Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auxilliary belt confusion  (Read 1828 times)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
Auxilliary belt confusion
« on: 29 September 2018, 11:09:54 »

Having just replaced the cam belt on my 2.5 V6 (and a whole host of other things in the engine bay), I've just been looking at the auxiliary belt which came off and is 2030mm and is questionable whether that is stretched, or just the right size.

The listings for a 2.5 V6 show so many options - It appears the options are for a 2260mm belt (far too long and I can't imagine it fits any of the V6 engines), 2020mm, and there's even a 2030mm belt available, so my question is......  do I get another 2030mm belt, but if that stretches it will obviously not be a good option.

Past experiences have shown some aux belts are too tight and can cause problems. Incorrect alignment of the alternator pulley has been mentioned before which would make a 2020mm belt too tight - some even mentioning it's too tight to fit easily. I've had a good working alternator prior to fitting a tight belt, and that just resulted in it screaming after a period of time - in the end the car (Vectra 2.5) got sold with the scream.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this. Maybe I should just put the 5 year old belt back on, as I know it fits well. Maybe belts don't stretch that much? What do others think? 
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Auxilliary belt confusion
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2018, 11:28:22 »

With power steering and aircon, I would have thought the longer belt would be most appropriate :-\

What do Vauxhall say?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2018, 14:17:24 »

Are the numbers still visible to suggest 2030mm? (Seems unlikely unless it's very new.)

2020mm is correct for a 2.5 V6 with aircon.

2030mm doesn't seem to be correct for any Omega or Cadillac V6. Which is not to say that the tensioner can't take up the excess slack.

2260mm was used with a secondary guide roller that was apparently installed on some early V6s, I suspect not European market models. Probably only Japan. And in any event was superceded by 2020mm by omitting the extra guide roller. So not relevant to you.

I would be inclined to replace the belt if it is suspect, if only to reduce the chance of the car breaking down due to loss of alternator, power steering assist and water pump if the belt were to break. Any reputable make like Contitech should be fine.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2018, 18:56:31 »

Buy the correct 2020 belt and don't worry about it stretching - they're very reliable.
You DO need to ensure that the bearings in the tensioner pulley are in good condition and lubricated. They are the biggest cause of serpentine belt failure, so its worth greasing them every time you remove the belt. New pulleys are about £10, so replacing a suspect one isn't a big deal.

olm

• spain
    • 3.2 v6 sport estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2018, 23:43:05 »

2020 is recommended, my car use this, but in replace, I needed 2030 because 2020 was short

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2018, 23:52:50 »

I'll try a 2020 belt, but if it's tight and difficult to fit (a well respected member of this forum will verify that scenario), then I'll go for a 2030 belt. It will probably have to come from a local factors for an easy exchange if required.

Thanks all for the input  :y
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2018, 08:16:14 »

I thought v6 with aircon used a 6pk2020.
Hoof'land storeman.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2018, 11:25:30 »

I thought v6 with aircon used a 6pk2020.

That's the main reason of the O.P.

I've seen 2020 belts being fitted, which are a struggle to get on, forcing the tensioner to full deflection. The belt I have taken off is 2030 and fits a treat. I can't imagine a belt of this type stretching by 10mm, hence the question. If they do stretch, then a 2030 will be sloppy after a while?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2018, 12:47:22 »

The 2030 should be fine and dont buy cheap tat, heres one that lasted 6 months / 5000 miles from new, and the center bearing was still lubricated and spinning freely.  ::)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.