Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 97 2.0 Crank Sensor  (Read 1443 times)

SHARPEY

• Elland
  • Sod it i'm off to the pub !!
    • View Profile
97 2.0 Crank Sensor
« on: 08 October 2006, 20:25:42 »

Hi guys.

I have looked in the tech and questions section and cant find the answer to my problem (I may have missed it though). Had my Mega into the garage and the computer says the crank sensor is goosed. I went on ebay and got a new one after first checking with VX that I had the correct part number.

I am buggered if I can find the sensor on my car ! I did a google search and looked on the other VX owners forum and there are 2 photos on their. So I jacked the car up and got underneath. I took off the plastic cover that protects the underneath and looked around the oil filter are as mentioned on the other forum. Still no joy. Does anyone have any decent photos or good solid advice on how to find it cos it,s doing my head in !

Also I am thinking of selling the Mega and buying a better one. It needs a new gear box (doesn't like Drive but is ok in 3). Iv been informed by people on here that I should be able to pick up a god AR25 box for under £100 and it's a day job to change it. To be honest I really can not be bothered doing it so thought if anyone is interested in her then I will put her in the for sale section (would want around £450).

Cheers guys  [smiley=lolk.gif]  

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 97 2.0 Crank Sensor
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2006, 20:32:17 »

It is near oil filter on v6.  IIRC, its near front of engine on drivers side on 4 pots, and if you have aircon, that may get in way...
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2006, 20:33:58 »

Yeh...its behind the aircon bracket by number one pot....fiddly to get at but, just do able...

Remember, with any auto box fault....check the fluid level first.

SHARPEY

• Elland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2006, 20:38:31 »

Cheers fellas, I will have another look tomorrow.

The garage said the computer was coming up with a mechanical gearbox fault. Would that happen if it was just a low fluid problem cos they said it needed a new box. I will check the fluid when I have another look for the sensor.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2006, 20:45:53 »

Yep it could still be low fluid......check the manintenance guide....there is info in there on how to do it.

SHARPEY

• Elland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2006, 20:49:46 »

Cheers Mark I will have a look at that before I attempt it.   :)

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2006, 09:24:30 »

IIRC the sensor is on the right of the block as you are looking at it.  May have to unbolt the PAS pump to get the cable out though as mine was threaded behind the bracket.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
  • AAARRRRGGGGGGGGG, IT'S WAS ONLY A GLS!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2006, 10:14:58 »

Having just replaced my engine, I can confirm that the crank sensor is behind the large alloy bracket that holds the aircon and power steering pump on the right hand side of the engine as viewed from the front of the car. It is held in place by a single 10mm bolt. I couldn't see anyway of removing it without taking the bracket off, unless you break the bones in your wrist  ;D  Remove the three bolts holding the aircon pump to the bracket to allow access to the single torx that is hidden behind it. The other torx that hold the bracket on are fairly accessable but remember to remove the one holding the dipstick tube as well. A bit of a fiddly job but shouldn't take much more than 30 mins all in.

Hope this helps,
                      cheers Jim    
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

SHARPEY

• Elland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2006, 21:29:35 »

Thanks for that Jim. I have only just seen your reply as I turned the computer off the other night and have been driving for a couple of days. I tried changing the sensor on Monday night with a limited degree of success and swearing !

I managed to undo the bolt and remove the old sensor with not too much stress or breaking my wrist ! Then the swearing started. I managed to get the new sensor in and re-route the cable which took about 45 mins. Then came the point were I had to try get the bolt back in without being able to see the hole. NOTE TO SELF: NEVER EVER TRY THAT AGAIN YOU STUPID GET !

After around half an hour of painful and frustrating messing around I managed to drop the bolt. 'dangle berries' ! Just to add a tad of insult the bolt decided not to drop through to the floor but is probably laid somewhere in a crevis laughing at me. At this point I gave up but not before trying to bounce the car to get the bolt to drop....no joy.

So now I need to go and get another bolt and try take the bracket off first. Does anyone know the thread/bolt size/length so I don't have to get one from VX ?

I have a new found respect for mechanics after trying to change this sensor.
                                                                       >:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.