Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon Prime prog download Q  (Read 1961 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Amazon Prime prog download Q
« on: 14 October 2018, 19:59:53 »

Anyone know if Amazon Prime customers can download programme content to watch later?

Devices are ipad on latest Ios or laptop Win10.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

Re: Amazon Prime prog download Q
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2018, 20:13:31 »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2018, 20:19:36 »

This is pretty much the same across all such services. If the OS os a mobile one then typically downloads are allowed, if a desktop/laptop OS then it's a no.

Should you want to watch downloaded content on a big screen. I think you can use Chromecast stick to beam it from your mobile device to any screen with an HDMI. As yet I've not tested this but I intend to once I'm in the burger van full time.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2018, 20:22:10 »

Chromecast works for Netflix and YouTube... no reason why Amazon would be any different  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2018, 20:30:43 »

Thanks.

Jimmy you have prempted my next question.

Watching stuff on an ipad or a laptop isnt great but putting onto a tv is.

At the moment we have loads of issues with this. The one platform that works really well is iplayer onto an ipad and then via the £50 lightning connector to an hdmi cable . Ditto laptop via hdmi lead.

Channel 4 downloads to ipad but doesnt work back to a tv . I have tried an Apple tv ( not the latest) works with iplayer only.

Driven to this through limited internet but unlimited in night and thankfully a uk Ip address so no vpn dns milarkey.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2018, 20:33:36 »

Chromecast...

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2018, 20:35:43 »

Chromecast works for Netflix and YouTube... no reason why Amazon would be any different  :y

Isnt Chromecast like Amazon firestick? Just a device for streaming content via an unlimited internet connection ? I cant see where the download and stored for play later features?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2018, 20:41:20 »

It is a broadcast device... The phone/tablet is the medium of storage and download

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2018, 20:44:11 »

OK  :y

Edit added

Just had a look at the spec of the chromecast Ultra.

Does anyone download  all4 or itv hub progs to an ipad and then playback through a cable?
« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 20:54:27 by Varche »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2018, 22:02:20 »

All of that said, I think the Apple iOS allows developers to block streaming of downloaded content Vs internet content.

The advantage of android is that you can just screen mirror and show whatevers on your device.

You may find a cheap android tablet is a good investment in this regard, but by all means give it a whirl with what you have.

Isnt Chromecast like Amazon firestick? Just a device for streaming content via an unlimited internet connection ? I cant see where the download and stored for play later features?

Yes, but, given Chromecast is made by Google, it allows more freedom with Android devices than the fire stick does. Egg. Screen mirroring as above.

Neither firestick or Chromecast have any ability to download, store and then playback content.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2018, 22:49:38 »

Just to correct a few things here, Chromecast will typically get its own stream and not use a mobile one. Nothing is beamed from mobile to a Chromecast, typically all that is sent is a content ID. The Chromecast itself will source a stream, usually a “Smooth” variant.

Mobile at least for Sky, uses HLS for streams.

Often content providers restrict mirroring or air play, that’s what we suffer from.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 22:52:18 by tunnie »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2018, 23:53:48 »

Oh. So in simple terms the mobile device just acts like a hand held remote control and sets the Chromecast streaming and gobbling up bandwidth.

It is a shame content providers restrict mirroring or air play. I think the latter is brilliant. For one it does away with cables.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2018, 02:44:06 »

Android TV Box or some simple Roku's Boxes streamed at 720p/1080p using Android App should do it.

The Free 'All Connect' is a good little Android App Streamer  ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2018, 07:33:50 »

Oh. So in simple terms the mobile device just acts like a hand held remote control and sets the Chromecast streaming and gobbling up bandwidth.

Yes, this is setup. Mobile is just a remote basically, so it’s independent of the streaming.

Only way to overcome this is to cast your entire mobile “desktop” to the Chromecast, but this is not suitable for high frame rates. Eg any TV content.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 October 2018, 09:00:17 »

Android TV Box or some simple Roku's Boxes streamed at 720p/1080p using Android App should do it.

Streamng is no good for me as internet is limited during day hence why I download during unlimited night period and watch later.. it is the download ability and then crucially being able to transmit to a tv.

Last night I downloaded an all4 program to ipad. Plays fine on ipad but only sound on TV this morning. Most frustrating.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 October 2018, 14:22:01 »

How about a smart TV and DDR :-\

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2018, 15:40:58 »

Streamng is no good for me as internet is limited during day hence why I download during unlimited night period and watch later.. it is the download ability and then crucially being able to transmit to a tv.

Last night I downloaded an all4 program to ipad. Plays fine on ipad but only sound on TV this morning. Most frustrating.
Doesnt the Firestick and or Fire Tablet let you download certain Films or Shows from Amazon, having said that guessing its only Free Material or Stuff that you Own or Bought from Prime?

Other way is is as DG suggests, Smart Box or TV then Record it, but guessing any Protected stuff that gets piped through an HDMI Cable will be restricted, so back to the old fashion way if your Smart Box has RGB or Composite Out (ie early Roku's) then you should be able to record that but not in HD.

Other than that then your looking a Video Screen Grabber, which will, depending on type, Grab and Save the Material whilst its being Streamed on a Laptop or what ever, Note. you dont necessarily have to stream the whole content with these, just start streaming then pause it the Lappy, the content will still get Grabbed and Saved without worrying about Streaming Bandwidth. but your have to do your own Homework as were nearly touching a dodgy subject in terms of potential Copyright Software.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2018, 15:42:57 by iZirk »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2018, 16:05:01 »

Not using crapple products would probably help no end ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 October 2018, 16:09:31 »

Doesnt the Firestick and or Fire Tablet let you download certain Films or Shows from Amazon, having said that guessing its only Free Material or Stuff that you Own or Bought from Prime?

Other way is is as DG suggests, Smart Box or TV then Record it, but guessing any Protected stuff that gets piped through an HDMI Cable will be restricted, so back to the old fashion way if your Smart Box has RGB or Composite Out (ie early Roku's) then you should be able to record that but not in HD.

Other than that then your looking a Video Screen Grabber, which will, depending on type, Grab and Save the Material whilst its being Streamed on a Laptop or what ever, Note. you dont necessarily have to stream the whole content with these, just start streaming then pause it the Lappy, the content will still get Grabbed and Saved without worrying about Streaming Bandwidth. but your have to do your own Homework as were nearly touching a dodgy subject in terms of potential Copyright Software.

Tablet would let you download, fire stick won’t.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.