Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand New car and oil consumption  (Read 2650 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Brand New car and oil consumption
« on: 08 October 2006, 20:57:21 »

Subject : Kia Sedona 2,9 v6 diesel

Come on guys hear me out and stop laughing  :D

Dad bought one 6 weeks ago, he is currently looking to buy property and due to this has done 2500 miles on his brand new car in that time.

Now its been driven methodically - never over 3000 revs, its never been abused and its never been over 70mph - lets face it could it go faster  ;D

Dads an ex traffic cop and city and guilds mechanic but a bit out of touch now with modern cars.

Our concern is in 2500miles the oil is nearly on minimum on the dipstick and his free servicing inverval is 10000miles. Frankly when its on minimum with 7500 miles till the next and first service i think theres a problem - you shouldnt need to fill up the oil on your brand new car!!!!

Its not leaking and its not been thrashed so guys....

Is this sing too much oil - should it go dealer asap - do brand new diesels use a lot of oil initially before calming down.

Anyone got any experiences?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

STMO123

Re: Brand New car and oil consumption
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2006, 21:04:44 »

Did he check the level when the car was delivered Markie?

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2006, 21:06:29 »

Did he check the level when the car was delivered Markie?

Yes matey - oil checked by him and me , hot and cold engine and on a flat surface.

Im outraged he bought a piece of junk like that so i was eager at the time to find/pick faults ;D
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2006, 21:07:32 »

Might be worth a  read of the manual :-/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2006, 21:08:58 »

You may find that is within 'manufacturers limits'.

My dad once had a brand new Vx Victor (going back quite a bit), but that used to use oil from new, in 'old money', about a pint every 300 to 400 miles.

Thing was, it never ever increased over the life of the car, he did about 120,000 miles in it.
I like red cars

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2006, 21:11:06 »

You may find that is within 'manufacturers limits'.

My dad once had a brand new Vx Victor (going back quite a bit), but that used to use oil from new, in 'old money', about a pint every 300 to 400 miles.

Thing was, it never ever increased over the life of the car, he did about 120,000 miles in it.

What! Bet he never had to do an oil change ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2006, 21:16:55 »

Probably thats the cause......not thrashing it!!!.....from what ive read recently....new engines need abusing a bit to 'bed'' in.

Read in Honest John today.....and i know hes not the fountain of all knowledge.....but he recomended new engines should never have there oil changed before 10k miles and then after the 1st 10k every 5k....

Plus ive also read that the best thing for a new car is giving it to a rental comp for a few months.....where the renters dont give a monkeys about the car

Dunno....just what ive read recently.. :-/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2006, 21:54:51 »

Dunno....

Correct....... ::)
I like red cars

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2006, 21:57:07 »

Dunno....

Miaoooow  :D ;D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2006, 22:04:20 »

Most car handbooks give an oil consumption per mile.   Don't have a handbook to hand, so cannot quote examples.  Have a look and you might be surprised that its within quoted limits.....   Manufacturers tend to quote on the outrageous end of the scale so that, when you compare, your consumption is less so all is good?

As you probably know, its not too unusual for a new engine to use more oil than first appears normal because it takes time for rings and bores to bed to each other.  Theres arguments both ways as to whether an engine needs the kid gloves treatment from new (like your dad has been giving it) or the balls out approach that a rental company or non-owner would.   Again I've seen it from both angles where brand new vehicles are put out for regular use.  It appears that modern engines, especially diesels, need the energetic/hard use.  The 'drive it like you stole it' approach appears to offer longer life, more power delivery and, ultimately, less oil consumption.

Just my tuppence....

B

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2006, 22:29:52 »

Dunno....

I think Hotel21 agreed with me  :)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2006, 22:39:57 »

And should have added.....since ive owned my 4 pot.....ive given it stick....now and then.....it was using a litre of oil every 8k miles when i first had it......42k....its done now nearly 80k....and using less oil now..... ;)

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2006, 23:53:07 »

Thrashing is good - but not too hard - best is varied driving

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 October 2006, 09:57:10 »

A real can of worms this one eh....our concern is that the oil to me is on the low marker on dipstick. Now unless it as of today uses no more oil for 7500miles then its gonna be below minimum  :o

We are gonna take it to the dealer to get their verbal okay on it......at least alert them.

As for thrashing come on guys - they dont even quote a 0-60 time  ;D its really a bus!! and complete junk ( but he is happy and it serves his purposes)

Seeing as i have stated a debate......if we are fillling it with oil - full or semi syn ???

JOOOOOOOKE  ! :D

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 October 2006, 13:41:58 »

I looked at the Kia Sedative when we needed to replace the wife's car. Didn't get one but roomy enough etc.  The engine however was the 3.0 diesel from the Mercedes sprinter!, so shouldn't have any reliability issues there.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2006, 16:37:29 »

Just for the record the X25DT Omega engine should use 0.15l/100km therefore it only takes 1000km,or about 700mile to go from min to max on the dip stick.

The petrol versions should use .075l/100km so will reach minimun in about 1500 miles.

First thing i'd do is check the owners manual before you steam into the garage saying the cars crap just to be told its supposed to use that much!!  :)

Doughboy

• Edinburgh
  • ?% Tax on Fuel, Fags and beer(I luv em all) bstds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 October 2006, 17:41:26 »

I got a New Vectra Estate 2.0dti as a company car about 5 years ago. It drank the oil like it was going out of fashion ;D
Asked Vx and they said it was normal on that car, it stopped being such an oilaholic after about 35k.

Boss was a bit annoyed as I kept topping it up with Gtd Magnatec or something (the expensive stuff) ;D ;D
[size=20]I want that one!!![/i][/size]
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.