Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maplin Dual Band WiFi Cable Router/ Extender / Repeater - 13 Quid,  (Read 6038 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

A fair few peeps ask on here about improving the WiFi Coverage, so thought this may help someone out for £13.

A Closing Down Sale Item. so reduced to clear, cant vouch for it personally but cheap enough price wise.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/search/?text=Maplin+WN529A3-B+AC1200+Dual+Band+Wireless+Cable+Router

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile

I am currently using a Sky hub as part of my satellite deal. Would that router help and/or be compatible?

Thanks,
Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

Good call and I've taken a risk at that price and have 2 on order, one to boost the signal in my back garden so I can sit on the patio working in the summer using my laptop with a 2nd screen :y :y :y and one for the MIL/SIL in Ukraine where their sprawling bungalow has solid brick walls and they can only get a signal in part of the house. :y :y :y The fact that the room it will be located in will be adjacent to their patio, so I can sit outside in the summer sun with my laptop on my summer travels will be entirely coincidental. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

I am currently using a Sky hub as part of my satellite deal. Would that router help and/or be compatible?

Thanks,
Ron.

Shouldn't be a problem where the receiver will need to be set to the same channel as your Sky router and the transmitter to a different channel. The repeater will need to be close enough to get a resonable signal or you will need to run a cable.

I had to setup multiple cable linked repeaters when I did several hotel installations where the buildings were concrete shells that really hammered the wifi signals.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile

A fair few peeps ask on here about improving the WiFi Coverage, so thought this may help someone out for £13.

A Closing Down Sale Item. so reduced to clear, cant vouch for it personally but cheap enough price wise.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/search/?text=Maplin+WN529A3-B+AC1200+Dual+Band+Wireless+Cable+Router

For us techno numptys, how would I use this? In place of an existing router? or in addition to it in another room to extend coverage? :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile

That was about to be my follow-up question to Rods2, Mr. S, because I wasn't sure whether to use both together or just the Maplins one?

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

You use it remotely from the main router where you have a poor signal. With a cable connection you connect it to the main router and select a free IP address within your local network subnet, this normally defaults to 192.168.0.nnn. Lookup on your PC your internet gateway IP as the first 3 number as this will give you the local network range. Iirc on the Zyxel ones I used you also had to set a matching password to the Zyxel base unit and the SSID. The Zyxel system had a base unit and printer which provided the customer with login credentials which once you were logged onto seamlessly used the nearest access point. My memory is a bit sketchy on this as it was 10+ years ago when I installed these networks. You will probably need a crossover network cable (unless one is provided) and the connect your PC to the router type the default router admin ip address in your browser and use the default account name and password to configure.

You then set this router to a different wifi channel to the one you use on your main router. If there are quite a few wifi connections around you set it to a channel number that will interfere the most with your neighbours wifi ;D that will cause you the least interference. :y

Now I assuming with the 4 aerials that the router can act as a receiver as well as a transmitter. The repeaters I used had this function but at the cost of throughput so I never used it.

When I get the units through I will read the distructions and set one of them up so I can talk through anybody having problems.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Never use this as a pure extender (ie, it receives the signal over wifi, and re-sends it). *ALL* wifi extenders, without exception are shite, and will 'dangle berries' up your throughput, even when not using the bloody thing.

If used via cable as an additional wifi access point, it should be fine.

Use the same SSID/key. If your local 2.4Ghz wifi allows it, use it on a different prime channel to your router, but if its too busy in your area, put it on the same channel.  Under no circumstances (unless you really know what you are doing) but it on a non prime channel (sometimes incorrectly called overlapping channels).  5Ghz should have enough free channels.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

.. and don't sit on it by mistake. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

You use it remotely from the main router where you have a poor signal. With a cable connection you connect it to the main router and select a free IP address within your local network subnet, this normally defaults to 192.168.0.nnn. Lookup on your PC your internet gateway IP as the first 3 number as this will give you the local network range. Iirc on the Zyxel ones I used you also had to set a matching password to the Zyxel base unit and the SSID. The Zyxel system had a base unit and printer which provided the customer with login credentials which once you were logged onto seamlessly used the nearest access point. My memory is a bit sketchy on this as it was 10+ years ago when I installed these networks. You will probably need a crossover network cable (unless one is provided) and the connect your PC to the router type the default router admin ip address in your browser and use the default account name and password to configure.

You then set this router to a different wifi channel to the one you use on your main router. If there are quite a few wifi connections around you set it to a channel number that will interfere the most with your neighbours wifi ;D that will cause you the least interference. :y

Now I assuming with the 4 aerials that the router can act as a receiver as well as a transmitter. The repeaters I used had this function but at the cost of throughput so I never used it.

When I get the units through I will read the distructions and set one of them up so I can talk through anybody having problems.

That's easy for you to say Chris, you may have missed the beginning of my question ref techno numpty. :-\ :-\ :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

I've ordered one anyway, in the hope you lot will tell me how to use it. :-[

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile

Me too!  :y

Ron.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

Right, mine's arrived. What do I do with it? ::)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile

So has mine, so I have the same question!

Ron.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

So has mine, so I have the same question!

Ron.

We need a petition Ron. ;D

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile

Plug it in would be a start.... :)
I like red cars

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile

Or maybe we should all gather in the classroom?  :y

Ron.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

Plug it in would be a start.... :)

The problem is, and I expect Ron is the same, the instructions are written for people who understand these things. :-[

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile

Like with any disciplne, the jargon is designed to keep the outsiders out!

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

Mine has also arrived this morning as well and I've had a quick read of the destructions.

Now I assume you are all going to run a cat5/6 cable to connect it to your broadband router to avoid being added to TB's cull list. ;D

I won't have time to directly play with the settings until tomorrow or Sunday.

Power up the unit and you should be able to discover the default wifi settings using your Windows wifi connection tool. The default SSID is "TDC-9864". connect to this.

If you are allowing the broadband router to automatically allocate IP addresses to your PC / Laptop etc, this means you are running in DHCP mode and the device will automatically be allocated a local IP address.

Open your browser and type the address http://192.168.10.1 and a login screen should be displayed. The default account name and password are both "admin".

A web page should be displayed, select router.

Go to the wireless section and setup the SSID, channel mode (default: automatic, personally I would set this manually and if your default broadband router is set to 3 for 2.4GHz select a minimum of three channels difference and ideally at least six and for the 5GHz which is probably set on your broadband router at 40, select either channels 44 or 48), security type (if not default: WPA/WPA2) and create a password which you have written down and will keep in a safe place! Click "reply" and the router will apply the changes and reboot.

VERY IMPORTANT: Log back onto the router with your new wifi SSID and password and then to avoid a second TB cull list addition by logging back in using "admin" and "admin", select the "advanced settings" menu write down on the same piece of paper as your wifi password a new admin login password and on the change password page set the new password.

Thats it all done. 8) 8) 8) Now the fun of routing your network cable to where you are going to place the router. :-[

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile

Je ne parle pas le IT langue - en Anglais, s'il vous plait!  :(

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

Je ne parle pas le IT langue - en Anglais, s'il vous plait!  :(

Ron.

Ah, vous ne comprends pas et je parle petit Francais! :-[

But I can probably help you with the IT speak but only in English. Try each step and when you get stuck explain the problem and I will try to explain in more steps. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

Mine has also arrived this morning as well and I've had a quick read of the destructions.

Now I assume you are all going to run a cat5/6 cable to connect it to your broadband router to avoid being added to TB's cull list. ;D

Power up the unit and you should be able to discover the default wifi settings using your Windows wifi connection tool. The default SSID is "TDC-9864". connect to this.

If you are allowing the broadband router to automatically allocate IP addresses to your PC / Laptop etc, this means you are running in DHCP mode and the device will automatically be allocated a local IP address.

Open your browser and type the address http://192.168.10.1 and a login screen should be displayed. The default account name and password are both "admin".

Go to the wireless section and setup the SSID, channel mode (default: automatic, personally I would set this manually and if your default broadband router is set to 3 for 2.4GHz select a minimum of three channels difference and ideally at least six and for the 5GHz which is probably set on your broadband router at 40, select either channels 44 or 48), security type (if not default: WPA/WPA2) and create a password which you have written down and will keep in a safe place! Click "reply" and the router will apply the changes and reboot.

VERY IMPORTANT: Log back onto the router with your new wifi SSID and password and then to avoid a second TB cull list addition by logging back in using "admin" and "admin", select the "advanced settings" menu write down on the same piece of paper as your wifi password a new admin login password and on the change password page set the new password.

Thats it all done. 8) 8) 8) Now the fun of routing your network cable to where you are going to place the router. :-[

I think I can follow most of that. However, my idea is to use this to give me wifi in the garage. Can I set it up by cable, then take it outside for a wireless connection? Or will it lose the settings I've just put in via cable?

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

The settings will be saved permanently in non-volatile memory, but if you don't connect it with a cat5/6 cable to your broadband router then you will have to use receive and retransmit mode which I can talk you through but is not recommended as it will reduce your data transmission bandwidth. The repeater will also need to be within range of your broadband router, so it will need to be located where the signal is high enough to be received, like on an wall inside your house as close to your garage as possible.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile

looks like they have sold out :'(
« Last Edit: 27 April 2018, 16:33:48 by Varche »
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

The settings will be saved permanently in non-volatile memory, but if you don't connect it with a cat5/6 cable to your broadband router then you will have to use receive and retransmit mode which I can talk you through but is not recommended as it will reduce your data transmission bandwidth. The repeater will also need to be within range of your broadband router, so it will need to be located where the signal is high enough to be received, like on an wall inside your house as close to your garage as possible.

I can mount it inside the lounge which is divided by a single cavity wall from the garage. I only need wifi in the garage for OOF on a tablet, or to upgrade the Mondeo software.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

I can connect to it with my ipad but dont know how to input the SSID.

Edit: I am using a cat 5E cable to connect it to my current router. ::)
« Last Edit: 27 April 2018, 17:20:29 by Shackeng »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

Use the Ipad "Settings" and go to "Wifi" and then select "Other Network" and enter the SSID on the name line. As the default is an open network you won't need a password.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

looks like they have sold out :'(

Check with the OOF Omega breakers as they will probably have a garage corner full of them, if the can find them under all of the VX90, Senator and Omega spares. ;D ;D ;D

STEMO

Use the Ipad "Settings" and go to "Wifi" and then select "Other Network" and enter the SSID on the name line. As the default is an open network you won't need a password.
iPad should just pick it up and display it as an open network. Just click on it and it will connect if no password is required. It should also show you the signal strength.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

having looked at the handbook with a magnifier, this is 9B64. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

I have got as far as choosing WPA/WPA2 mixed, WPA2 Personal or WPA Personal. Which should I choose? and what does it mean?

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

I have got as far as choosing WPA/WPA2 mixed, WPA2 Personal or WPA Personal. Which should I choose? and what does it mean?

Try it first with WPA2 Personal as it is the most secure. If any of your devices won't connect to the access point then use WPA/WPA2 mixed as the device doesn't support WPA2/AES

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

OK I've set WPA2 personal, it now wants a wifi key. Is this a password I have to make up? Or is it something on the unit?

PS Still would like to understand what this is. :-\

Edit: OK did a google search, and understand it is the encryption protocol.

Do I invent my own password?
« Last Edit: 29 April 2018, 12:02:50 by Shackeng »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

i'm not doing very well with this. I assumed that security key required me to make up a password, which I did. I still haven't found anywhere in its pages where I can enter the SSID. So did what I could according to the instruction book, but it still won't connect wirelessly to the internet. >:(
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.