Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The dangers of Stop/Start, and general indecisive driving...  (Read 4202 times)

STEMO

Re: The dangers of Stop/Start, and general indecisive driving...
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2018, 21:01:54 »

Northern gas networks have decided that every inch of Victorian gas main has to be replaced up here. Well, relined with yellow poly pipe anyway. I can hit three sets of temporary traffic lights within 100 metres. Then they abandon them overnight and they usually throw a wobbler, either two reds, two greens or none at all.  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2018, 22:32:23 »

This thread gotme thinking.  Our nearest town has no traffic lights. In fact from our hoiuse it is a minimum of 90 minutes driving before you encounter them. Further in other directions. What a joy.

We do have  in Granada, what I nickname the worlds worst roundabout. Too big , badly defined lanes. Six entries all dual carriageways and six exits. It is so big everyone is doing 50, no one indicates . Always see aftermath of  accidents.  Wont be long before it has traffic lights.......
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2018, 03:10:36 »

Outside of rush hour in small town France they sensibly make traffic lights flashing amber with the give way signs prevailing. Far too sensible for the UK. :(

We all hate robotic 45mph drivers. Too fast for 30mph built up areas, much too slow for national limits. :( In the past before my eyes were flu-jab FUBERed the answer was easy, ride my 1100cc motorbike. Get yourself a new 600/1000cc bike and the problem is solved. :y :y :y

Further too that, be careful as in IME big black pussies are always nothing but trouble. :-X
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2018, 14:46:51 »

The main problem around these parts nowadays is the fact that every household has two cars, and the streets are becoming impassable during the evenings when everyone is at home.
And the new estate round the corner, the 2/3 bed houses have 1 parking slot allocated, and the 4 bed, 2.

So, you'd never get a fire engine through the main roads through the estates ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2018, 14:49:41 »

Your local Highways Dept have probably got too much cash floating around and need to spend it before the accounting year is up.  ::)
Shame the knob jockeys don't send some on improving the roads. Properly.

I reported some potholes (approx. 25 in a 25m stretch) about 3 weeks ago, got notification they had been repaired about a week ago.  Just travelled down that road this morning, they've all started to dig out again, due to the usual half-arsed job.  FFS, even I could fill in a pothole so it would last longer than a week...
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 February 2018, 16:08:03 »

If they were "repaired" by council workers, that explains why they are just as bad after a week.
If put out to contract, poor repairs mean another earner in a week ot two, thank you very much!
Solution? Contract, with a penalty clause insisting on free repairs for at least a year under warranty.

Ron.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 February 2018, 16:41:13 »

...means all roundabouts are getting traffic lights on them, because people are too scared to use a roundabout correctly  >:(

But this is very very dangerous, as instead of approaching the roundabout at normal speed, it means that I will accelerate really hard to beat the red light. I will then be going much too fast to negotiate the roundabout and I have more chance of crashing. Madness, total madness.  :)
The reality is, some dawdly old twonk in front of me just manages to get through the lights but has held me up so that I can't.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 February 2018, 08:38:20 »

With what Rods was saying about the traffic light flashing amber, that happens in less busy areas of Turkey, outside of the normal rush hour times. Works very well as its an alert to a junction

Keith ABS

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 February 2018, 09:17:33 »

With what Rods was saying about the traffic light flashing amber, that happens in less busy areas of Turkey, outside of the normal rush hour times. Works very well as its an alert to a junction

Keith ABS

Sounds way too advanced a concept for the average moron on UK roads to be trusted to cope with, sadly. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 February 2018, 12:08:21 »

This thread reminded me of when quite a few years back I car shared with another bloke from work. I went with him just the once. He drove at one speed which was 45 mph. So in built up areas I felt totally unsafe. Then going down the M69 to Leicester I was mentally willing him along. 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 February 2018, 12:51:50 »

We've got a couple of very busy roundabouts our way. The name of the game seems to be to drive around them at breakneck speed, and God 'elp anyone who attempts to get onto the roundabout and delay you by a microsecond, and no, why should I slow down and brake ? One of these roundabouts is an accident (I dislike the use of the word "accident" as they are not, they are caused by bad driving) blackspot. A lot of more timid drivers actually avoid them and will drive miles on an alternative route to get where they are going. The problem is not their timidity, it's the aggression of others.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 February 2018, 15:23:14 »

The name of the game seems to be to drive around them at breakneck speed, and God 'elp anyone who attempts to get onto the roundabout and delay you by a microsecond, and no, why should I slow down and brake ? ..........................

Sound advice, that method gets my backing.   ::)  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 February 2018, 15:36:26 »

People could do with actually following the lanes on roundabouts as well...

Followed a brand new transhit tourneo up Tollgate hill yesterday... 70mph dual carriage way. Eventually undertook, along with several other cars as he was doing a mere 55mph in the outside lane. When we get to the traffic lights, rather than joining the queue, he goes straight to the front of the left turn only lane, clearly expecting to pass the six cars that he had obstructed up the hill. Suffice to say, no one allowed him to change lanes and he was left the choice of braking/crashing into the central reservation of the lane he was in/losing the osf quarter in the side of my battered Omega... He braked. Hard.  ;D

On finally joining the M23, with zero rearward visibility due to the sun's angle, he was straight into the outside lane and settled at 90mph. Opposing oppstarding tunc >:(

Point is, no matter how people drive, there will always be someone worse. Hence the nanny in from the powers that be, even though it would be far more efficient to let these mindless tossers kill themselves in short order...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 February 2018, 17:51:34 »

People who don't indicate on roundabouts really get my goat!  >:(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 February 2018, 17:53:43 »

People who don't indicate on roundabouts really get my goat!  >:(

Lol,go to France or Spain,no bugger does there :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.