Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio interference - demister  (Read 1598 times)

V8S

• Intermediate Member
  • Dorset
    • View Profile
Radio interference - demister
« on: 17 December 2007, 16:00:34 »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else gets radio interference when they press the rear (and mirror) demister button. I'm assuming it has something to do with the sampling fan, or some unshielded wiring. The interference fades to nothing after 20 or so seconds.

-
Graham

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
Re: Radio interference - demister
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2007, 17:55:04 »

yep, its cos the antenna for the radio is built into the rear screen, perfectly normal, annoying... but normal

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2007, 18:32:03 »

yep, its cos the antenna for the radio is built into the rear screen, perfectly normal, annoying... but normal

No interference on my car from radio & demister.  ;)

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2007, 19:09:28 »

No interference on my car from radio & demister.  ;)

if you're listening to a station with a strong signal it'll be very minimal or as in your case, non existant

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2007, 22:08:05 »

My heated rear screen wipes out the radio completely.

The likelihood is that there's either a loose connection in the heated rear screen circuit that's arcing a little and generating RF noise, or that one of the tracks in the heated rear screen has been scratched and it's arcing a little. It's the latter on my car, I suspect.

Wait until there's a light mist of condensation on the screen and then switch it on. Look for tracks that aren't heating  and clearing the window, or for hot spots where there is more condensation clearing. A conductive paint may be successful in repairing the hot spot, or you could scratch through it completely to stop it arcing and interfering with the radio.

If the screen looks OK I'd check the connections to the screen, the preamp unit under the parcel shelf and to the chassis ground to which the screen is connected.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2007, 22:15:38 »

I get no interference at all from rear screen, but the minute I pluged a phone charger into the rear lighter socket the radio was unuseable .. took quite a while to discover a loose connection on the earth side of the lighter.

My point is that a simple wiring problem can give lots of radio interference, and can be very hard to trace, the only way to do it is logically check all connections from the suspect area back to the fuse box ... but don't forget the earth side as well !!!
« Last Edit: 17 December 2007, 22:16:47 by entwood »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2007, 22:39:14 »

Some chargers, sat navs, etc. generate quite a bit of radio interference due to the crude switching supplies they have, but anything in the car's electrical system could potentially interfere with the radio and since the heated rear screen connects the antenna to the car's electrical system, the symptoms may only appear eith the heated screen on.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2007, 20:43:16 »

I don't get any interference when I switch on my rear demister 'cos I don't get any flippin radio signal at the best of times ;D All part of the fun!

Humpy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.