Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front wishbones/bushes  (Read 855 times)

Liam

• Intermediate Member
  • Da Ghetto, Kempston Rural, UK
    • View Profile
Front wishbones/bushes
« on: 08 August 2007, 21:05:37 »

Hello all...

Been ages since i've posted on here cos the meggy has been pretty faultless.  That's 19 months and about 20,000 miles gone now and STILL my crank sensor and heater bypass valves haven't failed!  The occasional flicker of the EM light storing a code moaning about an oxygen sensor doesn't happen nowadays either!

But it's now broken and needs some love.  My ebay special £45 wishbones lasted 18 months and about 18,000 miles and now my wheels lurch all over the place under braking/acceleration and i've buggered the inside edges of two fairly reasonable tyres after having no choice but to use the car on a 1000 mile trip with no time to do anything about the bones :-[

So i was wondering what the generally done thing is by the chaps on here.  For the price (compared to originals) 18,000 miles isn't too bad for the ebay specials.  I could just get some more but part of me fancies something a bit better and longer lasting if the price isn't too bad.  So...

Are oem vaux wishbones still stupid money?

How much to autovaux charge and are theirs decent quality?

What about changing bushes alone?  How much are they from vx/autovaux?  There's some on ebay for the same price as the ebay special whole bones (£45) but who knows what quality they are?  I have access to a hydraulic press at work now so this is an option.  Is a press all I need if i go this route?  Is it an easy job?  I suppose i'd have to turn up a suitable drift?

Since i got my geometry done properly after my first wishbone replacement 18 months ago will the new bones/bushes sort out my geometry again and stop the shafting of my inner tyre edges?  Or ought I get the geometry done again after the new bones/bushes?

That's all i can think of to ask right now.  I remember the fun of trying to get those stupid vertical bolts back in, etc etc and can't wait to get stuck in again!!!  Thanks for any help...

Liam

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re:  Front wishbones/bushes
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2007, 21:18:32 »

What about changing bushes alone?  How much are they from vx/autovaux?  There's some on ebay for the same price as the ebay special whole bones (£45) but who knows what quality they are?  I have access to a hydraulic press at work now so this is an option.  Is a press all I need if i go this route?  Is it an easy job?  I suppose i'd have to turn up a suitable drift?.......
Liam

If you go along the route of pressing in new bushes be carefull. Because the wishones are just pressings spot welded togther they easily bend if you don't support them properly. I did it on my Senator years ago and had to make up a ring to support the back of the wishbone while I pressed them in & out.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2007, 21:19:31 by Andy_B »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2007, 21:34:57 »

The general view is to use cheap ebay ones sold by VSC. GM are silly money.

The key is to tighten up with car on ground, tightening up with car raised will cause premature failure.
Grumpy old man

Liam

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2007, 22:01:54 »

Hi there...

Thanks - would that be Vauxhall Spares Centre as in here... Ebay Link

So people think they're OK?  And would you recommend a full geometry afterwards (bearing in mind i had it done after the previous wishbone change), or perhaps just a cheapo place that will just check the tracking - i doubt my thrust angle has moved etc etc etc...

Cheers

liam

Liam

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2007, 22:07:09 »

The key is to tighten up with car on ground, tightening up with car raised will cause premature failure.

Yep i'm pretty sure i did that last time too.  Presumably has no effect on the vertical bolt and from looking at them it seems these are the ones that are worn.  Or totally ripped apart to be more accurate, and i cant say i'm surprised - seems like those vertical bolts are approximately 90 degrees from being in a sensible orientation!

Liam

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2007, 22:21:42 »

If you can get your backside down to Hemel Hempstead after doing it, http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk are recommended to sort your alignment, which can be affected by wishbones etc...   ....remember to metion OOF for a capped price.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.