Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Avation memorabilla  (Read 5162 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Avation memorabilla
« Reply #15 on: 14 June 2018, 22:23:36 »

I've never heard of  it, but then I left in '76, so perhaps not in use then.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2018, 23:06:09 »

Well i've emptied the car tonight and had a very quick look.

Quite a lot looks like civvy stuff.  A nice combined lighting control panel with a few other switches on.
A couple of in tank fuel pumps which are the size of dinner plates.
A couple of Plessey 24 volt / 400 amp circuit breakers.
A 200 knot ASI
A Direction indicator.
A brake unit off a De Haviland Heron  :D
A few hydraulic components which are still sticky with PX24 / OX 38. Ah the memories   :y :D :D
A few coms / engineering panels which from the switch layout ect, they are probably off a twin prop job  :y
And quite a few other pieces.

All this lot has a good 15 years of dust and grime on them so if I get chance, i'll start cleaning them up and take a few pictures  :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2018, 23:23:11 »

Not really sure on your question but it reminded me of a diner that used to be near here called "Dakotas". The bar inside was made out of a section of C47 fuselage and the tail section was suspended in the adjacent lake as if it had crashed there - until the council jobsworths got their way. :(

There were a couple of Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasps on display in the restaurant too. I wonder what happened to them when it closed? Not sure I could have got one in the back of the Omega anyway. ;D

Basically i've got a car full of aviation bits and I want a better idea exactly what they are / what aircraft they are off so I can get the best price and sell on to make money  :y :D

This place had a replica of a pre WW1 monoplane which was about 30 foot long strung up from the roof  8)
Sadly a quick mental calculation told me it wouldn't fit in the back of my mk2 Astra estate and may have caused problems if I bungie cored it to the roof rack because i'd have had to drive past a police station to get it home  :( :D :D 

If you had have done that you might have been able to fly home  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 June 2018, 11:54:16 »

Offer some on here, I fancy something for the man cave  :y ;D

Have you a better idea of what your after  what your lovely lady would let you bring home ?   ;D

Are you looking for items that go on walls OR shelfs ?

Something for the wall ideally, plenty of wall space to fill in the  :ycave

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 June 2018, 17:07:40 »

You might be lucky and find a BMW owner with a conscience who would take the direction indicator off your hands. ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 June 2018, 17:51:11 »

As someone who has dealt in antiques / collectables in a former life, be careful how, and how aggressively you clean these items.

I may well be preaching to the converted, but as I think most people are aware now thanks to years of Antiques Roadshow/Bargain Hunt/etc any collector likes stuff in original condition, and anything excessively 'restored' can knock pounds off the value in seconds. EPNS that gets the silver plate Brasso'd off, (same for nickel and even chrome of course) even the Mona Lisa famously is missing eyebrows purely because they got 'cleaned' off over hundreds of years by well-meaning owners. (though I suspect in that case, it hasn't hurt the painting's value a Folland Gnat's wings  ::))

Obviously if it's an engine part that's plain filthy then fair dos, but certain instrumentation, delicate stuff etc might suffer inadvertently. Just hoping you get a good price on it mate :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 June 2018, 20:01:07 »

Offer some on here, I fancy something for the man cave  :y ;D

Have you a better idea of what your after  what your lovely lady would let you bring home ?   ;D

Are you looking for items that go on walls OR shelfs ?

Something for the wall ideally, plenty of wall space to fill in the  :ycave

Might have a couple of bits for you   ;)
I'll give then a wipe and get back to you over the next few days  :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 June 2018, 20:38:48 »

As someone who has dealt in antiques / collectables in a former life, be careful how, and how aggressively you clean these items.

I may well be preaching to the converted, but as I think most people are aware now thanks to years of Antiques Roadshow/Bargain Hunt/etc any collector likes stuff in original condition, and anything excessively 'restored' can knock pounds off the value in seconds. EPNS that gets the silver plate Brasso'd off, (same for nickel and even chrome of course) even the Mona Lisa famously is missing eyebrows purely because they got 'cleaned' off over hundreds of years by well-meaning owners. (though I suspect in that case, it hasn't hurt the painting's value a Folland Gnat's wings  ::))

Obviously if it's an engine part that's plain filthy then fair dos, but certain instrumentation, delicate stuff etc might suffer inadvertently. Just hoping you get a good price on it mate :y

Hey up James, how's it hanging  ;D

This is the propeller.
Its 80 inches long from tip to tip and is solid, carved wood. Not veneer  ;)
Looking at the markings on it, it has had a hub fitted and the leading edges of the blades have tell tail marks were protective tape has been applied in the past.
I believe this is a genuine prop  :-\

Are you in Cov or Cleggy this weekend mate ?

Sounds like I will be picking your brains on this if that's okay  :)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 June 2018, 20:44:26 »

Not really sure on your question but it reminded me of a diner that used to be near here called "Dakotas". The bar inside was made out of a section of C47 fuselage and the tail section was suspended in the adjacent lake as if it had crashed there - until the council jobsworths got their way. :(

There were a couple of Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasps on display in the restaurant too. I wonder what happened to them when it closed? Not sure I could have got one in the back of the Omega anyway. ;D

Basically i've got a car full of aviation bits and I want a better idea exactly what they are / what aircraft they are off so I can get the best price and sell on to make money  :y :D

This place had a replica of a pre WW1 monoplane which was about 30 foot long strung up from the roof  8)
Sadly a quick mental calculation told me it wouldn't fit in the back of my mk2 Astra estate and may have caused problems if I bungie cored it to the roof rack because i'd have had to drive past a police station to get it home  :( :D :D 

If you had have done that you might have been able to fly home  ;D

That old shed did fly   ;) ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 June 2018, 21:11:44 »

Hey up James, how's it hanging  ;D

This is the propeller.
Its 80 inches long from tip to tip and is solid, carved wood. Not veneer  ;)
Looking at the markings on it, it has had a hub fitted and the leading edges of the blades have tell tail marks were protective tape has been applied in the past.
I believe this is a genuine prop  :-\

Are you in Cov or Cleggy this weekend mate ?

Sounds like I will be picking your brains on this if that's okay  :)

That'd look nice on MarkDTM's wall. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2018, 21:30:41 »

Pick away mate  :y by no means an expert in anything, just try and know a little bit about everything, if that makes sense. (and what do they say?... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....  :D)

Yeah, back in Cov, was in Clee 'tuther week, hence why I offered to drop my last spare brake carrier off at my parents, should you have needed it, but glad you were sorted on that front.

Well, in theory I'd be looking for any stamps or markings of any kind, which I can't see in the pics, on this screen. Seen plenty of (what I'd determine) genuine props, they tend to have batch/serial/type/specification numbers; those I've seen tend to be made from lengths of wood glued together. Wouldn't necessarily say one solid lump definitely does - or doesn't - make it genuine. My Spideysenses make me think it logical that a genuine prop would be made from lots of bits together as you're getting the 'good/strongest' bit of the tree, many times over. Wood being a natural (and flawed, irregular strength) material, if you make one thing form one big piece you have lots of varying strength throughout that one piece, prone to failure. But that's not gospel, just my instinct, and  I'm about 60% on that, only.

I shall continue to ponder/research. (I want to find this was on the Wright Flyer, and it'#s worth £10mill for you mate  :D :y)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 18 June 2018, 08:58:17 »

I like the idea of switch panels.. you should put photos of everything up here - I mean, you know this place is filled with giant nerds, which is basically your target market.. ;) ;D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 June 2018, 17:39:39 »

I like the idea of switch panels.. you should put photos of everything up here - I mean, you know this place is filled with giant nerds, which is basically your target market.. ;) ;D

Will do mate when I get a chance  ::)
I've had sweet F all work for a few weeks but this morning, I got the chance all the electrics for a shop conversion in the town centre  ;)
Looking at it tomorrow so all other stuff on hold until I get chance  :(
Sorry if anybody's waiting but the work must come first  :-* :)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 June 2018, 22:33:22 »

The thrust  & centrifugal forces that act on a wooden prop are huge, that`s why they are made of laminated hard woods. The big give away on this one is the central boss hasn`t been bored right the way thru to accept the prop shaft.
The witness marks on the "rear" of the boss suggest it`s  been mounted on oversize base plate & then moved & then bolted down again off centre   ???

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 19 June 2018, 09:44:29 »

I've had sweet F all work for a few weeks but this morning, I got the chance all the electrics for a shop conversion in the town centre  ;)

Work is good, t_g! :y

You could always supplement your income by becoming a YouTube star, like this spark in London: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqvLXSxQBR0 (no idea how much he actually makes from YouTube, probably not a huge amount with only 41,000 subscribers)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.