Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange one  (Read 1333 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Strange one
« on: 17 June 2018, 21:17:57 »

The Omega has been running fine on the commute for the last couple of weeks,but yesterday I stopped at a set of traffic lights and after a few seconds standing thought I detected a slight roughness/very light vibration to its running,i'd just put this down to imagination/stupidly large bore exhaust of the car immediately ahead when the Omega just cut out.It started and died a couple of times,then I managed to keep it running but it cut out a further 3 times in less than quarter of a mile where I parked it in the lock up.Been down there today to put radiator on the V70,so I had the omega running to see what would happen-if anything-but once again it sat there in the garage[door was open and I was outside anyway]ticking over as sweet as you like.So I'm at a loss as to what was going on yesterday :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Strange one
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2018, 21:55:16 »

My simple, and probably wrong, thoughts are .....

Get hold of a very genuine crank sensor and keep it handy !!

Crank sensors get "kranky" when hot .. so possibly yours is on its way out and the heat of sitting at the lights was enough, idling today it never got hot enough to cause a problem ???

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2018, 22:10:20 »

This ^   :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2018, 06:14:03 »

A failing MAF can also cause those symptoms.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2018, 07:43:17 »

Rather hoping not crank sensor.I put one on it about 3yrs ago[a genuine one from the local Vx dealers]and the car has been off road for about 2 of those years and used very seldom the rest of the time to the point where it's covered less than 100mls since it was put on.Car hadn't got fully up to temp[I'd only gone about two and a half miles]when it cut out where yesterday it was running long enough for fans to kick in and cool it down.MAF I know nothing of do failing ones give any other symptoms?Will use it again today and hope for the best to see how it goes-or doesn't go as the case may be!

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2018, 08:36:25 »

Do a pedal test , see if there's stored codes , or a code reader if you have one ,saves guessing  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2018, 11:13:05 »

Do a pedal test , see if there's stored codes , or a code reader if you have one ,saves guessing  :y

Neither the crank or MAF sensors return fault codes. Live data is the best way of being sure, although there are workarounds.

jefflem

• Netherlands
    • Omega Z22XE Elegance '01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2018, 11:48:54 »

That's quite annoying indeed. I had it a few times with my 2.2 and seemed to be caused by low quality petrol from one particular petrol station as a friend of mine had the exact same thing right after filling up the tank. It didn't cause any fault codes so I emptied the tank, refueled and installed a new filter immediately afterwards.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2018, 19:01:39 »

Well it's run fine today,but will hold off on figuring it was a one off.I think for mine it would be the paperclip test as opposed to the pedal trick,but I do take your point.Also I remembered today that a friendly bodyshop I know of has a code reader of some sort,so I'll speak to them and see if they'll take a quick look this Saturday[I imagine it'll be some kind of generic reader albeit for professional use but whether it'll do live data I don't know]Thanks for the input people :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.