Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Change  (Read 9638 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Oil Change
« on: 31 August 2006, 15:33:48 »

Oil & Filter Change

This is a maintaince guide on how to change the Oil & Filter on your Omega.

Car Featured: 2000 Model Facelift 2.2 Saloon

This method will apply to both facelift & pre-facelift. Although on V6 models the oil filter is in another location.

Tools Needed

- Oil Filter (GM Brand Recommend, they are less than Halfords prices from a Vauxhall Dealer!) - Even better if you have Trade Cub (£1.06)
- Trolley Jack
- Axel Stand
- Torx Size 45 (or 17mm socket for old style bolts)
- A new copper washer if using old style sump bolt, new one has integrated rubber seal.
- 5 Litres of Oil for 2.0 & 2.2 Engines (4.5 Litres will acutually be used)
- 10 Litres of Oil for 2.5, 2.6, 3.0, 3.2 (5.5 Lites will acutally be used)
- Oil Filer Removal Tool (Users with 2.0 & 2.2 engines will not need one)
- Some kind of low lying stacker, needs to be able to roll underneath the car, when its not jacked up.
- Loads of paper towels!

Changing the Oil

First off you want to check the condition of the oil, the red circle shows the "Oil Filler Cap". The red arrow marks the "Oil Dip Stick" - Remove this and check the condition of the oil.

Before changing the oil, take the car for a 10 min run or so to get it up warmed up to normal operating temp. Then park on a level surface and leave it for a few mins before starting the change.

The oil should be fairly clear, if you put your finger in the oil, you should be able to see your finger though it. The image below shows Oil which is in fair condition and needs to be changed.

First off remove the oil filler cap to let the oil drain better, circled above in the first image. Depending how slim you are, you maybe able to reach the oil sump plug without the car being jacked up. However the job is a lot easier with the car up, place your trolley jack under the front passenger side of the car. Jack it up, and place the axel stand as shown:

Looking underneath the passenger side of the car, towards the front. The sump plug can be seen here circled:

Please exuse the bright green crud seen, I had an air-con leak.

And looking towards the drivers side front door, from underneath the car:

You need to un-do this sump plug, if the plug is difficult to get out or the head is beginning to strip. Get another sump plug before removing the old one!

Position your stacker underneath the car & the sump.

Take the car, off its jack & axel stand. Then reach under the car and remove the sump plug. (You can do this the other way around if you can't reach)

You should see the oil poor out like this:

It will very quickly become a slow trickle, but leave it for about 20 mins to make sure all the oil comes out.

Now you need to turn your attention to the oil filter. On 2.0 & 2.2 models the oil filter is located towards the front of the engine mounted vertically. Basically right under your nose when you open the bonnet.

For V6 owners, the filter is located towards the rear of the engine on the passenger side. This can only be reached with the passenger side of the car jacked up. Please put the car on an axel stand, as you don't want the car to fall on you.

The oil filer should look something like this:

Twist it anti-clock slightly to let it dip with oil, its best to put some peice of carboard or something underneath the filter to channel the oil away from the plastic undertray and into you stacker on the ground.

When you remove the filter, oil will go everyware! Make sure you have loads of paper towels to hand.

Once the filter is off & disposed off. You need to clean the mating surface:

Try and get this as clean as possible, the cleaner the better for the new filter.

Replace the sump plug and torque up to 10Nm for torx type sump plug and 55Nm for older hex bolt with copper washer.

Now get your new oil filter, and fill it half way up with the new oil. This prevents a large amount of air being taken in, also dunk your finger in the oil and run it around the edge of the rubber filter. Older cars have a metal washer, and this does not need to be done.

Screw the filter on, and make sure its hand tight.

Now unscrew the oil filler cap, and add about 3.5 Litres of oil (about 4.5 for V6 engines).

Let this settle for a few minites, and take a dip stick reading.

WARNING - It only takes 1 litre of oil from the Min Level to the Max level so don't overfill.

Once the oil starts registering on the dip stick, start the engine and let it run for a minite. Then turn it off, wait a minite or so and take another reading.

Keep on doing this until the level hovers just under the 'Max' level.

Put the oil filler cap back on and poor the old oil back into the containers you used for the new oil, and take to your local tip.

This is what my oil looked like:

This guide is not quite finished, I need to add pictures of Vx Oil & Filter.... but anything i have missed or errors that might be there, please let me know in a general chat thread or PM me
« Last Edit: 24 July 2007, 14:14:34 by TheBoy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.