Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Flat aero type wiper blades are they any good  (Read 1602 times)

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
Flat aero type wiper blades are they any good
« on: 03 March 2009, 19:15:52 »

Needing new wiper blades as its MOT time at end of month and ones a bit grainey  so wondered if the "new " flat aero type were any good /better/worse ? :-?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Flat aero type wiper blades are they any good
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2009, 19:18:00 »

Not so great on Omega's complex screen.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2009, 19:18:47 »

Saying that, will do the job, but the std ones work better, and last as long, and are cheaper ;)
Grumpy old man

Andyb

• Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2009, 19:59:02 »

i got a set from the bay and have had no probs with them there quiet and leave the screen smear free

Dodger

• Intermediate Member
  • Here in the sunny south!
  • I taught I saw a puddytat!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2009, 20:05:51 »

Just bought a set from 'tesco's' of all places!!! £3.95 each...
Seem to do a good job. Had mine a week, and the weather down here is p**s poor at present, (cats 'n' dogs) but they certainly 'hug' the screen, and are both quiet and efficien.
To me, they clear tthe screen better than the old ones, but that's my opinion. But for less than £4 each, and tesco's name on them..... :)
I always knew I'd inherit an estate, but I never thought this would be it!

RichardH

• Intermediate Member
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2009, 20:22:21 »

I would recommend them from my own experiences.  I have the Bosch Aerotwins on mine and they give a superior sweep over the wipers that were on the car when I got it.  

They only thing with these style blades is that they are not able to bend to match the curve of the windscreen on the nearside so you get a couple of inches that don't get wiped properly.  Not really noticeable though as it's the passenger side.

pauldmackay

« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2009, 20:48:39 »

Not so great on Omega's complex screen.

Agree there, tried them for about a day, then  binned them, reasonably okay, don't clean the outer edges of the screen as they don't bend/flex as well, 70+mph performance makes them worse, not the best on the omega windscreen, stick to the standard wiper blades, you want the best clearance you can get.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2009, 20:50:28 by pauldmackay »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2009, 20:48:44 »

For those claiming its better than the old ones they had on - obviously, as your old wipers were shot, thats why you are changing them!
Grumpy old man

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2009, 21:42:41 »

I got ones on Flea bay but they only lasted about 2 months before they started juddering about and smearing .... im glad i kept the originals in the boot . :y
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2009, 22:40:47 »

Well before they became multi spec available,I first saw them as a standard Audi part on an Audi and liked the clean simple lines so much, I got the audi wiper arms and married the fitting end onto the Omega arms with great success. I would think the blades could have been Bosch even if they were an Audi part. I can say they worked and cleared the screen fine. The car was my previous motor, a facelift MV6 which was tragically wrote off after a high speed altercation with a deer.I did consider switching the Audi fittings onto my present miggy but as I was aware after market ones could be had, I did'nt. I got these that are now on from ebay. They are not a patch on the modded Audi ones. I am going to try Bosch blades and see if they are better, it could just be a quality problem will post up if their any better ::) :y

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2009, 23:11:35 »

Thanks guys for the input  will source some genuine type ones I reckon  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2009, 01:15:48 »

For those claiming its better than the old ones they had on - obviously, as your old wipers were shot, thats why you are changing them!

any new wiper will be an improvment over the old set, unless somebody buys both sets and compares we wont be sure.

however, for me the main reason for trying the new style is to remove the problem of the concentrated spring pressure of the originals. This leaves exagerated wear. Yes Yes i can hear it from here...change the wipers more regular to aviod the wear. But with these new efforts, you dont need to be so concrened, as they have no springs on the blade and more even pressure accross the screen.

true enough they struggle with the tax disc area, but trust me, you wont notice, same as you wont notice the originals not coping either, although not as bad.

several manufacturers have moved to this style, although they see to it that the screen is flatter than on the omega.  ;)

ps should also add, the retro fit items have to use the original U shape on the wiper arm, this means the arm is a fraction more raised into the air flow, this causes a fraction more wind noise, BUT i have been buggering about with the park position, so mine are not set right at the minute, this wont help either. one day ill sort it out. ::)
« Last Edit: 04 March 2009, 01:22:11 by chrisgixer »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 March 2009, 07:49:03 »

I have been using the genuine GM aero type blades for just over a year and have found them perfectly acceptable in performance,but as previously said they don,t like the shape curves of the omega,s screen.When on park they are about 15mm away from the screen on the passenger side and have a reduced arch of cleaning on that side,but as don,t sit on passenger side to drive ,has little issues with it.Biggest complaint is the large white GM branded sticker on each blade that is constantly visible when driving so have stuck some black tape over it ..they do look quite smart,but agree the old Bosch style matched the screen curves better...it just seems to be a style thing really,and GM ones are quite pricey,even on TC.

RichardH

• Intermediate Member
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 March 2009, 10:52:06 »

I would always spend the extra and buy proper genuine blades rather than cheap brands as their is a noticeable difference between them.

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2009, 11:16:22 »

certainly worth paying for decent wipers. Personally am using Valeo, who i beleive, probably wrongly, are responsible for the original design?? They certainly where factory fit on Mrs gixers golf when she had it, they impressed me on that car.

Should also add, mine come with a black sticker, which turns yellow after a certain time period to tell you its time to change them. No doubt this will turn yellow too early to sell more wipers, and be annoying needing a bit of tape, but there you go.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.