Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignition key issue  (Read 1341 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Ignition key issue
« on: 10 October 2006, 08:53:08 »

I posted previously about my friend from work's Elite with the stuck barrel. He now has had the old barrel removed and the steering lock removed.

How easy is it to fit another barrel onto this car now, and can anyone describe the process for me please? Can we change just the cylindrical barrel somehow or the whole assembly that's held with shear bolts?

Are there any electrical concerns that would require a Tech2 for any re-programming etc?

Await a response, this is a bit anxious :(

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition key issue
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2006, 09:07:46 »

in addition to the last post, the whole assembly has been removed, eg shear bolts and all.......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2006, 09:13:06 »

Soz, don't know about the mechanics of swapping, but as long as ECUs left alone, and transponder chips swapped over, then no Tech2 stuff needed...
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2006, 09:14:14 »

Cheers Jamie that's reassuring.

I'm sure Mark can advise on the mechanics, but I doubt it's going to be a problem now steering lock is off...

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2006, 09:29:24 »

You could order a replacement key and barrel from Vx so that you keep the same keys for doors ign etc, else find a scrapper that has both keys available and get the barrel.
In either case you need to keep the same immobilser unit (the bit that surrounds the lock) and the imobiliser chips (small black plastic bit inside key moulding) and remote fobs from the old keys.

Provided that the old lock case wasnt damaged during removal then it can be re-used with a new barrel. Use new shear bolts or M5 ? caphead screws.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2006, 20:24:42 »

I have a similar problem, but not as critical.  Key works in ignition and trunk lid, but not front door.  Trim panel has been off front door.  Wonder what they did that's not in the records and whether I can reasonably get the door rekeyed to the rest of the car?  My guess is that the door was replaced and they reused the old door card but not the lock.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2006, 11:38:41 »

I have a similar problem, but not as critical.  Key works in ignition and trunk lid, but not front door.  Trim panel has been off front door.  Wonder what they did that's not in the records and whether I can reasonably get the door rekeyed to the rest of the car?  My guess is that the door was replaced and they reused the old door card but not the lock.

Try soaking the door lock barrel with WD40 over a few days, it could be one of the tumblers is stuck with dried grease or gunge. If it does free it up then you can remove the barrel and strip out all the tumblers, clean out all the gunk, remove any burrs on an oil stone and re-assemble with a tiny bit of light grease.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2006, 13:29:54 »

Try soaking the door lock barrel with WD40 over a few days, it could be one of the tumblers is stuck with dried grease or gunge. If it does free it up then you can remove the barrel and strip out all the tumblers, clean out all the gunk, remove any burrs on an oil stone and re-assemble with a tiny bit of light grease.
Yeah, I'll give that a shot.  Has probably never been used.  Did mess around with it a bit trying to get it loose.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.