Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Welder  (Read 4178 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Which Welder
« Reply #30 on: 15 July 2009, 21:08:03 »

OK, looks like I should get a traditional gas one.

Next step, which make/model do people thing I should get?
Grumpy old man

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 July 2009, 21:11:28 »

OK, looks like I should get a traditional gas one.

Next step, which make/model do people thing I should get?
I know clarke and sip are supposed to be good.  :-/
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 July 2009, 21:26:55 »

SIP are shite

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 July 2009, 21:56:47 »

The Clarkes are the best all round hobby Migs, the SIP's have vey poor wire feeds.

Remember that 135-140A is the most you can run off a domestic 13A socket.

A 135TE is a nice unit (and you have used one before!)

I've got the clark 151te and that runs fine with a 13amp fuse and pluged in to a normal socket  :-/(it lasted ok to weld two sills on a fiesta with no probs).
Found it easy to use no problems with it in the 2 years i've had it so id recomend it :y.
lee
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss

Pedro

« Reply #34 on: 15 July 2009, 23:23:29 »

Agree - SIP is crap. Not only por wire feeds, but built down to a price and my old one kept cutting out at only 6 months old - not due to overheating, either!
Clarkes are good all-rounders - I think the Snap Off ones are made by Clark?

I would say a better welder would be fan-cooled aswell. ;)
Hadn't taken into consideration the domestic electric supply when I said about 200A, but worked for me!

I have used gasless to try it on a Cav Mk2 sill, done outside in a mid breeze, and worked pretty well, but I prefer gas as the weld is cleaner and easier to dress.
Been weldin

Welung666

« Reply #35 on: 16 July 2009, 05:52:44 »

SIP are shite

Completely agree, the wire feeds jam up faster than my auto darkening helmet! Mines a Clarke 150 turbo, never had a problem with it.

Debs.

« Reply #36 on: 16 July 2009, 07:11:52 »

SIP are shite

Brilliantly succinct! ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 July 2009, 10:02:53 »

I would add to the above - check what your local colleges offer in terms of evening classes.

I booked into a 10 week "Introduction to welding" evening course at Basingstoke. Cost 70 odd quid for 10 weeks, two hours a week.

The course was 100% practical once we'd fast-forwarded through the obligatory H&S video. They had a workshop set up with MIG, TIG, Arc welders, Oxy Acetylene, spot welders, gas cutting torches - you name it.

10 of us on the course and all welding 100% of the time. No waiting for kit to become available, just choose your weapon and have a go! Instructor floated around giving tuition and advice where required but essentially letting us play.

I got through many times more than 70 quid's worth of consumables and sheet metal, I can tell you.  ::)

I was, admittedly, probably lucky in that the instructor was great and the course was underpriced but, unless you have a project in mind, you soon get bored with MIG welding bits of scrap in your garage and wondering if you're on the right track.

It was also a great opportunity to try all types of welding so you have an idea of the pros and cons of each.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

neilr

• Intermediate Member
  • Barnet, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 July 2009, 14:20:09 »

I have a gasless type from machine mart it serves its purpose as i only use it occasionally. i have not had any issues as long as the surfaces are clean. mine is not the neatest of welds but it has been o k for mot standards and putting exhausts back together(off car).i have also managed repair panels on fiesta wheel arches.sometimes it takes awhile to dress the area after but the angle grinder comes in useful. hope this helps. :o

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16 July 2009, 15:10:29 »

Jaime, I bought this welder about 3-4 years ago and it has done every job I have thrown at it brilliantly. I have use it off an electric extension at home and never had a missed beat.
 :y
 http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/150te-turbo-mig-welder/path/diy-mig-welders
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 July 2009, 16:06:54 »

Jaime, I bought this welder about 3-4 years ago and it has done every job I have thrown at it brilliantly. I have use it off an electric extension at home and never had a missed beat.
 :y
 http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/150te-turbo-mig-welder/path/diy-mig-welders
Does it come with a toastie loaf for welding MX5s?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16 July 2009, 19:54:58 »

SIP are shite

Completely agree, the wire feeds jam up faster than my auto darkening helmet! Mines a Clarke 150 turbo, never had a problem with it.
You should sell it me then lee. ;D :P

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16 July 2009, 20:12:39 »

Gas Mig is the way to go mate!

Clarke are fairly good for the price, but avoid the cheap units, as they are.... well... cheap!  ;D

Cant think what model my mates is, I know on full power it requires more than 13amps (seem to think about 15-16ish), but he never uses it on full power anyway. Its a fantastic welder, and built fairly solidly too.

Think it was just over 300 quid, but that was over 4 years ago now, so prices may have changed a bit. :y
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16 July 2009, 20:16:36 »

Just had a quick look, my mates is very very much like this one: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/mig160tm-welder/path/automotiveindustrial-mig-welders

Thats a new model though, so guess its the one that replaced my mates older model maybe?
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 July 2009, 11:14:22 »

I would add to the above - check what your local colleges offer in terms of evening classes.

I booked into a 10 week "Introduction to welding" evening course at Basingstoke. Cost 70 odd quid for 10 weeks, two hours a week.

The course was 100% practical once we'd fast-forwarded through the obligatory H&S video. They had a workshop set up with MIG, TIG, Arc welders, Oxy Acetylene, spot welders, gas cutting torches - you name it.

10 of us on the course and all welding 100% of the time. No waiting for kit to become available, just choose your weapon and have a go! Instructor floated around giving tuition and advice where required but essentially letting us play.

I got through many times more than 70 quid's worth of consumables and sheet metal, I can tell you.  ::)

I was, admittedly, probably lucky in that the instructor was great and the course was underpriced but, unless you have a project in mind, you soon get bored with MIG welding bits of scrap in your garage and wondering if you're on the right track.

It was also a great opportunity to try all types of welding so you have an idea of the pros and cons of each.

Kevin
Mig welding is not really rocket science anyway,just basically down to a steady hand,thats what i find anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.