Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Secondry air valve  (Read 1615 times)

wigan pier

• Keep on Trucking
    • View Profile
Secondry air valve
« on: 10 October 2006, 05:48:27 »

Hi ,
  I noticed yesterday a loud hissing..it seems to be coming from the hose drivers side looking from the front from my secondry air valve on inspection it seems someone has taped it up..the amount of air escaping is huge..as I'm not even sure what it does yet (though I have read via my haynes manual that it seems to be involving the exhaust emmissions (could be wrong though) I obviously need a new hose..does anyone have an idea on the cost..is it a vx part only? and just what does it do? what does it affect..the engine seems smooth enough (on the driveway) is this comon ie will the valve need replacing..thinking if it was blocked it might have caused the failure of the hose? any advice would be more than welcome. (sorry slow learner to a point..but ok on bodywork  :))

Cheers Gord.
Omega 2.5 cdx and Vectra 2.5 cdx estate

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Secondry air valve
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2006, 08:20:00 »

The secondary air injection is a system where by air is blown into the exhaust manifolds for the first few minutes of startup, any unburnt fuel then ignites in the front pieps and the cats heat up a bit quicker.

This is done by a large blower which is mounted in the passenger side front wing, the air blows through a tube into the vac operated shut off valve mounted on the radiator (vac operated so when at Wide Open Throttle there is no air injection plus there is ECU control to via a vac valve).

One option is to remove part of teh air injection system and do away with it (I have) as its only required for manufacturer engien approval and is not part of the MOT.

This is easy to do and simply requires the inlet trunking removing and tehn removal of the satinless pipe assembly in fron to of the cambelt cover. You then need to plus the two small rubber hoses eitehr side of the cambelt cover to stop exhaust gases escaping (note, it doesn't actualy get hot exhaust gases to this point when blocked off). Interestingly, old AA batteries fit very nicely!

Then unplug the main connection to the air blower and you ahev a good effective fix

wigan pier

• Keep on Trucking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2006, 18:53:50 »

The secondary air injection is a system where by air is blown into the exhaust manifolds for the first few minutes of startup, any unburnt fuel then ignites in the front pieps and the cats heat up a bit quicker.

This is done by a large blower which is mounted in the passenger side front wing, the air blows through a tube into the vac operated shut off valve mounted on the radiator (vac operated so when at Wide Open Throttle there is no air injection plus there is ECU control to via a vac valve).

One option is to remove part of teh air injection system and do away with it (I have) as its only required for manufacturer engien approval and is not part of the MOT.

This is easy to do and simply requires the inlet trunking removing and tehn removal of the satinless pipe assembly in fron to of the cambelt cover. You then need to plus the two small rubber hoses eitehr side of the cambelt cover to stop exhaust gases escaping (note, it doesn't actualy get hot exhaust gases to this point when blocked off). Interestingly, old AA batteries fit very nicely!

Then unplug the main connection to the air blower and you ahev a good effective fix

Thanks Mark..I can stop worrying now  :y

wigan pier

• Keep on Trucking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2006, 00:43:44 »

Question ...would it do any harm to run it like it is for a short time?

Cheers Gord.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2006, 08:35:28 »

I run the estate like this all the time!

It realy makes cambelt access much easier to!

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2006, 11:28:00 »

Question ...would it do any harm to run it like it is for a short time?

Cheers Gord.

If you mean 'with the leaky hose' I would try to tape it up until you make a proper fix.

There is a non-return valve which in theory stops any exhaust gasses getting as far as the secondary air cut-off valve but these have been known to be leaky or fail completely. If the cut-off valve is open and the pump running then the air pressure forces cold air through the valve and into the exhaust, but if your pipe is split then the air pressure is reduced and if your non-return valve is tired then hot exhaust gasses can get as far as the plastic cut-off valve which wont like it.

I have seen lots of cars where the air injection hose has gone soft at the bend by the cut-off valve which seems odd for a hose carrying cool, filtered air. I wonder if the non-return valves are slightly leaky and letting hot gasses attack the rubber.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2006, 14:04:23 »

That is a VERY useful bit of information!  Cheers!

p.s. The way old AA batteries self-destruct and leak acid everywhere I might not use them.  Lost a nice GPS unit to acid from AA's  >:(
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2006, 18:03:14 »

Sorry if im being a bit thick but how does the one way valve prevent exhaust gasses coming back up the secondary and melting the rubber connecting pipes, its after the rubber pipes not before?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2006, 18:11:46 »

Sorry if im being a bit thick but how does the one way valve prevent exhaust gasses coming back up the secondary and melting the rubber connecting pipes, its after the rubber pipes not before?
I think he's talking about the hose on the top that goes to the solenoid at the top of the rad.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.