Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Troublesome exhaust but full MOT!  (Read 2233 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Troublesome exhaust but full MOT!
« on: 15 March 2018, 17:47:12 »

I’ve hurt my shoulder and my back is quite bad, so instead of fitting the new ETS system myself, I  popped the Elite Estate down to my local small garage who have a good reputation.

I didn’t think it would be troublesome, as I could see the cat to mid section bolts had been drilled out previously and replaced with nuts and bolts. So no drilling required.

I was quite surprised when I collected it, the chap said it took three hours, and that I’d have never managed it on ramps.

Minor setback though, and he only charged me for a couple of hours. And now has a years clean ticket with no advisories :y

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
Re: Troublesome exhaust but full MOT!
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2018, 17:53:28 »

Happy days :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2018, 18:29:50 »

I was quite surprised when I collected it, the chap said it took three hours, and that I’d have never managed it on ramps.

Did he do it with his eyes shut while wearing boxing gloves? 🤔
As you suggest,  it a piece of p fitting en exhaust, even on ramps and axle stands.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2018, 18:54:34 »

Does sound odd, if it didn't need drilling, it was a 30 min job, including tea and butty break.

Very bizarre  :-\
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2018, 19:06:47 »

Does sound odd, if it didn't need drilling, it was a 30 min job, including tea and butty break.

Very bizarre  :-\
Unless they had to tweak the mountings :-\

Last one I fitted to no time at all to connect to the cats and back box, but took an absolute age to   position correctly... Had to even separate the irmscher cross pipe to get it all lined up with the bumper cutouts.

Didn't help that whoever had fitted the previous centre sections managed to cross them over where the pass under the rear axle... :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2018, 23:43:48 »

For the record. Of course I would have achieved it on Ramps. As good as the garage are, I'm prepared to bet I know my way around the Omega, at very least, equally as well.

But for the sake of £100, when I'm in so much pain I can hardly roll around in bed.... it would be stupid to do anything but pay someone with a 4 poster, to fit an exhaust!

Especially when you consider... had I not had it done today, I'd have lost my ten day window for MOT retest, which is £40 in itself  ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2018, 23:52:46 »

Makes sense.  :y.............still shouldn't have taken them 3 hours though.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2018, 19:31:22 »

For the record. Of course I would have achieved it on Ramps. As good as the garage are, I'm prepared to bet I know my way around the Omega, at very least, equally as well.

But for the sake of £100, when I'm in so much pain I can hardly roll around in bed.... it would be stupid to do anything but pay someone with a 4 poster, to fit an exhaust!

Especially when you consider... had I not had it done today, I'd have lost my ten day window for MOT retest, which is £40 in itself  ::)
Nobody was doubting your ability 😉 just doubting the garage's if it took them 3 hours for a simple task. Especially when they were using a proper lift.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2018, 19:35:54 »

Didn't take me that long and I had the bolts to drill!!However given the state of your health at present-and for the sake of it into the future- it's got to be money well spent.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2018, 22:20:57 »

Before I changed the exhaust on my car I phoned up the garage to save me the hassle of changing it to be met by the response that the bolts might be rusty and they didn't really want to do it. so with only the rear of the car on ramps I struggled to drill out the bolts with countless bits but after starting out ok they veered of centre so I gave up. and decided to replace the entire system which despite what people say IS a pig of job but I completed it and I wish I hadn't to be honest because the thing sounds really tinny, but never mind its done.

relluf

« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2018, 12:40:48 »

Well done James !
 Its good to hear you are taking things sensibly and not over doing things.

You will be pleased to hear that I have just taken MF03 for it annual check up(MOT) and other than fitting two new sport maxx on the rears(which i expected) it passed  with no advisories and no other comments from my MOT guy .

I am still super pleased with it , it runs perfectly , goes like stink and everything in it works  ,its a joy to own.
I am a little disappointed in that i have only managed to clock up another 3k in the year, i really must try harder to get out more but work seems to get in the way  >:(
« Last Edit: 17 March 2018, 12:44:34 by Franks Dad »

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2018, 12:45:27 »

Glad its through, James. :) :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2018, 13:14:18 »

Well done James !
 Its good to hear you are taking things sensibly and not over doing things.

You will be pleased to hear that I have just taken MF03 for it annual check up(MOT) and other than fitting two new sport maxx on the rears(which i expected) it passed  with no advisories and no other comments from my MOT guy .

I am still super pleased with it , it runs perfectly , goes like stink and everything in it works  ,its a joy to own.
I am a little disappointed in that i have only managed to clock up another 3k in the year, i really must try harder to get out more but work seems to get in the way  >:(

Of all the Omegas I owned, there have been three I bitterly regret parting with.

Yours is certainly one!

Is it really a year??!  Pleased you still enjoy :y

relluf

« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2018, 13:52:25 »

Yes must be a year, I think you put it through its MOT just before letting her go.

I'm sorry 😞 but no  she is not coming back! However much you regret it😊
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.