Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Maplin Dual Band WiFi Cable Router/ Extender / Repeater - 13 Quid,  (Read 6084 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile

Mine has also arrived this morning as well and I've had a quick read of the destructions.

Now I assume you are all going to run a cat5/6 cable to connect it to your broadband router to avoid being added to TB's cull list. ;D

I won't have time to directly play with the settings until tomorrow or Sunday.

Power up the unit and you should be able to discover the default wifi settings using your Windows wifi connection tool. The default SSID is "TDC-9864". connect to this.

If you are allowing the broadband router to automatically allocate IP addresses to your PC / Laptop etc, this means you are running in DHCP mode and the device will automatically be allocated a local IP address.

Open your browser and type the address http://192.168.10.1 and a login screen should be displayed. The default account name and password are both "admin".

A web page should be displayed, select router.

Go to the wireless section and setup the SSID, channel mode (default: automatic, personally I would set this manually and if your default broadband router is set to 3 for 2.4GHz select a minimum of three channels difference and ideally at least six and for the 5GHz which is probably set on your broadband router at 40, select either channels 44 or 48), security type (if not default: WPA/WPA2) and create a password which you have written down and will keep in a safe place! Click "reply" and the router will apply the changes and reboot.

VERY IMPORTANT: Log back onto the router with your new wifi SSID and password and then to avoid a second TB cull list addition by logging back in using "admin" and "admin", select the "advanced settings" menu write down on the same piece of paper as your wifi password a new admin login password and on the change password page set the new password.

Thats it all done. 8) 8) 8) Now the fun of routing your network cable to where you are going to place the router. :-[

having looked at the handbook with a magnifier, this is 9B64. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

I have got as far as choosing WPA/WPA2 mixed, WPA2 Personal or WPA Personal. Which should I choose? and what does it mean?

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

I have got as far as choosing WPA/WPA2 mixed, WPA2 Personal or WPA Personal. Which should I choose? and what does it mean?

Try it first with WPA2 Personal as it is the most secure. If any of your devices won't connect to the access point then use WPA/WPA2 mixed as the device doesn't support WPA2/AES
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

OK I've set WPA2 personal, it now wants a wifi key. Is this a password I have to make up? Or is it something on the unit?

PS Still would like to understand what this is. :-\

Edit: OK did a google search, and understand it is the encryption protocol.

Do I invent my own password?
« Last Edit: 29 April 2018, 12:02:50 by Shackeng »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

i'm not doing very well with this. I assumed that security key required me to make up a password, which I did. I still haven't found anywhere in its pages where I can enter the SSID. So did what I could according to the instruction book, but it still won't connect wirelessly to the internet. >:(
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.