Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Boiler being replaced.  (Read 8365 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Boiler being replaced.
« Reply #15 on: 09 August 2018, 11:17:07 »

It isn't your problem to stress over ;)

True it has a bearing, but only in so far as it's a modicum of inconvenience.

If the plumber hasn't shown by 1, then a polite, calm call to the landlord would be in order.

In the meantime, be grateful for not having the stress of being a landlord ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 August 2018, 11:31:34 »

If the plumber hasn't shown by 1, then a polite, calm call to the landlord would be in order.

Hi DG,just phoned the property management company.They said they made a mistake and he is not coming till tomorrow :(,can he fit a boiler in one day as he does not work sat or sun. :-\ Dean.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 August 2018, 12:08:59 »

What is the make and model of the boiler currently fitted ? fault code ?
seems odd that if it was just shutting down due to overheat stat,  it wasn't repaired and a new boiler scheduled at a more convenient time(should one be needed )
sounds like the worst case it would be DHW heat exchanger clogged
sounds like the plumber works directly for the property management company and the PMC and plumber will be getting rich at the expense and inconvenience of the landlord and tenant
if the boiler is really old, hard to get parts for, it should have been advised many baths and cooked dinners ago

but no point in upsetting the landlord (who sounds like he's doing his best)
as said, flannel wash and alternative food for a couple of days , a new boiler may save you money long-term (if the old "condemned" one is so antiquated )

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 August 2018, 12:32:12 »

Hi DG,just phoned the property management company.They said they made a mistake and he is not coming till tomorrow :(,can he fit a boiler in one day as he does not work sat or sun. :-\ Dean.
Don't see why not... Especially if like for like ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 August 2018, 13:09:56 »

Ive never known a boiler installation take more than a day, even if a different model, other than going from combi to standard or vice versa.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 August 2018, 15:06:40 »

What is the make and model of the boiler currently fitted ? fault code ?
seems odd that if it was just shutting down due to overheat stat,  it wasn't repaired and a new boiler scheduled at a more convenient time(should one be needed )
sounds like the worst case it would be DHW heat exchanger clogged
sounds like the plumber works directly for the property management company and the PMC and plumber will be getting rich at the expense and inconvenience of the landlord and tenant
if the boiler is really old, hard to get parts for, it should have been advised many baths and cooked dinners ago

but no point in upsetting the landlord (who sounds like he's doing his best)
as said, flannel wash and alternative food for a couple of days , a new boiler may save you money long-term (if the old "condemned" one is so antiquated )
Hi DTB,the boiler is a RIVA COMPACT HE M96.24SM/C2(it also has BIASI on the manual).It looks like there are 2 faults going by the manual 1 safety thermostat lock out,2faulty air pressure switch.(i am only going by what the flashing lights on it indicate in the manual)Dean.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2018, 15:18:37 by moggy »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 August 2018, 15:36:42 »

Sounds like the Landlord is acting responsibly and trying to get the boiler sorted (replaced) ASAP, so I too think its unfair to be asking for money (and definitely don't withhold rent, that will not end well) for basically a few days inconvenience.

Washing and washing up is possible, and even if the gas is off for a whole day - unlikely - there are options based around unheated food and/or microwaves...
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 August 2018, 15:48:24 »

B rated condensing combi ,pretty much all parts (including casing panels ,which is rare) available
the air switch would cause a lock out anyway for safety
sounds like the landlord is doing his best to resolve the problem as fast as he can
(based on advice given by the PMC and plumber)

so pot noddle it is then  :P

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 August 2018, 15:51:10 »

From what I've been told in the past, BIASI boilers are cheap to buy, but the parts are very expensive which may be why your landlord has decided to replace rather than fix.  ;)

B&Q own brand I think maybe?  ???  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 August 2018, 16:02:19 »

From what I've been told in the past, BIASI boilers are cheap to buy, but the parts are very expensive which may be why your landlord has decided to replace rather than fix.  ;)

sold in many places, crap compared to Bosch, Worcester bosch, Vaillant of the era
I'm not impressed with any of the new offerings

parts wise , I have used a company for many years called the heat exchange which are great ,should you ever need boiler parts  :y

they list all the parts for that boiler at reasonable prices

https://www.theheatxchange.co.uk/appliance/biasi/riva-compact-he-m96-24sm-c2/1665

but it sounds like the PMC and plumber needed their holiday funds topped up  ;D

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 August 2018, 17:36:29 »

sold in many places, crap compared to Bosch, Worcester bosch, Vaillant of the era

parts wise , I have used a company for many years called the heat exchange which are great ,should you ever need boiler parts  :y

https://www.theheatxchange.co.uk/appliance/biasi/riva-compact-he-m96-24sm-c2/1665

Dave,just out of curiosity.What parts would you need to fix it and how much,compared to buying a new one.When the plumber called to have a look at it,the wife recalls he said about £1100 for a new one Dean.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 August 2018, 18:09:23 »

I can't say what parts are needed, fault codes are just an indication, the actual failed part could be many things, possibly flue fan.
some plumbers are lazy and are not prepared to diagnose a fault, some don't have a clue how to diagnose.a fault and just replace parts willy-nilly, or the whole boiler
combi boilers have many electrical safety systems, making them very safe. but complex. more of a job for an electrical engineer or fully trained technician.

A good plumber/technician  would probably have diagnosed the fault ordered the part, a second visit to fit and test, probably £300
a new boiler is like buying a new car, some can be had with flue kit for around 500 .others would be treble that.

fitting (including commissioning, testing, certification, flushing, etc etc )maybe 500 quid
but in areas like London, with parking, congestion charge etc, prices vastly increase

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2018, 19:16:52 »

Dave,just out of curiosity.What parts would you need to fix it and how much,compared to buying a new one.When the plumber called to have a look at it,the wife recalls he said about £1100 for a new one Dean.
The cost of parts/new boiler are irrelevant...

BECAUSE YOU AREN'T PAYING FOR IT.

Do yourselves a favour, pop the kettle on, have a nice cuppa and do something positive.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 August 2018, 19:22:47 »

I can't say what parts are needed, fault codes are just an indication, the actual failed part could be many things, possibly flue fan.
some plumbers are lazy and are not prepared to diagnose a fault, some don't have a clue how to diagnose.a fault and just replace parts willy-nilly, or the whole boiler
combi boilers have many electrical safety systems, making them very safe. but complex. more of a job for an electrical engineer or fully trained technician.

A good plumber/technician  would probably have diagnosed the fault ordered the part, a second visit to fit and test, probably £300
a new boiler is like buying a new car, some can be had with flue kit for around 500 .others would be treble that.

fitting (including commissioning, testing, certification, flushing, etc etc )maybe 500 quid
but in areas like London, with parking, congestion charge etc, prices vastly increase
Dave found one on plumb base £505 +£45 flue kit,is fitting etc etc really £500 :o.How much do plumbers charge per hour.Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 August 2018, 19:30:38 »

The cost of parts/new boiler are irrelevant...

BECAUSE YOU AREN'T PAYING FOR IT.

Do yourselves a favour, pop the kettle on, have a nice cuppa and do something positive.
You are right DG,but i do actually know the LL personally. And would hate to think the plumber and the PMC are ripping him off,telling him the boiler is £1100 on its own.Dean.(Got cuppa going to watch a film) :) :y Dean.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.