Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: downsizing shortly  (Read 3405 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
downsizing shortly
« on: 09 February 2018, 22:46:29 »

swimbo & I are shortly moving from a 3 bedroom house  into a 1 bed bungalow. ( don't know exact when ) in my garden I have 3 sheds all full of mechanics tools (-upteen boxes ) builders tools & a shed full of gardening stuff. already done. loads of trips to the council tip with bags of stuff , done the charity shops off loading clothes. games books etc. i even have bought a 7" x 3.5ft"  trailer to help move.  stuff, as my wife has told me all the white goods & small electric appliances are going to be new. carpets new . it looks like all we are moving with is some living room furniture & tellies a bed + a few boxes of stuff. looking forward to it  ::) ::)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: downsizing shortly
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2018, 23:20:59 »

Understand your pain !!!  A conversation took place  a month or so back where Chris muted the fact that we would have to consider downsizing to a bungalow if stairs became a problem - conversation triggered by a friend who suddenly cannot do stairs at all for medical reasons.

I took her for a gentle walk around the house, stuck her head up in the loft, and casually mentioned the fact that no car has been inside the garage for 20 years due to the amount of crap that is stored therein .....and then simply asked ... "What the  **** do we do with that lot" ...... after a few moments thought the answer was .. "best we don't damage our backs" ......

:)

A touch of realism methinks !!  God forbid it ever actually has to happen !!!

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2018, 00:17:43 »

I think it,s a discussion that most of us have to have at some point. Am now just starting the process of clearing all the crap from the loft, garage and two of the bedrooms, (there is only me and SWMBO) in a four bedroom house. The problem has been compounded by the influx of stuff from clearing out my late Dads and SILs stuff too. I feel it,s something that i should do as it would fall on my kids if i got too old to do it. The two boys live 100 and 270 miles away and daughter is contemplating a move to the Canaries in the next year or two. So i reckon it,s down to me. Oh joy, i,d better buy an estate i suppose.  ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2018, 00:25:13 »

We all tend to accumulate junk when we have a big house to grow into. Periodic decluttering helps, but when it comes to serious downsizing, I reckon it is skip(s) and being ruthless. :y After 20 years of sitting on the it will be useful someday, we all know its never going to be the case, until a week after we've thrown it out. :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2018, 01:09:08 »

The trouble is, when considering throwing things away - you never know when you eill need it again?

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2018, 07:35:46 »

We "downsized"about 4yrs ago as Maureen could no longer get upstairs[luckily the house we lived in had a downstairs loo]we moved from a 2 up 2 down to a 2 bedroom bungalow.What we lost was  one room and the off road parking we had.What we gained was a garden[landlord won't let me hammer the wall and park on the garden :'(] and a shed.Even so the amount of crap I had to take to the skip-mostly mine and of the "it may come in handy one day" variety-was unbelievable ::)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2018, 09:22:21 »

swimbo & I are shortly moving from a 3 bedroom house  into a 1 bed bungalow. ( don't know exact when ) in my garden I have 3 sheds all full of mechanics tools (-upteen boxes ) builders tools & a shed full of gardening stuff. already done. loads of trips to the council tip with bags of stuff , done the charity shops off loading clothes. games books etc. i even have bought a 7" x 3.5ft"  trailer to help move.  stuff, as my wife has told me all the white goods & small electric appliances are going to be new. carpets new . it looks like all we are moving with is some living room furniture & tellies a bed + a few boxes of stuff. looking forward to it  ::) ::)
  I did buy a dustbin type garden incinerator that's managed to burn papers going back to 1978. + wooden picture frames etc

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2018, 09:43:55 »

7 inches might be a little small. Remember, size matters. ::) ::) ::) ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2018, 09:46:36 »

Can't afford to down size, as mentioned above, far too much "stuff" to get rid off. So just have do the 5th extension to improve storage, and let the kids clear it out.:-[ :-[ :-[

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2018, 10:29:31 »

Interesting thread. I am one of those hoarders- it may come in type.

In 2003 we sold our UK house and put our useful stuff into storage pending moving abroad. We had a huge clearout with

- selling on Ebay ( that was fun in those days). You would be amazed at the old stuff people will buy. :'(
- car boot ( which most certainly wasn't fun. In fact it was a ghastly experience )
- garage sale ( which was actually a yard sale of things like garden ornaments, chimney pots, even plants). That was quite fun.
- numerous tip trips ( running the gauntlet as the guy was convinced we were traders)

Then we lived in a caravan for eight months while we drove around looking for a house in France or Spain. That was actually very liberating as we only had the stuff you actually really really need for living.

Then we had our stuff in UK storage moved to our new house ruin and started collecting again. Two things brought home how much we had. First is after 14 years we still have a number of boxes unopened! The second was initially never having stuff like off cuts of wood to hold something in place. Got plenty again now.....

Mrs V keeps raising the subject of downsizing , I really like where we live but accept in a few years we might not be able to negotiate stairs. In the meantime we will keep accumulating. :'( :'(

Good luck with your move :y

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2018, 10:38:02 »

Squirrels of the world, unite!  :y

Ron.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2018, 11:14:41 »

We already live in a bungalow so ticked that box off already!

Although we are considering a loft extension  ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2018, 17:36:55 »

My view is, apart from xmas decs and suitcases, if anything goes in the loft, it may as well be skipped.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2018, 17:50:31 »

I agree with that, but unfortunately our loft is jam packed full of swmbos stuff - in case its needed some time.  ::)
We downsized (not through choice) about 15 years ago. The house we moved to is the size of one room in the previous house.
Swmbo was in hospital very ill, when I did the move, and I had the impossible task of fitting the contents of the big house into the little one. I still break out in a cold sweat at the memory !
I hate clutter whether in the house, shed, car, or anywhere else. Swmbo is a natural hoarder, so a degree of compromise is required - mostly from me, of course.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2018, 18:59:09 »

our loft is jam packed full of swmbos stuff
Bin it, she'll be none the wiser ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.