Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Welder  (Read 4174 times)

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
Re: Which Welder
« Reply #45 on: 17 July 2009, 13:42:13 »

I would add to the above - check what your local colleges offer in terms of evening classes.

I booked into a 10 week "Introduction to welding" evening course at Basingstoke. Cost 70 odd quid for 10 weeks, two hours a week.

The course was 100% practical once we'd fast-forwarded through the obligatory H&S video. They had a workshop set up with MIG, TIG, Arc welders, Oxy Acetylene, spot welders, gas cutting torches - you name it.

10 of us on the course and all welding 100% of the time. No waiting for kit to become available, just choose your weapon and have a go! Instructor floated around giving tuition and advice where required but essentially letting us play.

I got through many times more than 70 quid's worth of consumables and sheet metal, I can tell you.  ::)

I was, admittedly, probably lucky in that the instructor was great and the course was underpriced but, unless you have a project in mind, you soon get bored with MIG welding bits of scrap in your garage and wondering if you're on the right track.

It was also a great opportunity to try all types of welding so you have an idea of the pros and cons of each.

Kevin

Kevin - where exactly was this?   Sounds tempting to keep me occupied on the dark nights..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17 July 2009, 15:41:56 »

I would add to the above - check what your local colleges offer in terms of evening classes.

I booked into a 10 week "Introduction to welding" evening course at Basingstoke. Cost 70 odd quid for 10 weeks, two hours a week.

The course was 100% practical once we'd fast-forwarded through the obligatory H&S video. They had a workshop set up with MIG, TIG, Arc welders, Oxy Acetylene, spot welders, gas cutting torches - you name it.

10 of us on the course and all welding 100% of the time. No waiting for kit to become available, just choose your weapon and have a go! Instructor floated around giving tuition and advice where required but essentially letting us play.

I got through many times more than 70 quid's worth of consumables and sheet metal, I can tell you.  ::)

I was, admittedly, probably lucky in that the instructor was great and the course was underpriced but, unless you have a project in mind, you soon get bored with MIG welding bits of scrap in your garage and wondering if you're on the right track.

It was also a great opportunity to try all types of welding so you have an idea of the pros and cons of each.

Kevin

Kevin - where exactly was this?   Sounds tempting to keep me occupied on the dark nights..

It was a course offered by Basingstoke college http://www.bcot.ac.uk/everyone/courses/course.asp?course=547 but the course was actually hosted by BETA http://www.beta-training.org.uk/. I see it's advertised at £84 which is a bargain.  :y

BETA were talking about organising their own courses independantly so it might be worth checking both.

The guy who lead my course was very good and it was the Tuesday evening course. I will dig up his contact details when I get home so you can find out what courses he's doing next time. It took the Wednesday course quite a few weeks before they even touched a welder so clearly that's important. :-X

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 17 July 2009, 16:57:33 »

Thanks Kevin :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 18 queries.