Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cruise upgrade problem  (Read 2519 times)

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
cruise upgrade problem
« on: 21 January 2007, 15:13:00 »

I'm in the process of adding cruise to an october 99 2.5 manual reflection - pre facelift.  The actuator and cruise stalk are in.  I've bridged out the socket for the clutch switch and checked that I have the 4 way brake switch fitted (with 4 cables).  The problem is the unit does not work!

On checking the cruise multiplug I get:

Pin    colour

A      black blue  :  no response to earth or 12v+
B      black yellow : +12v in response to button I
C      black brown : +12v in response to button R
D      black brown   : +12v
E       black  : +12v

I seem to get no response to pressing the brake switch at any of the pins including pin D although bridging out the clutch switch gave me 12v+ on D

I also do not get any response to pressing button O

The colours above do not match the Haynes diagram which is also a bit confusing.  

Before fitting I did test the cruise stalk to make sure it responsed to all buttons.  It did.

So I think I have two problems

1 no response to brake switch:  but if it was not connected I would not get 12v+ at pin D so I do not think this is the reason why it does not work

2 No response to button O via pin A.  I suspect this is the reason why it does not work

Does anyone have any clues here or pin readings that may help?

« Last Edit: 21 January 2007, 15:13:56 by jonathanh »
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re:  cruise upgrade problem
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2007, 15:17:26 »

Soz, mines an auto, so slightly different setup...

Are you sure your brake switch is the 4 pin one....
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2007, 15:31:34 »

As The Boy says - are you certain you have the 4 pin brake switch. I thought I had but it was just the 4 way connector and wires plugged into a 2 way switch.

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2007, 16:38:35 »

yep pretty sure as I've checked it against the pictures  in the how to.  I've got the one with the round half moon end to it rather than square.

I guess I'll take off the brake multiplug and test the switch as my next step just to make sure.

BUT according the haynes - no brake switch means no power at pin D so I am not holding my breath

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2007, 17:48:19 »

I've just checked.  I have a 2 pin switch so you guys were right.  It just looks EXACTLY like the picture of the 4 pin switch on the how to so fooled me.   Also, this confirms that the brake switch acts on pin A exactly the same pin as the 'O' button and NOT as per the haynes wiring diagram which says that the brake switch acts on pin D

Off to get brake and clutch switch now.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2007, 18:05:56 »

I've just checked.  I have a 2 pin switch so you guys were right.  It just looks EXACTLY like the picture of the 4 pin switch on the how to so fooled me.   Also, this confirms that the brake switch acts on pin A exactly the same pin as the 'O' button and NOT as per the haynes wiring diagram which says that the brake switch acts on pin D

Off to get brake and clutch switch now.....
Hopefully that should see you sorted then :y
Grumpy old man

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2007, 21:11:25 »

How come everyone but me has 4 wires going to their brake switch  :'(
« Last Edit: 21 January 2007, 21:11:40 by rpont »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2007, 21:45:50 »

How come everyone but me has 4 wires going to their brake switch  :'(
Sorry, don't know answer to that :(

Is yours a manual by chance?
Grumpy old man

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2007, 09:48:50 »

Is yours a manual by chance?
No it's an auto.

My thread about it:
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168876778

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2007, 09:52:15 »

no idea mate.  Mine's a manual and has the 4 wires in there although the colours do not agree with the Haynes book of lies.

This should not be the end of the world for you.  All is not lost because with a bit of work, I'm sure that you could patch the switch back into the loom on either pin A or D (of the cruise actuator) depending on which one is currently working.  This would probably mean patching in around near the 4 pin cruise stalk wiring.  Difficult but not impossible if you are happy with patching wires together.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2007, 10:48:59 »

Mine was the same, 2 pin brake switch that looked exactly like a 4 pin. It amazes me that car manufacturers still do such things. It's beyond me why they don't either fit the 4-pin switch to all models, or design the cruise module to work with the standard brake switch.

I'm sure the few pence they save by having cheaper 2 pin brake switches is more than cancelled out by the logistics of having two different types of switch on the production line when one would do perfectly well for all models!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2007, 11:51:21 »

Mine was the same, 2 pin brake switch that looked exactly like a 4 pin. It amazes me that car manufacturers still do such things. It's beyond me why they don't either fit the 4-pin switch to all models, or design the cruise module to work with the standard brake switch.

I'm sure the few pence they save by having cheaper 2 pin brake switches is more than cancelled out by the logistics of having two different types of switch on the production line when one would do perfectly well for all models!
Probably because the 2 pin one has been used on every Vauxhall ever made, so worth manufacturering it, and only fitting 4 pin when reqd.  I agree about modifying module, but maybe that is also an 'almost off the shelf' unit as well?

4 pin switches standard on DBW engines, as ECU needs to know when brakes applied anyway, regardless of cruise...
Grumpy old man

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2007, 17:32:56 »

Now I'm confused....

I decided to bridge out the two cruise leads on my brake switch multiplug as a temporary bodge until I get my hands on a 4 way switch.  

Everything worked fine on a test run, which is the good news but....  I also managed to dab the brakes with cruise engaged, result?  cruise disengages....  

The odd thing is that is disengages with a bit of a clunk- rather like a relay tripping out just under the steering column.  I do not get the same noise when disengaging using the 'O' button.

Anyway I'm still going to get the 4 pin switch but as I'm the curious sort, I'm wondering how the cruise unit is detecting the brakes coming on and deactivating.

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2007, 17:53:17 »

4 pin switches standard on DBW engines, as ECU needs to know when brakes applied anyway, regardless of cruise...

It can make life difficult like revving the engine slightly without going faster (forcing a switchover), but doesn't luckily on launches

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2007, 21:44:16 »

You get a similar clunk if you hit the clutch pedal.

Interestingly I did notice, when studying the wiring diagram, that the brake switch is effectively monitored twice by the cruise module. The normal contacts are monitored as well as the cruise specific contacts. No idea why. I suspect just monitoring the brake light circuit may not be 100% reliable.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.