 04:06:28 »

I should add, the road in question is NOT a public road, but is one to which the public has access.

In which case, whist technically still an offence under the RT act, the real world risk is probably quite low, which furthers the argument for an informal response, maybe. if the boss really is that decent a bloke, could you maybe have a chat with him, along the lines of

"Mate, I'm not going to say anything to anyone, but I felt like I was put in a really awkward position with what happened, I don't want to rock the boat, but If it's something that keeps happening I might have to raise a concern"

Might just be enough  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2018, 04:40:59 »

(There's alot of issues at the moment... we're being TUPE'd at the end of the month, senior management are in another galaxy, and the supervisor has already left once in the last month because of the pressure being applied to him to take the role on permanently.)

The supervisor has spoken to both people.

Not sure what was said, but the older person really couldn't care less about anything... I believe his response was that it was the first time he had been asked and that he didn't think to question it.

The one with only a B licence almost certainly made the suggestion to take the truck out to fuel it, and did so fully aware that he shouldn't. I know he has been spoken to because he hasn't said two words to me all morning. I know he was only trying to impress the supervisor more than being helpful... consequently there are toys all over the airport.

I will see how his attitude is tonight and go from there. I only need to work with him for eleven nights out of the next twelve...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2018, 09:32:51 »

If the stand in supervisor is a decent bloke, I would have a quiet word with him on a "word to the wise" basis and let him know how potentially serious the consequences could be if something went wrong. And that in reality, he would be the one hung out to dry by those above and below him. I would leave it at that and allow him to take proper responsibility for the job he is doing.
If he ignores this and carries on allowing serious breaches of the rules, then he is too weak or incompetent to do the job and needs reporting before something serious happens.
A well developed sense of right & wrong, and workplace politics are uncomfortable bedfellows. Its not easy to strike the right balance.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2018, 10:04:41 »

It's really difficult to gauge without being aware of the actual risk to the public. Could be nothing, could be a tragedy waiting to happen.

.. but you wouldn't be in this dilemma without having some concerns.

I think the correct response, as said, is to report your concerns to the supervisor, explaining that you are unhappy about the practise and in a dilemma as a result.

The supervisor should read into this, that he isn't in trouble yet, but ought not to let it happen again.

Are you the only party who is HGV qualified? If so, your advice is authoritative and the supervisor would do well to listen.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2018, 10:18:29 »

It's really difficult to gauge without being aware of the actual risk to the public. Could be nothing, could be a tragedy waiting to happen.

I think the correct response, as said, is to report your concerns to the supervisor, explaining that you are unhappy about the practise and in a dilemma as a result.

The supervisor should read into this, that he isn't in trouble yet, but ought not to let it happen again.

Are you the only party who is HGV qualified? If so, your advice is authoritative and the supervisor would do well to listen.

I agree, as others have said, but in addition, keep a note of the time and date of the conversation, for your own protection, in case the sh1t hits the fan down the line. :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2018, 10:20:38 »

Difficult situation , damned if you do damned if you don't, would it be expected of you to report it in your position in the company ? If it is up to you & you don't do anything it could come back on you, if it is down to someone else let them deal with it.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2018, 10:26:04 »

I think the other question in my mind is whether these drivers have been trained to an equivalent standard to use these vehicles airside, but just lack a piece of paper saying they can do so on the public road, or are literally "winging it". It makes no difference from a legal perspective, however...
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2018, 13:12:35 »

I think the other question in my mind is whether these drivers have been trained to an equivalent standard to use these vehicles airside, but just lack a piece of paper saying they can do so on the public road, or are literally "winging it". It makes no difference from a legal perspective, however...
The training, such as it is, amounts to a couple of hours and is focused on operating the vehicles rather than driving them. Airside is a strict 20mph environment, whereas outside the gate is 30+ and is used by full size artics running to/from Cargo and the Fuel farm, not to mention the public accessing one of the long stay carparks.

[]highlight]The supervisor should read into this, that he isn't in trouble yet, but ought not to let it happen again.[/highlight]

He does understand the consequences, even if they have yet to sink in.

There are two hgv drivers on each night shift. I was on overtime, so there were actually three in last night. The supervisor does respect my input on operational points, and that he spoke to both parties immediately demonstrates this.

If my B licence colleague hasn't grown up today, then I will deal with him directly... our shift is a good one and there are several people that he looks upto, one of whom is also a C+E licence holder. Between us we can talk, or beat, some sense into him...

Thanks all :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2018, 15:38:19 »

Not wanting to hijack this thread but is slightly on topic. A large ironmongers near me has it,s main premises one side of a narrow but well used public road, but, also has a warehouse on the other side of the road. Quite often when i bike home from town i have to avoid a fork truck taking stuff from one to the other. The truck has no lights or licence plate etc. Surely this is illegal.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2018, 15:58:49 »

Hold tight...

There isn't a problem here, your just making a mountain out of a mole hill, just leave it alone,
This is the problem in today's world, everybody trying to stab everybody else in the back to gain browny points.
Ask yourself does it affect you, I don't think so, the manger/supervisor, knows what's happening so let him deal with it when it goes wrong, you are not paid enough to worry.
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.