Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Was it worth it?  (Read 2505 times)

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
Was it worth it?
« on: 21 August 2009, 21:53:27 »

My little Omega adventure started 1 month ago. I have an alloy wheel business buying and selling second hand alloys. I needed a large estate and had been looking for an Omega. I nearly bought a diesel auto with a faulty box but it sold before I had the chance. A car came up locally with an interesting history. It was a 1999 CDX Estate with leather and electric sunroof. It had been cherished until the engine siezed at 70mph on the motorway. The guy had loved the car and had bought a warranted 55k replacement engine. He had hired a mobile mechanic and on his driveway, they had removed the siezed engine and fitted a new cambelt kit to the new engine. They'd had some fun as they were following the markers on the belt and not on the pulleys and had done the proceedure twice. He'd also paid for new plugs, and filters. The engine that they had removed  had just had a new EGR and DIS module fitted but they hadn't been swapped over. The mechanic had then split with his wife and moved away, leaving the car on the drive. It had sat there for 12 months waiting for work to continue and his wife had had enough.

I visited the house and met with the family and everything seemed ok. We got talking and the guy said that he would be interested in a swap for two sets of rims (One set was a one off). He delivered the car and both engines to my house and work began.

The first job was to switch over all the good parts from the old engine which, with it being out was alot easier until... I dropped a torx head into cylinder 1 :(  However hard I tried, I couldn't get it with a magnetic pick up. Fortunately my next door neighbour works for Cosworth and borrowed an endoscope and we were able to remove the offending item. I checked the cambelt and it was fitted correctly, it just needed the tensioner readjusting. Whilst the engine was out, I inspected the rad which was ok and had a little look at the condensor which seemed to have something sticking out of it. I whipped it out to find a cigarette firmly wedged in the middle. When I removed it, all the fins around it promptly collapsed, so £120 saw a new one fitted in.

So, now it was time to fit. The gearbox was in place as were the cats. I have a 2 tonne hoist, so no probs lifting. However, would it go? Not a chance. My neighbour and I tried, my mate and I tried but it would not go, what ever way we tried. In the process, I managed to nick the front bumper >:(  When everyone had gone home, I tried a different tack. I removed the gearbox and cats and the engine went straight in. I started offering up the plenums, cooling system. I had no instructions as to where the wiring went but it was suprisingly logical.

Next came the arduous task of refitting the gearbox. It was so heavy and I was on my back on a rough tarmac driveway. It took me a day of trying before I worked out a system of fulcrums using a long bar and some tyres. I was able to lever the gearbox sufficiently enough to get a trolley jack under and lever it into place.

So, everything connected and fluids done, I turned the key and... nothing. Earth checked, battery checked and found to be knackered. Take two, with new battery fitted and ... nothing. A few posts on here and some help from Theboy and a faulty starter motor was the problem. I managed to drop the hoist on my leg and take a huge chunk out whilst doing it. Also, I had coolant pouring out the rear of the block. New starter motor in and still no starting, so I checked the spark. It was there and there was fuel. I turned the key and let it turn over until finally, she started. She was leaking coolant everywhere but she was running. I got under the car to try and find the leak but no joy, just getting spattered in the face. I'd had enough and took her up to the local garage. They couldn't find it either and reckoned the gearbox would need to come out. Just then the mechanic said that there was a bolt missing from the coolant pipe. I could barely feel it but he managed to do it. This is the only part I haven't done myself. We did a cursory for the MOT and it needs two new tyres (bought today), a replacement brake pipe and rear pads (also bought today).

I've now just got the brakes to sort and she's booked for MOT Monday.I am worried about emissions and the possibility of a wheel bearing (Although they have been recently done). I cleaned her for the first time and stood back and admired my handywork. So was it worth it?

Well, I now have a car with a 55k engine, new cambelt, EGR, DIS waterpump and just serviced. It has a history, leather sunroof, built in phone, dualzone climate. If it passes its MOT, it'll stand me at just £300. What on earth could I buy for that money? I just hope it passes its MOT. I am really looking forward to driving it! Looking at it after I just cleaned it, I can definitely say it has been worth it. 8-)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Was it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2009, 21:56:30 »

sounds like some good work done, hope it passes and you can start enjoying it  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2009, 22:00:24 »

fingers crossed for monday :y
Grumpy old man

waspy

« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2009, 22:02:58 »

That's dedication :y :y :y :y :y

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2009, 22:08:35 »

Good stuff mate, hope it passes the MOT  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

SJKOO01

« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2009, 22:14:30 »

Just read your long thread with interest.

Good for you with sticking with it, and seeing it till the end, know a lot of people that would of given up and sold it on I'm sure.  :y

Hope all goes well with the Mot, and you get some rewarding driving out of it.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2009, 22:16:10 »

Here's hoping for a good result on Monday. :y

« Last Edit: 21 August 2009, 22:16:56 by skruntie »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2009, 22:22:05 »

Thanks for all the comments. I just buy and sell wheels but should you need some refurbing, this guy is amazing: http://www.wheelgenie.co.uk/
Every set I have done by him just flies out.

william01

« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2009, 22:39:36 »

a job well done, good luck for the mot. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2009, 22:51:21 »

Ahh, the old "offering the engine up to the gearbox" trick. Been there, tried that, eh, TheBoy?

Well, I hope she serves you well. Deserves to. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2009, 22:59:54 »

Hope all goes well on Monday G :y :y

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2009, 00:22:44 »

Cheers guys, I am looking forward to being a true Omega owner. Rear brake pads tomorrow and adjusting the hand brake. I know I'm gonna have fun with the brake pipe.  ::)

Pete Elite

• Omega Knight
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2009, 00:45:02 »

I have just read your post and must admit just the thought of all that wore me out :o.

Well done and good luck with the MOT :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2009, 00:55:48 »

Thanks for all the comments. I just buy and sell wheels but should you need some refurbing, this guy is amazing: http://www.wheelgenie.co.uk/
Every set I have done by him just flies out.

There are some excellent results there in your gallery.
You seem to have quite a choice of colours available. Please tell me that nobody orders the in-your-face bright pinks etc?  :o
What kind of money do you charge?  All prices are POA  :-/
« Last Edit: 22 August 2009, 00:56:19 by Andy_B »

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2009, 01:17:03 »

Sorry if I mislead you, this isn't me. He does custom jobs for me. Give him a call and say that Lee recommended you. I promise that you won't be disappointed with his work. His name is Keith.

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2009, 09:59:22 »

Break a leg Monday buddy (oh, you nearly did) ;D ;D :y

Best of luck
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 August 2009, 22:19:33 »

Rear pads done today. They were on the metal. Checked the handbrake pads and they were good, so just going to lube up the cable and tighten the adjuster. Just the brake line to do now.  :y
« Last Edit: 22 August 2009, 22:30:37 by goonv6 »

goonv6

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2009, 15:38:38 »

Passed her MOT today. Three advisories: Rear tyre low, low effort on h/b cable and slight corrosion on centre brake pipe. I am chuffed to hell!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2009, 15:43:34 »

Well done, its nice when you get that little piece of paper after putting in so much hard work :y
« Last Edit: 24 August 2009, 15:43:43 by Elite_Pete »
Retired

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 August 2009, 17:17:59 »

Brilliant! Another miggy on the road, well done! :y :y
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 August 2009, 18:01:02 »

Ahh, the old "offering the engine up to the gearbox" trick. Been there, tried that, eh, TheBoy?

Well, I hope she serves you well. Deserves to. :y

Kevin
What was it, 6hrs just to get the engine to line up with box?

I know I was wet, cold, annoyed, angry, frustrated and all those other emotions, but I thoroughly enjoyed the day, and it proved productive in the end (even if I did take the engine back out a few weeks later :o)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2009, 18:02:06 »

Passed her MOT today. Three advisories: Rear tyre low, low effort on h/b cable and slight corrosion on centre brake pipe. I am chuffed to hell!
Follow Marks DTM's guide in Maintenence Guides for how to do the handbrake properly, its fairly effective when set right :y
Grumpy old man

theowletman

• Chester-le-street, Co. Durham
  • Mines a pint !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2009, 18:51:42 »

Just read your first post and I need a lie down and a can of Red Bull. Well done fella, hope all is well.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.