Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: S2N wrap thread.  (Read 4348 times)

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
S2N wrap thread.
« on: 27 September 2006, 18:45:58 »

Batman here!

We gave the Batmobile to another team on Tuesday morning and they're off up to the Nurburgring. *Jealous*

Spent yesterday in a convoy of four, (Back to the Future Scirroco, Milky Bar Carlton, Safari Volvo and us in a Rover with a Union flag apinted over it and a set of dixie airhorns with me driving.), getting lost, narrowly avoiding locals and ragging around Naples trying to find Pompeii. Found it eventually, had a wander round, had something to eat then barreled up the A1 to Ciampino where we flew from this morning.

Robin's gone home to Scotland on a connecting flight from Luton, I'm at Scoob's house in Henley washing some clothes to use in a meeting tomorrow in Northampton.

The weekend is but a blur, but suffice it to say the whole experience blew my socks off.

Pic's and blow by blow account to come when the dust settles.
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Re: S2N wrap thread.
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2006, 18:47:34 »

Well done m8y  ;)
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2006, 18:47:39 »

Looking forward to full story, but well done!
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2006, 18:50:45 »

Glad you enjoyed it and are back safe Big Rod [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2006, 18:52:55 »

Look forward to hearing the full length version.

Glad you made it back ok.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2006, 07:15:39 »

Sounds like an excellent experience. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Looking forward to some photo's later.

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2006, 08:18:56 »

Looking forward to full story, but well done!
Likewise  [smiley=thumbup.gif]
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2006, 09:27:26 »

Well done Roddy, I trust all moving parts were kept sufficiently lubricated throughout the trip ;) ;D
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2006, 09:29:28 »

Well done Roddy, I trust all moving parts were kept sufficiently lubricated throughout the trip ;) ;D
Yep, they probably were.  [smiley=beer.gif]  ;D
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2006, 10:47:18 »

Nice one Rod [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Retired

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2006, 10:52:26 »

Well Done on completing the trip Rod  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

barton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2006, 17:34:06 »

Hey Rod,

seen pics of you and batmobile this morning, as Dougie's now back from S2N (MkII Cav SRi130  made it all the way back). Looks like it was a right good crack. We got about 500 decent images plus movie footage for website, won't be up for a while but when it is will pm the forum. Planning to run two six page features on S2N in the November and December issues of Total Vauxhall, also saw the milky bar Carlton you mentioned, right good turnout of Vauxhalls  :D

Barton

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2006, 11:48:23 »

Awsome Barton!!

Will look forward to seeing them.

How about this though!! I drive 2k miles in a £100 Omega, and other than the little issue with the handbrake shoe coming adrift, it never missed a beat!!

I get back to the UK, and hire a brand new Focus to attend work in Northampton on Thursday and the sodding thing broke down and had to be recovered!! If that wasn't bad enough, on my way to work this morning, the MV6 had to be recovered due to a failed fuel line!!!

I want my banger back!!

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2006, 11:55:08 »

Awsome Barton!!

Will look forward to seeing them.

How about this though!! I drive 2k miles in a £100 Omega, and other than the little issue with the handbrake shoe coming adrift, it never missed a beat!!

I get back to the UK, and hire a brand new Focus to attend work in Northampton on Thursday and the sodding thing broke down and had to be recovered!! If that wasn't bad enough, on my way to work this morning, the MV6 had to be recovered due to a failed fuel line!!!

I want my banger back!!

The old 2.0s were very misunderstood, they are reliable old buses

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2006, 15:09:34 »

This is probably going over old ground, but............................

There now follows a very brief synopsis of my trip to Italy with four hundred or so other like minded individuals. (Pics to follow once I get some tme to collate and upload them).

Day -1, Wednesday) One teammate, (Tomm), and I set off from Fife at around 5pm headed for Henley on Thames for a stopover and to pick up the other team mate, (Stu). by the time we'd crossed the border, the computer with the SatNav and toons on had overheated and thrown it's toys out it's pram. On arrival in Henley, we discovered that the paint had started to roll back over the bonnet of the car, so we quickly cut off the rolls of paint and touched it up at midnight, then drank some beer.

Day 0, Thursday) Up bright and early in order to fashion some sort of cooling mechanism for the computer. This worked, but on putting the screen back on, I managed to tear the ribbon cable! (Insert expletives of your choice here!!). About an hour of calling round found a second hand one identical to the existing one for sale in Reading. £150 and a HD swap later we were in business!! Made our way to Dover with me cringing in the passenger seat as the driver insisted on driving in lane 2 and predominantly lane 3!! I pointed out the fact that I had a couple of 'MLM's are self abuser's' style stickers on the bootlid and that it might be percieved he was being a bit of a hypocrite, but it fell on deaf ears. Fallout averted! Arrive in Calais and drank some beer.

Day 1, Friday) The start! Calais to Sarnen, (Switzerland). Around 100 crap cars convene in a car park just outside Calais. The cross-section of automotive scum was eclectic to say the least. Question:- How many Merc' limo's can you buy for £200? Answer:- Two!!! Anyway, off we went through France for Switzerland. It was fairly boring apart from getting lost trying to avoid Strasbourg at rush hour. The SatNav sent us down a road that hadn't been built yet!!! We weren't the only one's either. Arrive in Sarnen in Switzerland and drank some beer.

Day 2, Saturday) Sarnen to Aprica, (Italy). The drive through the Alpine passes was the 2nd most awsome thing I've ever seen. I thought Scotland had it licked for scenery, but it's not a patch on this!! Had a minor mechanical failure with the handbrake which was fixed with a hammer, a hacksaw and some epoxy resin. Job done!! Heard many storys about smoke billoowing out from the brakes of some teams cars, others whose hubcaps had melted. We stopped going down one of the last passes, to assist a Volvo estate with it's bonnet up. aparrentlty they'd been approaching one of the many downhill hairpin bends, applied the brake and the pedal went straight to the floor!! Brown trousers or what? Led ten bangers up a pass into Aprica with chronically bad headlights!! (Were overtaken on a blind bend by a Smart car!!  ) Arrived in Aprica and drank some beer!!

Day 3, Sunday) Aprica to Viterbo. Still some nice scenery today, but not as good as yesterday. The challenge for today was to have your teams photo taken at a designated petrol pump in five filling stations dressed as a character from Reservoir Dogs and holding a specific make of SuperSoaker water pistol. Subject to many drive-by shootings and got completely soaked on a number of occassions. Had someone reverse into the BatOmegaBile by accident and the pretty blonde driver sh*t herself as three burly blokes get out the car looking like the mafia!! Eventually got her to calm down and take our picture!! On arrival in Viterbo, were subject to a drowning on arrival at the designated car park, but got off lightly compared to the Honda Legend with no roof!! Drank some more beer and ate pizza!! (BTW, other than the tourists I didn't see one ugly person in Viterbo!!)

Day 4, Monday) Viterbo to Pinetamare. Called off todays challenges as we got caught in an almighty thunder/rain storm which denied us visibility of more than three feet. Found a Cafe and drank coffee till it went off!! Arrive Pinetamare and drank lots more beer!!

Day 5, Tuesday) Pinetamare - Pompeii - Rome Airport. As we were flying home, we gave our car to a team from Edinburgh, (Who'd totalled their tartan Sierra in a dodgem fight with a Montego!), who in return would take all my tools etc back to Scotland. Left the car with them and hitched a ride to Pompeii to do a bit of sight seeing before heading home. The BatOmegaBile was consequently thrashed round the Nurburgring repeatedly in under 11 minutes!! 10:42 to be precise!! They also managed to get the speedo to 140 MPH, (132 by GPS) on a downhill stretch of the A1 in Italy. Not bad for a 14 year old heap huh?!?!?!?!? I think beer figured in there somewhere too!!

Flew home on Wednesday.

Now here's the rub...............

I drove over 2k miles in a clapped out old wreck of a car and for by one tiny bit of maintenance, it never missed a beat. It also made it all the way round the 'ring and back to Scotland with no trouble!! It must've covered over five thousand miles in a week!! I get to Luton Airport and hire a brand spanking new Focus. It broke down and I had to get recovered!! I get in my own '02 plate Omega yesterday morning and it broke down and I had to get recovered!!

I want my banger back!!!!

One last thing.............

The driving in Italy can only be described as 'special'!! However, although it's to all intents and purposes a free for all and lanes on a motorway are nothing more than a suggestion, (Many stretches are 5 lanes wide with no markings!!  ), there's little or no congestion, and people move out of your way if you're going faster than them.

Gets my vote.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 17 queries.