Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chips and Scratches  (Read 2434 times)

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
Chips and Scratches
« on: 23 July 2006, 23:08:54 »

Hi Guys

Wonderd if anyone could give me a little advice? I am on the look out for a new omega and viewed a couple that are only 3 years old, but with around 60 to 75k with dark colour paint.

I've been put off buying them as the paint work is in my opinion badly chipped or scratched, one has around 40 to 50 chips prob a lot more, didn't count, on the bonnet, wings, bumper, plus more on the drivers door and various scratches.

The chips show up on the dark paint because of white primer underneath. They range from small chips upto around 5mm diameter.

My question is does anyone have an idea what the cost would be to bring these cars up to the near origonal condition and what would be involved.

My current gold omega, prob' has as many chips in the paint, but you hardly notice without close inspection, but these newer cars would drive me mad everytime I walk up tp them. I'm not that fussy and not expecting perfection, but a 3 year old car should look pretty good at least from a couple of yards away.

Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2006, 00:12:02 by Boiler_Man »
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Chips and Scratches
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2006, 08:29:23 »

I know nothing about painting, so can't comment, but be aware all motorway cruisers like the Omega will have lots of stone chips around bonnet/bumper/wings.

Companies like Chipsaway will be able to give you a rough quote...
Grumpy old man

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2006, 08:43:48 »

Chipsaway lol I used to work for them years ago.

Man the prices were so high it was unbeliveable its a very easy prossesce to get rid of chips and scratches.

scratches are easy depending on how deep they are just use the old rubbing compound thats all we used to use its great for getting rid of those scratches under the door handles you will not know there has been any there.

Hmmmm Chip are alittle more complicated depending on the size and depth of the chip.ill have to try and remember this as if not done right you can make a mess of the exsisting chips and just make them bigger and worse.

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2006, 08:55:41 »

Not the cheapest, but I mentioned Chipsaway as they are national, and have a good reputation.

Any advice you can give here would be welcomed by everyone :)

I full blown How2 would be even better ;)
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2006, 09:23:01 »

Search on car detailing and go from there!

Basically you need to fill the chip with paint if required then laquer, then get it flat.

rob114

« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2006, 20:36:01 »

A full How to by someone skilled would be a great help!   ;D ;D ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2006, 20:41:14 »

I thin down a bit of touch up paint and apply numerous thin layers of paint (I use a cocktail stick for scratches and small chips). Then I dont touch it for a week or so to allow it to realy harden off. Then I flatten back to the surrounding level using 1500 wet and dry, wet. Then repeat with the lacquer....

RolandL

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • M/facelift 2.5 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2006, 20:44:26 »

I suppose it depends on whether you want to pay someone to do it or if you fancy doing it yourself.  Mer do a chip/scratch removal kit (available from Halfords c £25)  Has all the bits you will need, all you need to supply is the appropriate paint and some laquer, although you do get some laquer supplied in the kit.  The important part of the kit is the video that comes with it, tells/shows you exactly what to do.

I've used it on numerous occasions. As Martin says the basics are fill chip with paint, top with laquer and flatten.  If you take your time you will never know there was a chip there . [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
The faster you go the bigger the grin.  Trade card user.

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2006, 21:16:11 »

Thanks for all the advice. will defo look at these cars in a differant light, so to speak.

Could you tell me, if the chip is down to the metal, should you treat it before painting? and what with?

Also when you say flatten it down with wet and dry, is that before or after the laquer. If after will this not need further laquer for the shine and is the laquer in spray form? in which case how do you stop over spray? :-/

Thanks Again
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2006, 22:07:36 »

If chip is down to bare metal primer should be dropped into chip first !

All shite and polish etc should be evacuated from chip first before application of paint, other wise you will either get a reaction or it wont bond properly !

I wouldnt worry too much about laquer over spray as you can easily compound it out/down !
Laquers the easiest of all the paints /finishes to apply, and flows out very easily !

The thing to watch with laquer is dust and crap settling into it whilst its wet !

Not a bad idea to use a tacky cloth before laquering too !

mar892ree

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2006, 22:08:50 »

Dammm i forgot, theres a web based company called paints4u, they do little kits for stone chips etc etc , anything you want really, and they are excellent !

They also will put together  alittle kit for you containing coompund and everything, a lot cheaper than Halfords etc !

Mark

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2006, 23:37:43 »

Some guy told me the other day, that there is a polish or compound on the market that makes the chips less noticable, it has a colour in it.

Anyone used it?
« Last Edit: 26 July 2006, 23:38:26 by Boiler_Man »

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2006, 00:25:10 »

when i bought my omega it was 5 years old and 90,000 miles on it so it had a fair collection of stone chips.

I ended up biting the bullet and sending to a bodyshop, they charged me £400 for bonnet, bumper, front wings and blend into the door, mines a metallic so i didn't think that was too bad really.

If it is bad but you want the car then build that into the negotiation, mine was up for £3500, trust me i didn't pay nearly that much for it  ;)
« Last Edit: 27 July 2006, 00:25:46 by jay_w »

mar892ree

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2006, 14:44:41 »

Yea, the colored polish is CRAP !!!!

Saying that, its all about color match ! Rarely do you get a colored polish that will match you car perfectly so shows up worse than the stone chip !
All in all, the colored polish isnt really for anything other than very very faint scratchs in the paintwork !

The last time i used the colored polish was on a Premium metallic blue , and it showed up like hell ! It also gets underneath the laquer edges too and looks pants !!!

Save your money and buy some good rubbing compound and a little tin of paint !

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.