Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: At last I have Windows 7 on a PC!  (Read 3739 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: At last I have Windows 7 on a PC!
« Reply #15 on: 22 July 2018, 14:33:47 »

I agree with TB on some points
I see no valve in partitioning the c drive to create a c and d
if the drive fails, c and d fails
I do however, appreciate you are on a strict budget and possibly lack the knowledge or budget to fit an SSD.

Yes, you missed the free   upgrade to win 10
if you have decent broadband , windows 10 can be downloaded from microsoft .
you will then just need an activation code (which can be purchased cheap enough )

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 July 2018, 15:00:10 »

I always partition C and D.

C gets 32GB-FAT32 and I install DOS7 first on that. Windows when goes on D. All programs get installed on D, and all my work/files go on C. For multi-boot I have all my work on C, and then multiple windows installations (Win2K-32, Win7-32, Win7-64, Win10-64), all in their own separate D partitions.

If the disk goes tango uniform and refuses to boot, then there are loads of DOS based disk recovery tools that allow me to rescue my work off C. IME it's rare for the disk hardware to fail - only had 2 fail like that in 30 years.  What normally happens is the windows hive or security data gets damaged/corrupted and then the wretched thing won't boot. I recon it's because the sectors containing the critical windows data get hammered over and over again and eventually wear out. If/when that happens, it's relatively easy to just clone the C partition containing my data onto a new disk and start again without losing anything. I've got a box of about 30 hard disks from over the years with faulty windows sectors.

SSD's worry me. They won't wear out mechanically in the same way as a magnetic platter hard disk. When they do go, they'll probably take all your data with them regardless of how they're partitioned.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 July 2018, 15:14:58 »

I always partition C and D.

C gets 32GB-FAT32 and I install DOS7 first on that. Windows when goes on D. All programs get installed on D, and all my work/files go on C. For multi-boot I have all my work on C, and then multiple windows installations (Win2K-32, Win7-32, Win7-64, Win10-64), all in their own separate D partitions.

I'm sure with Ron's wealth of knowledge and experience of all things computer , he will have all that done in a few clicks of his mouse  :P

or,
he could  upgrade to win 10 ,back up his data on DVD ,flash drive or get an enclosure to re-use the drive from his d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶  xp machhine  :-\

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 July 2018, 16:12:04 »

Thanks, I will go searching. I do so hate the term "dongle"; it must be a yank term - the septics are SO babyish!
Is there a proper technical term, like Firmware key?

Ron.
Close Ron, the original term Dongles were a device that you attached to one of the Com Ports as a Security Key to a Specific Software, ie the Software wouldn't run or be limited without the Dongle in order to stop Copyright Infringement,

As for putting you Programs on the D drive Partition, not really worth doing if youve got 500gb to play with, but if you want to do that you will need to to set it up before hand and tell the installer where to install to each time, personally I wouldnt bother but you could store additional Data on the D Drive.

As for Partitions, Im a great fan of them, yea, there all on the same hard Drive end of the day, but makes it so much easier for doing Back Ups, System Image, Partition Copies, System Recovery and Disk Cloning or Disk Upgrades. Example on my Lappy, Ive got 2Tb Hard Drive, but my main C Drive (Windows System) is only around 100gb, like LC0112G says in his post, just before my C Drive Ive got a few Gb hidden away for Boot Utilizes if and when required, all my Data, Docs, Downloads, Pics, Images etc are set to be stored on D Drive, about 400gb, My E Drive (about 1TB), I use for Vidoes and Music, which leaves me 500gb  F Drive for C Images Partition Copies and Restore Back Ups, yes I know its on the same Drive but they get backed elsewhere or copied elsewhere, point being at any point if I get a sudden Bad Windows problem, I can recover My C drive System Image within mins whilst away from My other Back Up solutions without having to worry about my other Personal Data.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2018, 16:22:58 by zirk »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 July 2018, 17:14:20 »

You have summed me up quite well, Dave!
Zirk, back when I was in gainful employment, in College, I used a printed circuit designing programme which had to have this Key plugged into its rear somewhere before it could even be opened. Some silly colleagues insisted on calling the thing a dongle.
Now, as I am likely to have a lot of photographic images to store and/or manipulate, would the D partition be a suitable place to keep them?

Ron.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 July 2018, 17:28:42 »

You have summed me up quite well, Dave!
Zirk, back when I was in gainful employment, in College, I used a printed circuit designing programme which had to have this Key plugged into its rear somewhere before it could even be opened. Some silly colleagues insisted on calling the thing a dongle.
Now, as I am likely to have a lot of photographic images to store and/or manipulate, would the D partition be a suitable place to keep them?

Ron.
just back up files like you always have Ron  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 July 2018, 17:34:10 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 July 2018, 11:30:42 »

I'm sure Ron also got a paper tape splicing, manual punching repair kit with the paper tape reader at the car boot sale for those manual error detection and correction running repairs. ::) ;D :P
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 23 July 2018, 11:42:46 »

One day you will approve of whatever I have, TB!  :(

TB approves of nothing! Nothing, I tell you! ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 July 2018, 11:43:40 »

Thanks for all your helpful comments, gents - you really are showing your age with those antique references to equipment from my grandad's era!  :P :P :P

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 July 2018, 19:27:36 »

One day you will approve of whatever I have, TB!  :(

TB approves of nothing! Nothing, I tell you! ;D
I base my approvals (and disapprovals) base on the amount of shite that gets dumped round my place with post-its on reading "can you look at this please?"

I approve of most things I've owned for any period...  ...as my possesions I disapprove of tend to end up in many, many pieces ::)
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 July 2018, 20:13:50 »

And then you destroy my confidence in and appreciation of my new acquision!  :'(

Ron.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 July 2018, 20:16:56 »

And then you destroy my confidence in and appreciation of my new acquision!  :'(

Ron.
have you windows 10'd it Ron ?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 July 2018, 21:29:32 »

No Dave, I can't even get online with it until my hardware key arrives from Ebay!
Then I'll ask Mr. Google if I can still get a free upgrade.....

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 July 2018, 13:07:48 »

No Dave, I can't even get online with it until my hardware key arrives from Ebay!
Then I'll ask Mr. Google if I can still get a free upgrade.....

Ron.
No Free Upgrades anymore, but if you hunt carefully you should be able to get a proper Win10 licence for around 10 to 15 quid.

Personally 10 is the way to go now, at this stage in the game no point in learning win7 now might as well jump straight in with 10.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.