Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: An Irish Irony  (Read 2771 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
An Irish Irony
« on: 29 May 2018, 11:14:56 »

I wonder how many people in the Republic of Ireland voted to change their countries abortion laws that wouldn't be here to vote, if Ireland had had similar abortion laws to the UK for years?  ???  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: An Irish Irony
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2018, 12:06:37 »

For the record I am not anti abortion and am pro choice, but I do think that the 24 week limit here in the UK should be looked at.  :)

As to my original question.  Now the focus has shifted to Northern Ireland, I saw a statement made by a DUP MP where he said that there are 100,000 people alive today in NI, who wouldn't be here today if abortion was easily available in NI.  How he knows this I don't know.  :-\

Maybe there are records of women travelling from NI to GB for abortions.  :-\

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2018, 15:40:16 »

But wouldn't that be the case for any country that chose to change the law based on a referendum or election?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2018, 15:45:11 »

Yes I guess so.  I like an irony though, and thought it was an interesting concept.  :)

Didn't want or mean to start a controversial thread about the rights and wrongs of abortion or anything though.  ::)  ;)  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2018, 16:16:16 »

Yes I guess so.  I like an irony though, and thought it was an interesting concept.  :)

Didn't want or mean to start a controversial thread about the rights and wrongs of abortion or anything though.  ::) ;) ;D

only if you can 'prove' how they are one of the causes of global warming climate change whatever the opps they're calling it this week.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2018, 16:57:36 »

Didn't want or mean to start a controversial thread about the rights and wrongs of abortion or anything though.  ::) ;) ;D

only if you can 'prove' how they are one of the causes of global warming climate change whatever the opps they're calling it this week.

All these Irishwomen from North and South coming over to GB have a carbon footprint?  :P  ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2018, 17:34:35 »

I am definitely not getting involved in this discussion that will become an increasingly "hot potato" for many :-X :-X :-X :-X

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2018, 17:49:59 »

Well I'm getting involved. Women should have free choice...it's their body. Religion should never be able to influence the laws of the land.
But I do agree with Tigger on the time limit. 24 weeks is awful, it's a fully formed child by then. 12 weeks should be the limit, or 18 for medical reasons, certainly no longer without a very good reason.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2018, 18:20:48 »

Well I'm getting involved. Women should have free choice...it's their body. Religion should never be able to influence the laws of the land.
But I do agree with Tigger on the time limit. 24 weeks is awful, it's a fully formed child by then. 12 weeks should be the limit, or 18 for medical reasons, certainly no longer without a very good reason.

But the state of being pregnant means that they have another body inside their body.
Lets get controversial.  ;D

I agree that 24 weeks is too high. I believe it involves ripping off heads/ arms/ legs to remove it ? How people trained to save lives can do that beggars belief.
I believe that up to 12 weeks involves taking a couple of tablets and isn't surgical ?
There is now  pressure being applied by certain groups to allow abortion up to the point of labour !
The woman in charge of these things in the UK (head of RCM rings a bell ?) is arguing in favour of this, and I seem to remember Hilary Clinton doing similar during her election campaign.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2018, 18:29:59 »

On the subject of the vote in the Irish Republic. It shows how much that country has changed in the last 30 years or so.
I can well remember when the Catholic church had total power there, and no -one ever dared to challenge or argue with a priest.
The poorest people I have ever seen would put their last few coppers at the little shrines to the virgin Mary which were scattered all over the country, even if it meant their families going hungry.
The priest would then come along and scoop it up and put it in his pocket. Of course every penny was used for good causes.  ::)
The system broke down somewhat when my uncle Foster was there on holiday though.
He would make a point of getting there before the Priest and collect it up to spend in the pub . ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2018, 18:31:36 »

On the subject of the vote in the Irish Republic. It shows how much that country has changed in the last 30 years or so.
I can well remember when the Catholic church had total power there, and no -one ever dared to challenge or argue with a priest.
The poorest people I have ever seen would put their last few coppers at the little shrines to the virgin Mary which were scattered all over the country, even if it meant their families going hungry.
The priest would then come along and scoop it up and put it in his pocket. Of course every penny was used for good causes.  ::)
The system broke down somewhat when my uncle Foster was there on holiday though.
He would make a point of getting there before the Priest and collect it up to spend in the pub . ;D
Sweeties for young boys?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2018, 18:39:46 »

Something like that, I would imagine.  ;) Or it got spent in exactly the same place regardless, just by a different person.
I think you and my Uncle Foster would have got on. He was in the Army in the 60,s and was a complete rogue.
Spent more time in the glass house than anywhere else.  ::)
He came to visit us "on leave" when I was a kid, as his barracks were only about 20 miles away.
One day Mum noticed a car with two smartly dressed blokes in it, who were constantly watching our house.
Eventually, they hammered on the door and came in and arrested him. He wasn't on leave, he had broken a Sergeants jaw with his rifle but and then legged it.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2018, 20:14:14 »

Something like that, I would imagine.  ;) Or it got spent in exactly the same place regardless, just by a different person.
I think you and my Uncle Foster would have got on. He was in the Army in the 60,s and was a complete rogue.
Spent more time in the glass house than anywhere else.  ::)
He came to visit us "on leave" when I was a kid, as his barracks were only about 20 miles away.
One day Mum noticed a car with two smartly dressed blokes in it, who were constantly watching our house.
Eventually, they hammered on the door and came in and arrested him. He wasn't on leave, he had broken a Sergeants jaw with his rifle but and then legged it.  ;D
Life was different then. Breaking a superior officers face with a rifle butt was considered 'roguish'. Nowadays, it would flash across social media in an instant and be reported on mainstream news channels. Then the officer who defended him at his court martial would wheel in several social workers, a shrink and his auntie Gladys to say what a good boy he was until the army made him do nasty things to Arabs  ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2018, 20:49:25 »

As far as I can make out among those opposed to such a vote in N.Ireland are the DUP.Doesn't the D in DUP stand for democratic?So you have a democratic party opposed to the idea of people having a vote :D :D

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2018, 21:17:00 »

As someone who worked in operating theatres for many years (a long time ago) and witnessed many TOPs (Termination of Pregnancies) and seen the results, I have to agree. It's rare, but not unknown, that the mother-to-be doesn't know the score by 24 weeks and can make an early decision. However, there are exceptions such as mental/development problems and extreme obesity where the pregnancy may be unknown until a late stage.

In the old days doctors certainly "played God" with some decisions, and I have to say I can't recall any that were clearly just plain wrong for the interests of mother and child. But these days ? Ambulance chasers, public opinion, civil rights, legalities etc rule.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 21:18:33 by Mister Rog »
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.