Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rust bubble  (Read 3556 times)

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Re: Rust bubble
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2006, 22:15:23 »

Do I detect a 'door repair party' - mine needs doing, and I ain't got a clue with bodywork. Or mechanics. Or electrics....

No reason why not ;)

Edit:- But i aint filling Bo Bo's Door :o
« Last Edit: 03 October 2006, 22:16:54 by Timbuk »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 October 2006, 22:24:59 »

Do I detect a 'door repair party' - mine needs doing, and I ain't got a clue with bodywork. Or mechanics. Or electrics....

No reason why not ;)

pmsl - the filler would weigh more than the car!

Shame about that door, as the bodywork on that one is excellent.  Thats the perils of jousting...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 October 2006, 22:34:06 »

No reason why not ;)

pmsl - the filler would weigh more than the car!

Shame about that door, as the bodywork on that one is excellent.  Thats the perils of jousting...

Yeah it is, especially considering its age

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 October 2006, 23:17:15 »

Judging by the number of complaints about this particular problem, it could be a rather large party!

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 October 2006, 10:05:51 »

The small bodyshop that repaired my car sprayed only the very top part of the door and broke the paint line at the sculptured indentation that runs across the door about 5 inches below the window rubber. You have to look very very close indeed to see the join between old and new paint.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 October 2006, 10:47:40 »

I have this trouble as well unfortunately, the worst rust I had was under the door strip so have started to sort this first.

I believe the window rubbers are screwed in place somehow, I think the screws are visible with the window down when looking in the seal.

HTH :)

By Markrl
There is no screw on the rubber windows seals they simply prise out. They are a fairly tight fit so use some sort of nylon lubrication (Holts electric window lubricant is good for the job) if necessary. You'll need to replace the rubber seal once out as they tend to go out of shape once pulled. Replacements are about £23 each. I have just had the same problem on a rear door (a small rust spot) repaired by my local body shop (in Sidcup) for £80 plus the cost of a new rubber seal. They have done an excellent paint job but the six million dollar question is will the rust come right back? - Time will tell how good the repair really was. What the cause of this problem which seems eventually to afflict almost all Omega's once they get past the 7 year mark I really don’t know for sure but I suspect its probably the result of poor manufacturing during the process when the panel was originally pressed (using stretched steel) as the paint actually seems perfectly fine. This type of problem has also affected the mighty Mercedes E class once again the result of poor manufacturing of a pressed and stretched steel panel. Corrosion in this area was never a problem on the Senator (although there were sadly many others) and seems to be a customer benefit introduced with the new Omega model.

:-[ apologies for the duff info, the last time I looked inside my door there looked to be screw holes on the inside near the top so I assumed they were for the weather strip.

Cheers for clearing this up markrl [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: 04 October 2006, 10:49:40 by nixoro »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #21 on: 05 October 2006, 10:34:05 »

Yep

I wil add my tuppence worth on this.....4 door omega, (obviously) 4 doors rusty ( obviously)

This started on mine under 5 years - when i got it. I SHOULD have sorted it under warranty, I SHOULD have investigated it before now as its now a darn mess but i am SCARED to look under the rubbers.

Dont think i will tackle this myself as its not something i have experience in, ashame as the rest of the car is perfect inside and out.

Its like a deviation of the phones 4u adverts "ashamed of your mobile"

I lean against the MV6 and stretch out in a constant terribly sorry old boy, I am a little tired to cover the worst rust when i am talking to anyone outside the car  ;D ;D
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 October 2006, 11:25:25 »

Me too!! :-[

Got rust on 3 doors now and don't know what to do about it. A door repair party sounds good [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Did think about putting into my mates garage as he does bodywork, but not sure if the cost will be justifiable. Also thinking about getting another later model Omega estate - either an Elite or MV6 if I can find one at the right price.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 October 2006, 12:24:20 »

I lean against the MV6 and stretch out in a constant terribly sorry old boy, I am a little tired to cover the worst rust when i am talking to anyone outside the car  ;D ;D

That should make the jockular meet a fun event. We will all be scared to leave our barges.
Mine is at the stage where is not really worth the money to sort out, you really need the knowledge yourself or have a very good mate now-a-days.

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2006, 12:29:12 »

Don't suppose the window sealing strip would be a Trade Club item , by any chance?  :(£23 is a lot for a bit of chrome and plastic especially if you need all four !! :o Mine needed 2 last time I could bring myself to look closely , but I tend to admire my car from a distance of a cople of feet away these days :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 October 2006, 17:59:37 »

not tc item...
Grumpy old man

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 October 2006, 21:09:21 »

Don't suppose the window sealing strip would be a Trade Club item , by any chance?  :(£23 is a lot for a bit of chrome and plastic especially if you need all four !! :o Mine needed 2 last time I could bring myself to look closely , but I tend to admire my car from a distance of a cople of feet away these days :(

You best hope you never need a body moulding then, rear quarter on an estate 70quid + vat :o

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 October 2006, 22:53:44 »

That should make the jockular meet a fun event. We will all be scared to leave our barges.
Mine is at the stage where is not really worth the money to sort out, you really need the knowledge yourself or have a very good mate now-a-days.
Yeah, Santa Pod could be kinda boring what with everyone standing around their own cars trying to hide the rust spots and making sure that others don't nick their headlight washers!  :o

OTOH, the g/f is now worried that Santa Pod will turn into a rust spot party . . .  :D
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 October 2006, 22:55:44 »

Yeah, Santa Pod could be kinda boring what with everyone standing around their own cars trying to hide the rust spots and making sure that others don't nick their headlight washers!  :o

OTOH, the g/f is now worried that Santa Pod will turn into a rust spot party . . .  :D
Tell her to bring her nail file ;D
Retired

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2006, 08:49:42 »

You won't see any rust bubbles on my MV6 at Santa Pod :D

Coz I ain't bringing it  :'(
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.