Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SKY RF to HDMI  (Read 1851 times)

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
SKY RF to HDMI
« on: 25 June 2018, 09:18:01 »

Hopefully the OOF brain can help with a problem I need to fix.

I need to convert the RF (via coax) signal from the back of a Sky box into HDMI to provide the input for a projector.

So the cabling is. RF output from Sky box ---> Coax Cable ---> [????] ----> HDMI Cable ---> Projector.

Is this something that can be cheaply achieved?

thanks
Merv

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: SKY RF to HDMI
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2018, 09:19:41 »

You can buy composite (plus audio) to HDMI adaptors, RF toHDMI is much harder (would need to convert to composite first as  a tuner is needed)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2018, 10:51:34 »

Surely this depends on what you're trying to achieve....

If you're trying to watch something different on the projector to what's shown on the TV then you will need a second tuner. I don't think you can split a sky dish signal, but you can get LNBs with multiple connectors, so in that scenario you would run anouther cable from the LNB to a second tuner (freesat box or sky box probably) and then take the output from that. If the Coax is coming from the TV areial then into the sky box, I would just plug the coax into a freeview box with an HDMI output then plug that into the projector.

If you just want to use the projector to show the same  as the TV but in another room or only use it at certain times then I would just split the HDMI and then if necessary use one of those sky dongles that lets you change the channel on the box from a different room ("Magic Eye" maybe??) In fact you may not have to split at all as I think some TVs have an HDMI out on the back as well as an in.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2018, 10:53:35 by jimmy944 »

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2018, 10:57:07 »

Yes, HDMI splitter would have been the best option, but not what is in place.  I don't want to start again, as all the cables etc have been run.

I would think my best option is to get a cheap freeview box and find the single channel the sky box is outputting and then connect the projector to the freeview box with an hdmi cable.  Sound like that should work?

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2018, 11:11:46 »

I don't think that will work - Freeview is digital, the Sky RF output will be "analogue" TV - you'd need an old style analogue TV tuner with HDMI output, and then watch the resulting picture-soup (standard definition).

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2018, 11:26:30 »

In that case, to maintain quality, (as Aaron points out, an SD input into an HD projector will look total bobbins and won't be worth doing IMO) would you consider a solution like chromecast, or possibly wireless HDMI transmitter/receivers?

The former is the cheaper solution, but less seamless, the latter will be over £100 for decent kit.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2018, 12:11:40 »

Converting RF out into some sort of Signal that can then be pushed into an HDMI format is going to be painful, let alone as said a step backwards in Quality, Real solution would be to re think it, presumably its too late to run an HDMI Cable into the Installation, if so I would be looking at doing something over Cat 5 or 6 cable and get some HDMI adapters each end (HDMI Over CAT5 Extenders). Other option depending on the quality and Type of the Coax and how it been installed you could also look at coupling the Coax with some HDMI Extenders (HDMI Over Coax).

Other than that, you could push the signal over a Wireless Network, Wireless End to End or as said Cast it, ie a Roku Box or similar dedicated at the Projector end.

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2018, 09:15:09 »

The general consensus is correct - RF to HDMI one big pain in the arse!

All the options investigated were silly money - so a bloody great thick long HDMI cable is now in place  ;D

Thanks for all the suggestions.  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2018, 10:34:01 »

Another option is Sky Q mini box, they can be driven from WiFi/Network. They don't need dish input feeds, just need power/network and could be positioned with the project?

Whole house needs to be on Q setup though, you can't mix old boxes with Q's.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2018, 10:53:09 »

Sorry to hi-jack Allenm's thread, but whats the cost on the Q boxes tunnie? I've stuck with BT so far because of the impending (hopefully) house move, but once that's come off, and I hopefully have some time to watch the damn thing, I think Sky will be on the cards  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2018, 12:07:20 »

Sorry to hi-jack Allenm's thread, but whats the cost on the Q boxes tunnie? I've stuck with BT so far because of the impending (hopefully) house move, but once that's come off, and I hopefully have some time to watch the damn thing, I think Sky will be on the cards  :y

Depends, if you are classed as a new customer when you come to do installs I can usually get you free installs and 50% off for 18/m.

Cost of the mini boxes varies, depends what you can negotiate I think.

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2018, 12:44:56 »

How many mini boxes /multi room can you have now.. it was only 1 q box 1 mini.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.