Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New MOT Test  (Read 7988 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
New MOT Test
« on: 21 January 2018, 13:06:58 »

I have been reading about the new MOT test, that is supposed to be coming in.  I wonder how many Omegas will end up coming off the road permanently?

Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018

Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!

So...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.

These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-special-notice-01-18-inspection-manual-and-in-service-emission-data
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: New MOT Test
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2018, 13:11:19 »

Most of those are European directives, which vosa have been, looking to implement for a while, they consulted, experts, .
Hoof'land storeman.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2018, 13:28:10 »

'Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.'

How is that significantly different from the current regs? Advisories are shown on the current pass certificate, and if the vehicle still passes with 'minor fails' - well, I don't quite get it, unless I've missed something.....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2018, 13:50:54 »

Could mean more bargain MOT failures for us amateur spanner twirlers.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2018, 13:52:35 »

I did a posting on standardising European MOT's a while back.

This is an extract:

"I cannot find a UK reference but the Spanish law is RD563/2017.

In a nutshell from may next year a number of changes will come into effect across the EU from May 2018

1. "MOT" can be put on your (say Spanish) car in any member state . By the same token a British car can have a Spanish MOT. In the past the lack of this facility has meant driving the vehicle all the way back to the home country for an MOT. Not sure how the current rule that after 90 days, you as a Spanish resident, have to have your foreign car registered onto Spanish plates will pan out.

I am guessing that as well as sharing insurance databases the MOT will be shared too.

2. Diagnostic checks. Any Spanish car bought post 2000 petrol or post 2003 diesel  has an OBD 11 port which the new MOT from May 2018 will include checking for stored codes

I wonder if this will cause scrappage of more older cars.....

Anyone heard about the UK aspect of this? "

Spanish diesel emissions were tightened up last year resulting in the hilarious situation of waiting vehicles going for an Italian tune up and then sitting in the waiting bay with their engines screaming at 4/5 000rpm.

Thread was here. http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=141338.msg1834770#msg1834770 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2018, 15:38:30 »

It might get older cars off the road, but the majority of people are not going to be rushing out to buy a brand new car. This could mean people not being able to get to work, due to rubbish public services.  I know of a few places that you can only get to if you have your own car, jobs are always available but do not get filled that often due to no buses or other public transport.  So surely if people cannot get into work, they will either move to somewhere else or be made unemployed. This leads to a knock on effect ending up with the government, financing more unemployed.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2018, 15:52:12 »

It might get older cars off the road, but the majority of people are not going to be rushing out to buy a brand new car. This could mean people not being able to get to work, due to rubbish public services.  I know of a few places that you can only get to if you have your own car, jobs are always available but do not get filled that often due to no buses or other public transport.  So surely if people cannot get into work, they will either move to somewhere else or be made unemployed. This leads to a knock on effect ending up with the government, financing more unemployed.
Or...they could get their cars repaired.  ;D

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2018, 16:11:56 »

As the law stands now, my understanding is; if you go in before the expiry date & the car fails the MOT, you`ll be driving without a valid MOT.
I haven`t read the new rules, but I assume it`ll be the same  :-\
I`m in a unique postion, I`ve had my desmond for 8 years & she`s never failed  :D
MOT is in July & it`s about time I got the brake fluid changed anyway.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2018, 16:36:11 »

As the law stands now, my understanding is; if you go in before the expiry date & the car fails the MOT, you`ll be driving without a valid MOT......

No it doesn't  ...... that's the whole point in being able to take your car for MOT a month before. If a car is dangerous, its dangerous both with or without a MOT

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2018, 16:43:05 »

Nothing to worry about there surely. Correctly maintained cars will be ok and neglected or dangerous cars will fail. Exactly as it should be. Its wether the testers will test cars correctly or not that worries me. Im sure anyone who has bought a new aquisition even with a long or recent mot has found many a thing wrong that should have been pulled up at the test but domehow didnt.things such as very rusty brake pipes that didnt just get to that stage in a few weeks or months or metal fuel pipes etc.the stupid thing to me is that they are now abolishing mots for cars over 40 years old. Whilst most will be run by enthuisiasts who know their cars inside out there will be some that dont and end up on the road with dangerous faults.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2018, 16:49:40 »

As the law stands now, my understanding is; if you go in before the expiry date & the car fails the MOT, you`ll be driving without a valid MOT......

No it doesn't  ...... that's the whole point in being able to take your car for MOT a month before. If a car is dangerous, its dangerous both with or without a MOT

This is probably what he means . If the car fails the mot even thou the last one hasnt run out you have a car thats not in a roadworthy condition and cannot be used on the road .obviously this is from one extreme to the other ,bulb out or split wiper blade to one brake corner not functioning or a split/ cracked suspension arm etc.some faults would allow the car to be driven to a place of repair other faults wouldnt

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2018, 17:35:07 »

'Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.'

How is that significantly different from the current regs? Advisories are shown on the current pass certificate, and if the vehicle still passes with 'minor fails' - well, I don't quite get it, unless I've missed something.....

Quite agree, and I have to say with my car going through the MOT only last week mine would conform anyway to all those suggested changes. Two advisories are also clearly shown on the Test Certificate.  :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2018, 18:36:56 »

The M.o.T. testers at the local Ford dealers already use the OBD port to plug something or other in although of course if the car in question doesn't have such a port it's not detrimental to it being tested.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2018, 19:34:59 »

Oh dear. On both my 2.5s the EGRs are inoperative, but still present. On earlier cars I had removed them on advice from this forum, others I blanked off. They cannot check the operation of them, can they? I thought they only operated on a cold start.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2018, 19:40:36 »

With a  bit of luck the new diesel tests will get some of the poorly chipped / badly maintained tractors off the road. Otherwise, can't see much to be concerned about as an Omega owner.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.